cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Don't underestimate the fun of driving fast in a slow car | Hagerty Media

To relieve the COVID cabin fever, the pilots down at my local airport have been organizing leisure drives almost every weekend since March. Once-sometimes twice-a weekend, the security gates slide open and out files a procession of the kinds of classic and exotic rides that hide in the hangars of every small airport in America.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/its-more-fun-to-drive-a-slow-car-fast-than-a-new-car...
109 REPLIES 109
KenO
Pit Crew

I agree in ratio to my age ... Being 73, I have seen and done things others only dream about.
My choice of a 'slow' car might be at the upper end of slow; I drive a smart car, a Brabus to be exact.
It provides all the stares of a 2CV, with the handling of a CanAm, at the speed of an MGA.
It's fun for me.
But the mayor thinks I drive too fast, when I make a turn on a 25 mph roadway at 25 mph.
grierf1
New Driver

I’ve been driving my slow old 63 M38A1 for 51 years and 99% of the time it still puts a huge smile on my face. A recent engine rebuild has brought back its original power curve and I might be able to go as fast as 50 MPH! Believe me, that’s as fast as you want to go on non-directional military tires coupled to a sloppy steering box. A thrill a minute!
DD21
New Driver

After a few decades of club racing, track days and HPDE instructing, I hung up my racing helmet a few years ago and picked up a 2014 Ural. I can honestly say it is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It's slow, quirky and unrefined, yet every ride is like being in a parade. I've never owned a vehicle that elicits so much excitement from people as I slowly ride by; it's always a steady stream of thumbs ups, waves, horn honks, huge smiles and shoutouts. I've given rides to over 100 people, most of them strangers who simply wander over with wide-open eyes when I'm parked at a coffee shop or store; they start asking questions and eventually ask if they can have a ride. Riding a Ural definitely epitomizes the joy of life in the slow lane.
GSPenthusiast
New Driver

All I can say is taking my Triumph TR4A out on a windy road is a whole lotta fun at 45 mph!!!
Maestro1
Instructor

Thank you Aaron and you bet. I have a small, slow, 41 year old Japanese pickup truck that does errands, parts stores, grocery shops, the girls learned to drive a standard transmission on it, and I
have gone as fast as 85 miles an hour in it, indicated. I think the speedometer is in the ballpark regarding indicated speed. It starts and runs every time for the last thirteen years I have owned it.
The truck, known as The Puppy, has new brakes, shocks, and tires a year ago and is a prince on the road with the exception of wind noise and road noise. When it has been necessary and the Puppy was used for emergency purposes, it went like the wind. Maybe a breeze. Thanks again
balzanr
New Driver

Point well made ! I hadn’t ever specifically thought about it until now but my favorite cars, motorcycles or gu s to shoot haven’t always been the biggest or most powerful or best handling etc ... I think it is more about the overall feel or the challenge of it. Biggest and baddest doesn’t necessarily do it for me !!! Sometimes it’s just a personal love for me like my 99 Jeep which has just proven itself to me so many times
menelson1961
Pit Crew

In my previously owned C6 Corvettes, if I revved to 7000 RPM in 3rd gear, I would be doing about 90 MPH. In my MX-5, that almost gets me to 45 MPH. I like driving hard but still not being a menace to the general motoring public. The fact that the MX-5 costs less than 1/2 of what any of my Corvettes cost is just icing on the cake.
02-orignal-ownr
Detailer

Absolutely agree--my daily driver for 14 years was a 28 hp Renault 4CV (gradually enhanced to a screaming 40 or so hp with a little old-fashioned hot-rodding). I drove it well over 100000 miles, through 20 US states, another half-dozen in Mexico, and crossed Kenosha pass--10000 ft in Colorado. I even (successfully) autocrossed it. Learning how to drive a slow car quickly is a great education for handling more powerful machines.

I've also clocked more than a few miles in a 1948 Fiat Topolino--the high-powered OHV version--16 1/2 hp vs it's flathead predecessor's 13. That included a 400+ mile trip from upstate NY to SW Ohio when it was unrestored, and limited to about 35 mph by a very ominous rod bearing knock. But I made it.

Both are great fun to drive, and handle surprisingly well.
KBetts
Intermediate Driver

Great points. The more engine the more braking and acceleration which take little if any skill. If you have a small engine you're forced to keep it in the right gear.
The only other point is that you should learn in the dirt which provides lessons in tracking and throttle control as well as suspension loading/unloading, and counter-steering. Most of those lessons transfer to 4 wheels. My 1991 Suzuki DR250S was a blast except for the difficulties kick starting it.
Guitar74
Gearhead

Mom took me to the scout camp just outside of town to throw her 5 spd V6 Ranger into a slide as well as learning to control it with the throttle and correct it. It was a snow covered parking lot so it was a lot of fun as well as teaching me how to maneuver a car in less than perfect conditions. I also got to lock the hubs and see how much different trying to correct with the front wheels engaged was. I can tell you.....It is a big difference.