cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you speak hot-rodder? 35+ terms for high-powered fluency

Car lovers have a language all their own, and each sub-genre of car culture has its own dialect. The meanings of some words are immutable, while others change wildly over time and in different regions. Just try to get five people to figure out what “muscle car” truly means. Despite the debates that rage on, we’ve picked out some common terms to help explain some essential hot rod and custom jargon, along with photos to help out.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/do-you-speak-hot-rodder-35-terms-for-high-powered-fl...

Replies (26)

Replies (26)

There was "ported and relieved," which referred to maximizing the breathing ability of a flathead by enlarging the intake and exhaust ports and unshrouding the valve pocket on the top of the block. And how about "uncorked," which is a car with open headers. Don't forget "sleeper," because that stock-appearing car in the other lane might have a nasty surprise lurking under the hood.

Intermediate Driver

Your "Highboy" hot rod is a lowboy...

New Driver

Thanks for "Ugga-dugga", Brandan.

Been doing this stuff since the late 1960's, and that's one I'd never heard.

- Jim

Intermediate Driver

Very informative! Nice machines!

Pit Crew

I recall, knew most of the names but I thought the article was going to be more inline with "Hot Rodder Terms", you know the way we spoke back in those "Hot Rod Days" ; terms like: (explanations provided but for some not needed)

Fish Tail - making a bend or burning out and having the rear end go side to side.

Lay Some Rubber - burning out, see who could put a bigger, blacker strip on the pavement.

Spin Out - Sort of the same as "Fish Tailing".

Pop The Clutch - getting those RPMs up and then, well "popping the clutch".

Roll Back - Mostly with automatic transmission and low horsepower rides; you'd put it in reverse, get it going backwards then slam it in drive and...yep "lay some rubber".

Power Break - Again, only in automatics, holding the brake firmly, getting those RPMs up and then quickly releasing the brake, and once again "laying some rubber".

Title for Title - If you knew you had a fast ride and somebody pulled up next to you on the local roadway (always was a special road in the area where you would cruise and race); windows down, you're both revving, and you would yell; "Title for Title", whoever wins gets the other guys car (title) - I actually heard it allot but barely ever seen either driver follow through; sort of a "flexing muscle" type thing

Cherry Bombs - Those "Thrush" RED mufflers you'd put on after you took off the original big flat ones - they sounded great and the decal you got looked cool on the side window.

Cleveland Lean - This was probably only used in my area (Ohio); it was when you were driving your arm would be hung over the steering wheel and you would lean to the right where you were actually almost in the middle of the front seat while driving, just a "Cool" look while cruising.

I can give many more and most of these terms applied to something you did that wasn't really that great for the car itself, but its' how we got to be good "Shade Tree Mechanics"; we kept blowing clutches, popping pinion gears, ruing drive shafts; so we had to fix them.  Hey before I go; anybody remember that when you wanted your "windows tinted" you would do it with a "spray (rattle can) tint".  You would spray the tint as close to the window and let it drip down - wait for it to dry - BANG! You got your tint.  Took a little talent; I was the got to "Window Tint" guy in the neighborhood.  

Just a few of the "lingo" I grew up with and heard when you we were hanging out at the local burger joint or Pizza Shop.

Guess I'm getting.......na, got there - OLD

New Driver

"driver" and "trailer queen". "30/30 car" i.e Show Car. At 30 feet/30 mph, that's a show car. Of course that extrapolates out as 40/40. 50/50, etc. As for quality of bodywork "sack of antlers/walnuts". Hmmmm, maybe I was hangin out with a bunch of disgruntled hot rodders... On a more positive note "3 deuces", "2-4s" for multiple carbs, "rat roaster" which is the Chrysler 2-4 cross ram intake manifold. 

Passenger

Just wanted to say thanks for the terminology lesson.  I am just getting into vintage cars and this article helped tremendously!!!! 

THANKS

New User

I had not heard of Ugga-dugga, but I like Edd  China's term for it:  "Windy Gun"

New Driver

learn something new everday 

Passenger

I'm really old so I remember all most all of them. 

Pit Crew

You got the Highboy and Lowboy swapped.

New Driver

“Cherry”...as in “ that 57 Hemi is cherry!” Meaning perfect, or great condition...

Passenger

How about "street rod" and "Q-ship"?

New Driver

Lakes pipes get uncapped for track use, and they are much quieter inside the car than cutouts under the car. When I open my cutouts, the change in the console jumps around and my chest hurts from the noise! 

Lot of cars were fat fenders. A friend who is an award winning restomod builder of 30's and 40's cars, and daily drives a '38 Chevy, even refers to PT Cruisers as fat fenders.

New Driver

So, the only 'Fat Fenders' out there are Fords?

Pit Crew

Got to admit I was liking cars for a long time but some of the terms were new to me. I wanted to make thigs so I became a draftsman. Never got to use those skills  1992 I designed a car. Here is what I wanted to build.  https://youtu.be/WBwdE7zGPt4

Passenger

A couple of words all rodders know, "Yo-Yo" and "Squirrel"  Still see the odd one to-day.  If you have to ask what these terms referred to, you are either not a real hot-rodder or you're one of them. (Builder of a '27 T 2-dr coach/312 'Bird powered), Bert

New User

There are no photos of a "high-boy" in this article!!!  The first picture is of an Indy or Lakes style low-boy.  In the low-boy photo, both are low-boys, especially the gold one!!!

Nosed and decked are usually used together. . .You never see a car that has been nosed and not decked and vice-versa.

New Driver

The sheer number of terms shows just how important these cars were. O'course, emissions controls with computers  [putting modifications out of the reach of many], along with the new & improved high strength body panels, air bags, and other technical additions really, really put a damper on all innovation. Instant gratification certainly plays a part, as well.

New User

Here's a few I thought of - mags, meaning wheels - pipes, meaning duel exhaust - slicks, meaning tires with no tread for better traction - power shift, fast shifting of gears -  stroked & bored, lengthened movement of the piston and bored out for larger pistons - rolling start, starting a drag race, usually on the street, from a slow speed rolling rather that a full stop.  

New User

You define Lakester, and show two examples, and simply call them “streamlined” without noting the most interesting thing about them - that they were made after the war from P-38 or P-51 belly tanks. 

New User

Thanks for this glossary. As a U.K. member I’m often ‘behind the 8 ball’ in understanding what’s being spoken of.

Pit Crew

Weed Burners: Exhaust headers generally on a Rat Rod, Low Boy or High Boy that exit  close to the ground.

New User

Should add this one as well, since we've all encountered it:

"Unobtanium" (noun) Description of or reference to a rare, OEM part/component needed for a repair/restoration/etc., that due to low production, age/ etc. is impossible to find. 🙂

Pit Crew

restomods used to be called restorods, an original looking car  with every factory accessory added  plus all the modern day creature comforts, some were done so well they looked more like restorations with all the modern stuff hidden.

New Driver

Just a few oldies; "Huffer" referring to a roots style supercharger, "Digger" a term common to rail dragsters in the early days of drag racing, of course the famous "deuce" being a 32 Ford, and "Baby Moons" being a popular style of hub cap commonly used in conjunction with chrome reversed wheels.

New Driver