cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detroit community leaders say no to Woodward Dream Cruise events

Michael Lary held out hope, but the community events surrounding the 2020 Woodward Dream Cruise will not be held as planned. The Cruise itself? That’s another matter entirely.

“Is the Woodward Dream Cruise canceled?” the Dream Cruise board president asked, repeating the question. “We plan events around the Cruise, not the other way around. So if people want to cruise, they’ll cruise—and I’m sure they will. But the community events surrounding the Cruise, those are canceled.”

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/detroit-community-leaders-say-no-to-woodward-dream-cruise-events/

Replies (17)

Replies (17)

The Woodward Dream Cruise will go on - with or without "official / sponsored events" - and those who are still social distancing by the middle of August will just avoid it.  The businesses and police departments along the route have never officially like the event - so no new news there.  I have no problem with it going back to more like it was back in the early years...1995, 1996 - it was more about cruising and seeing old cars, less of a money-making, way too crowded, roads totally jammed with regular vehicles event.  

New Driver

It's a big event with lots of good memories attached afterwards, but NOT NOW.

Even if you are a die hard stay home. Protect yourself and your loved ones. So that you will be alive for next year's events.

Pit Crew

What the hell is the matter with Michigan? Freely offered economic assistance to an area already in economic ruin enthusiastically declined? We may have exposed the sources of Michigan's on-going woes! Does anyone there have a positive attitude towards finding a solution via compromise to take advantage of a "Bird in the hand..."?

Navigator

‘The cruise as it used to be’.

I’m in. 

Finally something good happening from his delays in January and February and March!

Pit Crew

I live in the area and haven't missed one since 1995. Thats pretty dissapointing to call it it so early. The city leaders have always been against the cruise even though it brings huge money in to the communities. I guess its just to much work for them. My guess is that they will try to kill the dream cruise forever. 

New Driver

cruisers who are going to cruise is totally right. We in Michigan are tired of the non stop assault on our freedoms and then being told we are either sexist, racist, bigotted and ignorant. We've had enough and you'll see pop up get togethers regardless of those that feel they govern and rule us.

Navigator

In your car in the fresh air and sunshine are the 3 best prescriptions for staying well.

Pit Crew

I understand all the wanting to be safe.  I appreciate the thought. But lets be real people, if people don't want to get sick they wont come out.  If all we have is a face mask to wear to " protect our self " doing normal day event wants the difference with a crowd of people.  There is (none). If the city and state doesn't like the event that brings in millions of dollars into there state and city's.  Let's find a state and its city that  does.  Im sure there is someone out there. Lets see some hands.  

Passenger

Oh I assure you that we and thousands of our cruising buddies will be there regardless. Just eat before you go.

New Driver

Not good. Doesn't anyone care about the financial situation in these communities? What about the thousands of dollars that are spent by visiting and local cruisers?

Passenger

“to tell people from outside Detroit and Michigan not to come.”. No problem as there are many better places to be then Detroit. And we where all told that Detroit is back! Nope still in a death spiral with out a clue. Hasta la viva baby! 

Passenger

I live in Chicago and have been interested in the event.  Sad that they are cancelling but it’s for the best.  And there’s always next year. Better safe than sorry.  And yes, 100 year olds have lived but we do lead the world in deaths due to this virus and that is of younger victims. 

Passenger

What is the problem with government in Michigan?  First you have a clueless Governor that wants the state shut down; and now local governments that don't want a big annual event to happen. News Flash Folks! This is an OUTDOOR EVENT - the chances for virus exposure on a warm day are low. 

By the way - down here in Arizona we're having Saturday night cruises on our hot evenings and an early car show two weeks from now. 

Pit Crew

It's probably cancelled for just one year. Nobody wants to go more than me but let's not. If we show up in droves with our cars, crowds of spectators will follow, people will die and progress will be pushed further back meaning no cruise next year or perhaps ever again. Let's show the world how responsible cruisers are. Wait for a vaccine. See you next year.

New Driver

I've been to Woodward every year for the past 20 years or so and love seeing and hearing all the old cars, but I sympathize with people who live in Royal Oak/Birmingham/Pontiac area who have to deal with the chaos every year. Why not get creative (like hot rodders do) and move it out of those areas this year? Spread it out north on the Dixie up toward Flint and/or from Palmer Park to The D downtown. Make some social distancing room, make it safe, and give those folks a break. There are plenty of places along the way where people could get ice cream, or a bite to eat outside and still maintain social distancing. 

New Driver

I was out last evening about 8PM.  The police were placing areas to keep people out of the public parking along Woodward. There were plenty of police making people move who had the nerve to park, even though they appeared to be spaced apart the required 6 feet.  I agree with some of the other comments posted that the police appeared to be all too eager to stop people from cruising at all.

Passenger

I agree. Everyone deserves their own space due to the virus. But on the other hand, we cruised Woodward for yeasr before doing it in an organized way. We can go back to just cruising or Driving Down Woodward like all the other cars only we will be looking cooler. Good work everyone, stay safe

Passenger