cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Chip Foose tackles the C8 Corvette Ep. 23 | Hagerty Media

The C8 Corvette is the realization of decades of mid-engine Corvette concept "teasers" promising to take America's Sports Car to the next level of performance and style. While Chip Foose has mixed feelings on the new body style, he appreciates the giant leap forward this generation provides.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/chip-foose-tackles-the-c8-corvette-ep-23/
36 REPLIES 36
tadg47
Intermediate Driver

Chip, stick with making your low riders with oversized wheels and leave the C8 alone.
merlebalke
Advanced Driver

Chip doesn't design or build low riders, which traditionally have 13" wheels.
drhino
Technician

All I know is part of the interior should have a funny little stick coming up between the seats and three pedals on the floor.
VetteVet
Pit Crew

I like Chips design... The C8 looks like the designers just abandoned everything Corvette, when they did the car. Like Chip said, incorporating design cues from previous years, continues the cars traditional Corvette look. Nicely done, Foose!
Lightning1
Advanced Driver

I saw 2 of them yesterday and I thought they were Italian cars till I saw the corvette name.
Shaun607
New Driver

Mr Foose you are a tremendous asset to our industry. I could not agree more with your C8 styling assessment. You nailed it in 20 minutes. GM took a bit longer. Keep it up. I always look forward to seeing your sketches.
JAG
Detailer

Not sure if tag47 is the tag from the Corvette team but he is dead wrong on this one. Yes, some of Chip's designs are over the top, but that is what designers do. I spent a lot of time at GM design staff and there are a lot of beautiful work that never got approved, and some crap that did. Chip was clear that the technical prowess of the car is a huge win. He is also right, the car has many odd viewing angles. Maybe it spent to much time in the wind tunnel. Maybe the designers hated Corvette styling history. No question for me, his styling plan for the car after a 4 hr session is far better that what was executed. What Chip did with the back glass and over the rear wheel arches is a brilliant mix of tribute and moving forward. No matter it will be electric soon so if you want to hear the howl of the upcoming flat plane crank V8 get one, design flaws and all.
bigbang3
New Driver

Coming from that Boyd Coddington school Chip usually has some very interesting ideas, He missed the boat on this one, the cab forward look of the C* gets lost in his design. Also after watching a lot of his shows, the over stylized , low stretched look that Chip does in his renderings rarely make it to the finished product, Not a fan

espo70
Advanced Driver

The cab forward look is one of the problems with this car
Historian
Detailer

Even this moron cannot screw that car up any more than it already is.
gfviperman
Detailer

Agree ... way too busy.  Seems everybody at the table got to draw 3 lines each! Looks better in a dark color where all those lines are not so visible ...

Bullit
Intermediate Driver

So, is there a reason for your childish & rude comment, or is it just another Friday night for you? If you don't like Mr Foose's design that's fine, but there's no reason (or is there?) for immature name calling here.

merlebalke
Advanced Driver

The last thing Chip is is a moron.
jackellison2
Pit Crew

Chip nailed it on this one. As designed by the GM staff, the car does not have identity as a Corvette. Way too many angles that either oppose or parallel one another.
It looks like it belongs in an old "The Jetsons" cartoon episode. Thank you, Chip, for showing the GM brain trust what they should have done.
Huntwt
Pit Crew

He makes a good point. The first time I saw a C8, I thought it was a six figure Euro-supercar. It wasn’t till I saw the badging that I realized it was a Vette. That said, it’s a great car, and for the money, even better.
Maestro1
Technician

I think Chip should have designed the car. It's atrocious in its current design, ignorant of form and continuity. I can afford one and I won't go near it because of the awful design.
CitationMan
Gearhead

Chip’s drawing does exactly what he said:

- looks like a Corvette

- does not look like a European supercar

- carries forth Corvette lineage

The C8 is a great car, but it’s not a cohesive design with its odd proportions and mismatched design cues. Hard to believe the designers went from the perfect design of the C7 to this. 

How could they turn their backs on Corvette design lineage?

Bullit
Intermediate Driver

Well said & I couldn't agree more, but the answer to your question of how could they, well that's easy, the same way they just opened the window in 2002 & casually threw 35 yrs of Camaro heritage out! Luckily some years later, they came to they're senses & hopefully they'll do the same and make the C8 look even more like a CORVETTE than Chip just did 🙏

RoadDog
Intermediate Driver

Chip Foose is a very talented designer and I much admire his work. I do not own a corvette, nor do I work for GM, so I don’t have a dog in this fight, so to speak. Also, I am not a car designer or engineer myself, but I am an auto enthusiast and member of the car-buying public, so I suppose my opinion counts for something.

Judged for what it is, a quick sketch, I must say Chip’s vision of the C8 is an improvement, in my opinion. But in defense of the C8 stylists, it must be remembered that Chip didn’t have to consider the limitations of fitting his design around the actual corvette mechanicals, nor did he have to consider production line limitations.

Also, I take some issue with his assertion that the C8 design is too far removed from corvette lineage. Going to a mid-engine layout is a huge change, but I think when one considers the corvette line, including the C7, then the C8 actually is more in line with the corvette’s design heritage than Chip’s sketch. Just my opinion.

Anyway, these Chip Foose styling videos are fun, he’s a great designer, I think the C8 is a great design, and it’s all fun.

Thanks.
Geok86
Instructor

I don’t often agree with Chip’s reimagined designs, but this is definitely a better design than what GM came up with....wish he would have done a rendering of the rear end, as that is the worst view of the current car...BAR NONE! Though he did mention C7 rear....which is AWFUL TOO (the worst part of that car). Yes C8 is a good performer....most agree that cornering leaves a lot to be desired (from the factory), and yes at $60k it is a bargain....BUT...the average 2020 was optioned to @ $84k, and the price will continue to rise....in another year or 2 the average sticker will be over $100k, and if they build a Zora, as they are predicting....I bet it’s over $200k.
Hotrod34
New Driver

With respect to Chip, the C8 looks great. I’m glad he wasn’t involved in the design. GM must have done something right, they’ve been sold out for two years now. I have a 2020 and it’s unbelievable in design and performance.
espo70
Advanced Driver

Way better design. I’d maybe tone down the C2 Stingray theme a little, but moving the proportions rearward and cleaning up the lines is what the C8 needs. And also getting rid of that weird hook nail looking black thing on the door is a welcome change. Now Chip just needs to fix the busy, squished-looking rear view.
930Flachbau
Intermediate Driver

Chip Foose is a very talented designer, but I think the proportions of his revised C8 just look off.
The front end is too long. I definitely like a short overhang on the front because it improves visibility. The rear on Chip's design looks far to short to support the mid-engine and transaxle. Maybe he explained his reasoning in the video but I turned off the audio and just watched him draw. Something I always like to do when he is drawing. Sorry Chip, you lost me on this one. Too many curves mean too much drag coefficient and I really don't care about its lineage. With all your heritage lineage in mind, how would you explain that high frequency note coming from that flat-plane turning 8500 RPM? If you watch the C8.R carving through the esses at Sebring, you agree this car is a thing of beauty. So flat and so-o-o-o mean! Go flat-plane, go! lol
alwaysflat6s
New Driver

I understand why the Corvette people styled the C8 the way they did. I don't expect it to become a classic body style. I would LOVE it if Chip would get together with someone and make up a restyling kid to smooth out the present car. How about a simple kit to change the look of the front and back to make it more harmonious [and, yes, more traditional Corvette]. I do so want to love the C8. I think it' might be a great driving experience but -honestly- I've got a wife I promised I wouldn't buy another great performing but "unfortunate" looking car. Please, Chip! Give it a thought. I think there's a real market for this.
DAY
Detailer

Much Better Chip! I don't think I'd want a C-8. It just doesn't say CORVETTE at all.
Dad61
New Driver

Thank god, Chip isn’t designing the Corvette. Even thou I am not a fan of the C8 style, I am thinking his time has passed.
DT12
Intermediate Driver

Chevrolet does it better!

ed
Advanced Driver

For me, this is spot on. When I heard the rumors that the C8 would be mid-engine, I sold my C6 427 Edition, stashed the cash, and made plans to order a C8 as soon as possible. But when I saw the styling, as much as I tried and wanted to like it, I just couldn't do it. It simply does not work for me. I'm not sure Chip's proportions support the mid-engine layout, but if the C8 had looked more like this, there would be one in my garage now (or at least on somebody's build sheet in Bowling Green).

eighthtry
Advanced Driver

Chip maintained the proportions for the engine when he started. He sketched the of the curretn c8 at the beginning of the video and worked from there. His only flaw, in my opinion is laying the windshield back too far. The finish designers would figure that one out anyway. In my opinion.
Stevgret
New Driver

Looks like a great design for the next generation Camaro.
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

I would like to see what the rear looks like, since I've always felt the ass end stance is what sells a muscle car. We all know the original "sports car design" is no longer, and although the C8 is a great supercar competitor (both price & performance) there is no longer an American 2 seat sports car to compete in size with all these: Mazda Miata, Fiat 124 Spider, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z4, Mercedes SLC, Toyota Supra, Alfa Romeo Spider, Nissan 370Z, Jaguar F Type & Subaru BRZ. ..... So Where Are All The US sports cars?? ...The last great efforts were Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Ford TBird (retro) & Chrysler Crossfire.
JSievers
Instructor

An awesome improvement. I hope GM designers are not to proud to steal some of the ideas here for the next makeover. The more pronounced fender arches are a Corvette hallmark, and the slightly elongated roofline and sleek side windows really smooth, lower and streamline the car visually. Fixing the ugly air intake gash on the side was a no brainer, as was cleaning up all the extraneous "character" lines at both ends of the car. Like Chip, I appreciate the C8 for what it can do, but I don't love it for its looks. It's kind of like Chevrolet gave us the pain-jane sidekick, but Mr. Foose would rather we got the hot cheerleader. Draw on!
Larry3
Pit Crew

I totally agree with Chips evaulation of the C8 and I really like his drawing, it does look like a Corvette. I have a C6 and like it a lot and the new C8 is a little off on it's styling in my opinion. I do understand the reason for mid engine but that changes my thoughts about Corvettes a little. I'm sort of a draw back as far as changes but I hope that Covettes just keep on getting better. It might be a good idea for GM. to take a look at Chips drawing and maybe even consult with him on changes and styling. Thoughts Larry 3
eighthtry
Advanced Driver

I liked his ideas. The finished product in fact did have the windshield too swept back. It would be absolutely impossibe in a parking garage, toll booth, etc. I own a 18 Z07. I know what I am talking about. But he did bring it together better than the designers did. From the front and back C* is a Vette. Sides???????????? Chip helped it immensely.
Hal
Intermediate Driver

I enjoyed this episode immensely. It’s great to see a talented artist offer another point of view of what might have been. Pretty sad that some people who disagree with his ideas choose to offer up rude comments. I’m pretty sure that most people can think of improvements to make in most cars but few can offer up an artistic suggestion as well as this. Nice job Chip!
merlebalke
Advanced Driver

Another home run by Chip. The side scoop as designed by GM is terrible. It can be helped a bit by going for the body color option.