cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Crack-free frame and it feels so good | Hagerty Media

Time in the garage, at least for me, is typically time well spent. I always relish the chance to get something done, and my Six Ways to Sunday XR250R project has been needing some attention. Despite the first race being in May, I'm trying to avoid coming up against that spring deadline looking at a bike still in pieces.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/crack-free-frame-and-it-feels-so-good/
12 REPLIES 12
drjim
Detailer

Whenever I take something apart to rebuild, I always get an "extra good feeling" when it comes apart easily.
Good luck with your build!
- Jim
cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

Get yourself the "family size" bottle of anti-seize and slather that stuff all over the bolt and the inside of the sleeve when you reassemble. Works for me. You know how whenever you use anti-seize, if you get sloppy it gets all over everything and you can't get it off? That's a good thing, in this case. But you have to be careful to wipe off all but the tiniest trace on the threads, so that you don't wind up overtorquing the swingarm bolt.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

I'm afflicted with the dreaded "as long as we're here" syndrome. As long as we're down to the base frame, I would haul it down to Maaco.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

I was thinking power washer and rattle cans but you do you.

GRP_Photo
Instructor

This is in Michigan in January. Where exactly are you going to be able to rattle-can this frame there? I'm in New Jersey and face exactly the same issues.
Kyle

I'l admit I have been seriously considering some paint, but ultimately decided against it. First, I oddly like the well-worn look this machine has. It's actually in great shape, but looks rough. Secondly, this bike is going to used with a capital U this year. Any paint I put on would be gone by the year's end. I'll likely end up stripping this machine back down next year for a refresh and at that time I'll probably give it a paint job.
Honolulu
Pit Crew

Ain't the name Wendy Peffercorn?
Kyle

Please accept my apology for messing that one up. I've updated the story!
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

A swing arm bolt on a dirt bike should be greased with a QUALITY grease every year! More often if submerged frequently when riding. I like "Bel-Ray" but any good quality will do. (Don't have "Frozen" bolts in my riding stable).Ditch the original motor & go with your spare, it's GOT to be better than that! Clean, inspect, & pay attention to detail as you put it back together (you don't have to spend a fortune) & PRESTO! You will have a nice example (or hopefully better) of whatever it is you have. ENJOY!
Kyle

That's the plan! I'd been avoiding this bike because I knew if I took the time to service any one thing I would inevitably find myself looking at a bare frame in no time. This time it was the plan to go that far and it made it a lot less stressful to tear it down. It's shaping up to be a really nice bike once it's back together.
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

(in response to GRP-Photo) OH and by the way, you can paint it in your basement, or garage, or shed (with a small heater), or living room (like I used to.....especially when between girlfriends {or not}).etc. THINK man THINK!
Kyle

I could paint it in the garage with a rattle can, but rattle can paint doesn't have a very good reputation of holding up well on motorcycle frames like this XR. I could opt for a catalyzed rattle can, but at the cost there it would be easier and cost about the same to have a pro fog it.