cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Coyote Ugly: Is Ford reverting to Windsor V-8s with pushrod power?

We interrupt your newsfeed’s stream of overpriced electric cars, self driving gadgetry, and any other hype present in an election year to inform you that FoMoCo is installing a 6.8-liter Windsor V-8 under the hood of the upcoming 2022 Ford F-150 and Mustang ... Read the full news on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/coyote-ugly-is-ford-reverting-to-windsor-v-8s-with-pushrod-power/

16 REPLIES 16
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

What if the only Mustang that gets this engine is the Cobra Jet?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Possibly, but usually these news clips from Union agreements refer to mass adoption of said part into the vehicles listed for multiple years. 

OldRoad
Instructor

So judging by the cut away you gotta pull the cylinder heads to get to the lifters like GM. Awfully labor intensive if you'd want try a different cam sometime in the future. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

The aftermarket makes a tool so you don't have to pull the heads when doing an LS cam swap.  Some have even used wooden dowels? Anyway, I assume the same thing will apply here. 

https://www.compcams.com/gm-ls-lifter-retaining-tool.html

Studenorton
Instructor

Who would want an aluminum body with an iron engine?

Well,  how many Ford blocks ever rusted out?  (Not that it couldn't happen...)

flowney
Pit Crew

Eliminating camshafts entirely is the more exciting path. Something that enables infinitely variable intake and exhaust valve events. A digital or virtual camshaft.

CarciergeGlenn
Intermediate Driver

I had a Modular V8 in a daily driver 91 Lincoln Town Car and it was a sweet engine, even in its first year.  I could pull 22 mpg on the highway in that big luxury barge, if I kept the speed to reasonable numbers.  

Sajeev
Community Manager

I remember when I could get 22mpg in mixed driving in a 4.6L...before every gas station in a 30+ mile radius from me switched to E10.  Ah, the good ol' days. 
cdkrek
Intermediate Driver

The Essex Engine Plant is also in Windsor, not in the town of Essex.  Ford has more than engine plant in Windsor, which is located in Essex county.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Agreed, but if I recall correctly there's only one place where a V8 made in Windsor can be called a Windsor V8.  Would love to know if I got this wrong. 

TB
Pit Crew

Much evidence of Coyote motors melting down the cylinder liners in 2017-1018 Mustang GTs.  Reported backlog of 800 cars waiting for a replacement.  My friend is having his customers engine re-sleeved and is rebuilding per not much info coming from Ford.  This is not anecdotal.

Sajeev
Community Manager

That's good to know. I also heard something about cylinder head issues, but it sounds like it's not nearly as extensive as that. 

chrlsful
Instructor

too usa-ish or american 4 me. The auto is a system. It must wrk together for the application - "What is the application?" is the real Q...suspension, breaking, etc, etc...

Wanna drag? well that's 1 thing. I prefer canyon carving, SCCA twitch, etc...

miata93
Intermediate Driver

I remember an article in "New Atlas" that reports on a 4 cylinder prototype in England that has all electronic valves without any camshafts. It has variable valve timing and also disables cylinders for economy. It also can switch to a 2 cycle mode for acceleration.

farna
Advanced Driver

Well, we really won't know much until Ford says something or the engine comes out. It could be a big block version of the OHC modular, or a OHV pushrod engine. Seems like the OHV is a step back, but unless it's going to be a high rpm race engine pushrods will get the job done and might be cheaper to implement...

DavidSuzyWilson
Pit Crew

SAJEEVA SHOULD HAVE BEEN A TEEN IN THE 60S. THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO DEVELOP A BETTER INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE BUT TO DESIGN A BATTERY AND ENGINE THAT WILL TAKE AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE THE SAME DISTANCE AS A GAS POWERED ONE.  EVEN IF ITS A HYBRID, WHATEVER,. THE AUTOMAKERS NEED TO GET THEIR **bleep** TOGETHER