cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Don't call it a Coyote: This Honda K24-based V-8 could be a 990-hp banshee | Hagerty Media

If you've ever been down the engine-building rabbit hole far enough, you know there's an endless number of imagine-if powerplants. With the right tools and enough time, a builder can treat whole cylinder heads like Lego bricks, piecing together a rotating assembly to make everything work together-which is exactly what mechanical engineer Craig Williams has begun to do with this Honda K24-based build.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/dont-call-it-a-coyote-this-honda-k24-based-v-8-could-be-a-990-hp-...
11 REPLIES 11
drhino
Instructor

Interesting article.
There is reference to a “rear windshield”. Always makes me cringe when that is said or written; a true oxymoron (like “jumbo shrimp”—invoking George Carlin). The windshield is in the front; shielding you from the wind. The rear glass is the backlite; at least that’s what I always believed.
ToniFHarder
Pit Crew

Some people drive so slow that need a rear windshield to avoid mosquitos hitting their back.
Tinkerah
Technician

I sincerely enjoy this type of vocabulary trivia. Thanks!
PhillipThomas
Pit Crew

Absolutely nobody refers the rear windshield as a backlite in common linguistics.
And you ever driven a car without one? It's quite windy.
mbseaman
New Driver

My initial reaction is that this is a cool idea but it looks like intake and exhaust packaging in a vehicle would be problematic. On the intake side, I suppose twin turbos might make sense but there is all the plumbing, intercooler(s) etc that would require a lot of space.

Similarly, how do you design an efficient exhaust system and deal with its associated heat? Especially in a front engine car.

I have to assume this engine is destined for race duty in an open wheel, rear engine car like an Indy car.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Thinking about a NSX swap, what about the turbo V6 from the Buick Grand National or even better the GNX! That would be cool. Aluminum LS V8... cool too. Could a new vette drivetrain fit in the NSX I wonder! Now that would be awesome.
TonyT
Instructor

With a timing cover at both ends of the block, how does the flywheel and starter enter the picture?
GlidingPast
Pit Crew

Doesn't look slimmer. One is dry sump (apparently) and one is not. Make them both dry sump and the Coyote is the slimmer engine. Having a slim bellhousing usually means limited holding power or extreme dollars to make up for that design choice.
TG
Instructor

I have always wondered why more manufacturers do not run the exhaust through the valley. It would seem that natural convection/stack effect would tend to drive better scavenging if the exhaust ports were higher than the intakes
Tinkerah
Technician

Seems like a monumental amount of re-engineering to avoid a cam drive puzzle.
sgrant
New Driver

BMW N63 v-8 has turbos and exhaust inside the V, think they call it a Hot V or something like that.