cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Disguise your modern engine swap with these "old-school" parts

Cosplay is a fascinating subculture of the American geek population. A surprising number of comic book fans, movie buffs, and sci-fi aficionados like nothing more than turning up at conventions on the weekend dressed as their favorite fictional heroes, with some going to fantastic lengths when assembling their picture-perfect costumes and accessories. What if I told you that the same option was now available for classic cars? 

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/disguise-your-modern-engine-swap-with-these-old-s...

30 REPLIES 30
Passenger

Ugh!

New Driver

No objection, but I don't call it a 'classic' anymore.  Might as well take a LeMans and install GTO badges and different power train - still is not a GTO.  My opinion is once you take a vehicle and make this kind of change it goes into a 'custom' category.  It is your car to preserve or change - for every one cut up, just means the stock ones become more rare. 

Hagerty Employee

I'm an old school guy and haven't got bitten by the LS or New Hemi bug ..... but this definitely helps lessen my pain towards them! 

Pit Crew

Double Ugh!

Pit Crew

Triple Ugh!

I've got no problem with a period-correct looking alternator that has increased output and reliability due to modern materials and electrics under the case, but sorry, putting a modern Chevy engine in a '55 makes it a hot rod, not a restoration.  I'm AACA old school (started in '68), and the only cars that should have antique plates are cars restored to factory original based on the day they came off the production line.  Resto-rods are garbage.

Pit Crew

I think that these engine-disguise kits are as tacky and insulting. If you want to put an LS engine in your hot rod, go ahead. But if you are so embarassed by your choice that you feel the need to hide it with some fakey vintage looking parts. Then you have missed the point completely. You might fool the losers and wannabees in the crowd. But anyone with any mechanical sense will walk away feeling insulted.

How could you convince anyone to buy this stuff ?

What is this hobby coming to ? 

Detailer

I've made several upgrades to the cars i drive regularly for no other reason than safety and no fuel or electrical grief. So I have original power plants but with improved parts for reliability and safety as I've said. I thought a lot about it before I did it for the reasons explained above. I'm glad I did it and the cars are even more of a pleasure now than before. Thanks for good work.

Pit Crew

Resto-mods aren't garbage.  As a frequent judge, including concourse events, I've seen a fair number of them.  They don't win or place in the restored or survivor classes - though some have been mistakenly entered in them.

I had my own resto-mod -- 1978 Black Pearl 280Z -- that had Datsun/Nissan engine bits, but with a block from a turbo ZX, and a single rail FI setup that looked better, was less complicated and more reliable than the factory setup.

The only others who considered it to be "garbage" were some old school hot rodders with lead sleds who showed up at a show and didn't want to park next to "Jap Scrap."

Pretty much everyone else who saw it thought it was well done and a genuine upgrade to the original.

Including but not limited to properly restored/original 280Z's.  Theirs were not Better -- just Different.

I am now doing a proper concourse-quality restoration on a car I first owned 52 years ago.  Though there are many more recent parts available, some of which appear close to original,  nevertheless this one is being built to a different standard.

I'm 100% down with Own What You Want, and Drive What You Own.

I would only add, Don't Complain about what others want and drive.  There's room in this hobby for more than one preference.

Intermediate Driver

It's a free country. Everyone is free to make whatever mods they want to their cars. As for me, I'll stick with OEM 1964.5 Mustang specs, down to the alkyd enamel paint. The only "cosplay" I do is folding chairs, haircuts, and clothes to match mid-60s. 😉