cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Drag-U-La looks for new haunts, Ducati's new adventure tourer, Ken Block's vintage Audi rally romp

Intake: Fifty-seven years ago this month, CBS television launched The Munsters, a spooky sitcom known not only for its ghoulish characters but also for its crazy custom cars. One of the most famous was Grandpa's gold-flake Drag-U-La. Its first appearance on the show was love at first fright for Herman Munster, who praised his father-in-law's car-building skills.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-manifold/2021-10-01/
10 REPLIES 10
merlebalke
Advanced Driver

I really hate those Barris TV and movie cars.
hyperv6
Engineer

The question is this. Is this the real car from the show and movie? 

Or is this one of the many reproduction that have been made over the year. 

Some of these were reproduced to a very high level so documentation will be important. 

Tinkerah
Technician

The article claims it is one of five the shop built "for the show", but I agree. Also whether or not it was used on screen, which no one kept track of back then. They may not even be numbered. Lack of documentation should be reflected in the final price - but likely won't be.
Zephyr
Instructor

Can the Drag-U-La be licenced and driven on the street?
hyperv6
Engineer

Depends on where you live. It has lights but no mufflers so you may get away in some places not others.

Also note the bubble cover will kill you in the bright sun and you will not want to be in it long.

This was a show car for TV that really was not intended to be driven much. Ride and handling will be compromised.

But if you build a copy it could be built to deal with the streets better and even add AC.
Tinkerah
Technician

Legalities aside, it would be a risky thing to drive with any enthusiasm. Just from the single photo shown it's clear there are no front brakes and those front spindles, as elegant as they look, would not hold up on a bumpy curve. Who knows what other corners were cut in the rush to build a car that only had to look good on camera pulling into frame. I heard somewhere they were churning these things out with as little as two weeks' lead time.
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

I L-O-V-E those Barris movie/tv cars. Real innovation.
Tinkerah
Technician

I LOVE most of them, like some and can't stand the sight of a few but deeply respect the creativity brought to bear on each and every one.
SJ
Instructor

Mecum’s 2022 Kissimmee Auction is featuring one of the five Drag-U-La coffin cars that Barris Kustoms built for the show
My understanding is that the fast chargers reduce battery life significantly.
AG1962
Advanced Driver

The Munsters scanned as sweetly ghoulish or gothick-camp to mainstream North Americans, I think (as far as I can tell). To those of us of recent immigrant background, they were eerily familiar as mirror images of our own different origins and culture, and of our attempts to assimilate enough to “make it” or be accepted, such as sometimes elaborate but still outlandish versions of Anglo customs, lifeways, etc. — think “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”, the ‘advent’ of the Hannukkah Bush, or the embrace of disco culture, coiffure, dress, jewelry, etc. esp. by young people of certain ethnicities in the 1970s. The Munsters’ Barris rides struck me, when I was a kid, as weirdly similar to a lot of other ethnic attempts to “keep up with the Anglos” — but way cooler. IF ONLY Mr. XYZ next door had had a Drag-U-La in his garage instead of a Buick!