cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip Foose reimagines the iconic Jaguar E-type

Enzo Ferrari called the Series I Jaguar E-type "the most beautiful car ever made," but the E-type coupe doesn't get nearly the attention of its convertible counterpart.  Chip Foose has plans to change that. Before our eyes, he'll transform the E-type coupe into a streetwise sports car with even sleeker design elements.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/chip-foose-reimagines-the-iconic-jaguar-e-type/

Replies (70)

Replies (70)

I don't think the original can be improved upon. This exercise looks like the result of a huge weight being placed on top of the original E-Type coupe, flattening it and bursting the shocks. It doesn't do the 1961 masterpiece justice, which, to me, is a timeless design that will forever turn heads and evoke smiles.

Pit Crew

Chip Foose is enormously talented, but his "improvements" to the XK-E coupe are akin to adding a mustache to the Mona Lisa.  Chip's veiled excuse for this exercise is that he suggests Enzo Ferrari was referring to the convertible when he said the XK-E was "The most beautiful car ever made".  I have never read nor heard that Enzo qualified his compliment as being intended for the convertible.  In fact, this is highly unlikely since the coupe has many brilliant - and timeless -  design elements that are lost on the convertible version.

Navigator

Chip has done a lot of great cars over the years, but (IMHO) has also ruined a few.  This Jag would be a travesty.

New Driver

Up next! Banksy improves the the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel! This is a perfect illustration of the Dunning Kruger effect. Please stop!

Navigator

Chip, stick with turning other classic cars into low-riders.  The series 1 XKE is the most beautiful car in the world (even Enzo Ferrari said so).  Don't screw with it.

Pit Crew

Obviously Chip has TOO MUCH time on his hands! Next up, Chip goes back to 1972 and makes Raquel Welch even more gorgeous! LOL! Sorry Chip, some things can't be improved upon.

New Driver

He just drew a Datsun 240z

Passenger

To paraphrase the immortal Peter Sellers in Return of the Pink Panther:

Inspector Clouseau: "What is the price of one automobile compared to the terrible crime that's been committed here?"

Housekeeper: "But that's a priceless Jaguar!"

Inspector Clouseau: "Not anymore."

Intermediate Driver

I enjoy Chip's Overhauling show on TV. I like some of his designs, while others, to my eyes, are too much hot rod, slammed onto the ground in super low-profile tires. Doing this to the coupe series 1 E-Type is a mistake. The coupe is even prettier than the roadster and this effect on it that he proposes damages the pure lines. Don't update something that is perfect!

Pit Crew

Longer Lower and Wider has already been done...Leave it alone man...

Passenger

With all the bad news in the world, automotive and otherwise, why is Hagerty promoting this buffoon's garbage? The last thing the world would EVER need, especially now, is a Kustom Peckerwood Jag E-typer. Please remove this piece and apologize to your readership and customers.

Pit Crew

I think a lot of you are missing the point of this exercise. He's simply sitting down and drawing an idea. He's not breaking into your garage, stealing your E-Type and cutting it up. We all have different opinions on cars, styling, design, etc... I get that. What I like to focus on with these videos is Chip's unbelievable ability to freehand draw this stuff!! I mean... c'mon! It's mesmerizing. Enjoy the art. Enjoy the craft. Move on.

Hagerty Employee

No. Just no.

Passenger

The guy is talented and all, but i'm sorry they did it right the first time. 

That thing looks more like a chopped and lowered 911 than a jaguar

Intermediate Driver

I think Chip should stick to Impalas and Chevelles.

Navigator

I think Chip created a beautiful and continuation design that had Jaguar carried this model to the present day, It would have looked like his updated design. 

Navigator

Over the years I have known a few Jag owners and the are a little different. Not bad mind you just different. The comments bring me back to the encounters I've had with them. Everything is so serious. Lighten up guys or girls its just a drawing. While the original is perfect in someones eye it may not be to others. My good friend had an E coupe when we were in the Navy together. To me it just didn't fit my eye, a lot out of proportion. But everyone has a different eye and I for one like Chips eye.

Passenger

Tell Chip to keep his hands off my Mona Lisa and my 1964 Jag  type.

Some thing should not be tampered with ....

THUMBS DOWN ALL THE WAY

New Driver

I can't unsee this.

Navigator

Chop should leave the classics as they were designed and apply his customizing talents to more mundane vehicles.  He managed to make the car look like a tarted up Italian spin on the near-perfect XK-E!

Passenger

Foose should be pilloried for even imagining that he could improve on such a timeless classic. His design looks like a cross between an old Mercedes and a Porsche, or some otherwise ugly German turd. Even the guy who designs some the other most beautiful cars ever conceived, Enzo Ferrari, hit the nail on the head concerning the E-Type's beauty. 

New Driver

Big respect to Chip as an artist and a craftsman but if a design is timeless it doesn’t need updating. This makes a distinctive car look like a child of an Aston Martin and a Porsche Panamerican and just another modern jelly bean shape. No boob job for a classy lady. Keep the curves and chrome. 

New Driver

The work of Chip Foose is remarkable, but I think that his choice of a subject is off base with this.  There are far more subjects that he could have selected for modification and improvement than the E Type.  I suppose if you give a craftsman $500,000 any production car can be improved, however, even in this instance Foose's primary enhancements are to slam the car to the ground, larger custom wheels, and changing the angle of the A pillar to meet modern styles.  This was a production car designed and manufactured nearly 60 years ago and that's it for changes from the best in the business!  I would say his E Type is customized, but maybe not necessarily improved.

New Driver

I am really getting tired of Chip Foose drawing what he thinks a car should look like, and from the comments it looks like I am not alone. If there is a contract with Foose then let him finish working it as a janitor on the offices where he won't be making people angry by re imagining cars that there is nothing wrong with. Frank Zappa said "He begins to feel depressed now He knows the end is near He has realized at last, that imaginary guitar notes And imaginary vocals Exist only in the imagination of the imaginer!" Maybe someone can point out to Foose that this is not his audience, Joe figured it out on his own but Chip needs a lot more proding.

Intermediate Driver

Almost any car looks better lowered, but they sure aren't practical.  Foose has the same style for every 'design':  lowered, big wheels with low profile tires, etc.  Nothing original here.

Passenger

I think Chip is a welcome beacon in the swamp of automotive design. I've often admired the E Coupe myself, and missed an opportunity to buy a fixer upper when I had the chance. All groan. My only suggestion would be that the car from the beltline up should be slightly higher, and I wish the design of 

the vents on the fenders was different. Very well done.

And thank you Hagerty.

Intermediate Driver

Absolutely awful! Iconic cars cannot be "improved" by a modern makeover. If this is what a Mk 1 Jaguar looked like, I wouldn't want one.

New Driver

I think it is better if this guy would concentrate on cartoon cars, that way we don't have to take him serious, and leave the real serious work up to the professionals.

New Driver

The guy is amazing!! Quite a talent, quite an imagination. If I had the bucks...I'd commission him to build me a Jag just like this one

New Driver

I guess I am gonna be in the minority here, but I think Jag could rival the Vet and breath new life into the old cat. Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro infused new life into those lines. Chip has always taken the mundane to marvelous and he smacked a grand slam in updating the Jag into modern day classic.

Pit Crew