cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Class action suit targets alleged Mustang MT82 gearbox defects

The Ford Mustang, one of the few affordable performance cars still available with a manual transmission, started taking heat in 2011 due to the poor performance of its six-speed manual transmission. That year, NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation conducted an evaluation of customer complaints, which concluded there was “no unreasonable safety risk associated with the alleged defect.” Then, in 2019, it got legal: Gregorio, et al., v. Ford Motor Company seeks restitution for 2011-2019 Mustang owners with the MT82 and MT82-D4 six-speed manual transmissions. The class-action suit is now on the docket in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/class-action-suit-targets-alleged-mustang-mt82-gearbox-defects/

2 REPLIES 2
MikeD
Pit Crew

I have a 2011 Mustang. This is one of the cars with peeling paint on the hood. Ford refused to accept any responsibility for the problem. Now, the transmission issues which they also deny. I love my Mustang but am really having second thoughts about purchasing another Ford product. Ford, are you listening?

mgonutz
New Driver

I used to work in Performance Test Engineering. In 1992, with the roll-out of the Mustang Cobras getting close, someone in Engineering decided it was time to save a few pennies by cheapening up synchros and shifter forks. When we started our standing-start accel tests (quarter mile), we had shifters locking up in 2nd gear on about the 2nd or 3rd run (8 runs needed for a complete test). We were accused of beating on test cars; when it was shown there were parts failing, you'd have thought Ford would have moved to FIX the issues. Nope. They didn't get it. This took the heat off of us techs doing the testing, but the problem was never resolved, at least that we heard of. Sounds like "same old, same old", to me. Ford has other transmission issues, in at least 2 other vehicles being litigated at present. Never could figure out why the Glass House thinks bad publicity costs much less than the costs of litigation and settlements, as in the Pinto debacle, or the Explorer tire fiasco/rollovers.