cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

Discovering in-driveway tire mounting and balancing—yes, it’s a thing

I’ve written a number of stories about wheels and tires, the tradeoffs between buying new or used, and options for mounting and balancing. In preparation for winter, I just went through it again and discovered an option previously unknown to me.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/discovering-in-driveway-tire-mounting-and-ba...

8 REPLIES 8
Tinkerah
Technician

“Gee, I didn’t know a service like this existed” indeed! But as a bottom feeding car guy myself I scored a Coats 10-10 at an auction some thirty+ years ago and haven't paid for a tire mounting since. For the space it takes up and the thrill of doing it yourself I can't recommend it highly enough. If you find one, it can likely be had for its scrap value...but not mine!

9k2164s
New Driver

Tinkerah you're not the only one. I too found a Coats 10-10 on CL for $125 and then a Snap-On (John Bean) manual spin balancer for $200. I've now become even more popular with friends and find I don't have to pay for beer as often.
albino09
New Driver

I recently discovered a mobile alloy wheel repair service (yes, also a thing!). My M3 took a pothole that bent the wheel so badly it would leak 10psi per day and I had just put new Michelins on. The AWR guy came to my house and straightened out the wheel for a fair price and best of all, I didn't need to drive anywhere on a square wheel...

Swamibob
Instructor

Mobile tire guys, Mobile wheel repair; what will the entrepreneurial spirit in America come up with next?  That is so cool!  I have a buddy with a good tire changing machine and balancer and he just stops by, when I need that service.  Obviously not everybody has that option, but I am lucky that way.  🙂  That stated; I really like the idea of a mobile tire and wheel service.  Something to think about if I didn't already have a really good job.  Thank you Rob, for another good insight.

acpracing
New Driver

Great article! Jay runs a great service. I own ZipTire in Los Angeles. One of the unifying things across the (still small) mobile tire industry is that we all offer convenience (and now greater covid safety), but also we all tend to be tire and car geeks and so give better advice and hone better skills than your typical shops. Some day you'll wonder why you ever went to a tire shop in the old days. Congrats to Jay with his Tread Connection service.

bradfa
Intermediate Driver

I've had one local guy who has a Hunter Road Force balancer in the back of a box truck come mount and balance tires for my wife's van twice now.  Found him through Tire Rack.  He used to be the only such mobile service but now there's at least 1 other local guy who just started up this fall, too.

Nice thing is he's flexible, I provided the tires, wheels, and TPMS sensors (which I programmed as a kit with sensors and programmer were less than he wanted to change me for him to do it and now I have a tool!) and he mounted, balanced, and installed the wheels onto the van for about $120 all while showing me all his equipment and how it works.  I'm now hooked on this type of service.

spoom
Technician

Am I the only one who remembers that at least forty years ago, box trucks full of hydraulic goodness were coming to factory loading docks to press forklift tires off of are drums and force the nice new ones on in their place? The Glass Factory I worked at at the time had around 20 forklifts and about half as many spare front and rear tire sets so that all you needed was some 3/4" drive sockets and a railroad jack to swap for a new set off the rack and roll the old one to where it would until the traveling forklift cobbler would stop by when you were almost out of good tire/wheel sets?
spoom
Technician

" off of their drums"