cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick
Hagerty Employee

Chip Foose reimagines the iconic Jaguar E-type

Enzo Ferrari called the Series I Jaguar E-type "the most beautiful car ever made," but the E-type coupe doesn't get nearly the attention of its convertible counterpart.  Chip Foose has plans to change that. Before our eyes, he'll transform the E-type coupe into a streetwise sports car with even sleeker design elements.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/chip-foose-reimagines-the-iconic-jaguar-e-type/

87 REPLIES 87
tommykat1
Pit Crew

I don't think the original can be improved upon. This exercise looks like the result of a huge weight being placed on top of the original E-Type coupe, flattening it and bursting the shocks. It doesn't do the 1961 masterpiece justice, which, to me, is a timeless design that will forever turn heads and evoke smiles.

Philwilson65
Navigator

Got to agree with you but as my 17 y.o. son wants to study auto design I passed to him, he likes it!
tadg47
Pit Crew

Chip, stick with turning other classic cars into low-riders.  The series 1 XKE is the most beautiful car in the world (even Enzo Ferrari said so).  Don't screw with it.

meptmoore
New Driver

Chip has done a lot of great cars over the years, but (IMHO) has also ruined a few.  This Jag would be a travesty.

1964tbird
New Driver

Chip Foose is enormously talented, but his "improvements" to the XK-E coupe are akin to adding a mustache to the Mona Lisa.  Chip's veiled excuse for this exercise is that he suggests Enzo Ferrari was referring to the convertible when he said the XK-E was "The most beautiful car ever made".  I have never read nor heard that Enzo qualified his compliment as being intended for the convertible.  In fact, this is highly unlikely since the coupe has many brilliant - and timeless -  design elements that are lost on the convertible version.

audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

I’ve asked this question before: why hasn’t anyone come up with a”kit car” exterior of the E-Type, for placement on a classic, performance, affordable and dependable chassis?

C4 Corvettes first come to mind…

ToniFHarder
Pit Crew

Some years ago there used to be a company (I think it wa called Challenger) that produced a quite acceptable (at least aesthetically speaking) fibreglass replica of a series 1 E-type. I’m not sure if C4 chassis dimensions would make it easy to get a fibreglass E-type body on it that looked right. But if that was possible the idea would be very tempting for many of us with lust for E-type beauty but too small pockets for its present prices.
yardsale88
New Driver

Looks ungainly and really heavy.  Not this time Chip.

MajorTomB
Intermediate Driver

Can somebody please drop off an unwanted coupe shell at my house, and then nominate me to be "Overhauled"?  Then I'll park the Coupe next to the Zausner Torpedo I will own in my Dream Garage. 🙂

dmeig
Navigator

I agree with the other commenters. The design by Malcolm Sayer remains one of the all time greatest and cannot be "improved" upon, only made different. Especially unnerving and distasteful is the trendy dropping of the body wheel wells over the wheels. This seems to be a common design characteristic of many contemporary customs. Those designers should take their cue from Jaguar's leader Sir William Lyons who knew and insisted that the wheels should congruently fill the wheel wells. The touch of his good eye was evident in all the Jaguars from the SS 100 through the XJ6. The hunkered down look is just not pretty and looks "overdone".

bblhed
Advanced Driver

I am really getting tired of Chip Foose drawing what he thinks a car should look like, and from the comments it looks like I am not alone. If there is a contract with Foose then let him finish working it as a janitor on the offices where he won't be making people angry by re imagining cars that there is nothing wrong with. Frank Zappa said "He begins to feel depressed now He knows the end is near He has realized at last, that imaginary guitar notes And imaginary vocals Exist only in the imagination of the imaginer!" Maybe someone can point out to Foose that this is not his audience, Joe figured it out on his own but Chip needs a lot more proding.

Joecolli
New Driver

As a Joe who once had an E-Type 4.2 FHC in his garage I could not agree more. Foose should be subjected to Punky's whips.
GeeBlee
Navigator

I think Chip should stick to Impalas and Chevelles.

M3_Tom
Navigator

Up next! Banksy improves the the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel! This is a perfect illustration of the Dunning Kruger effect. Please stop!

JLM
Pit Crew

I usually like what Chip does; BUT, trying to update this E-Type??? No, no and NO. His ideas were hideous.  Who at Hagerty thought this was a good idea to post this?

Bobeisenberg
New Driver

Chip is a genius and I love to see his work. That said, my feelings echo many of these comments. Don’t mess with near perfection. This design looks like a Bentley Continental GT, a Mercedes SLS and a Porsche Panamera had a three-way and gave birth to this. Sorry, Chip, not feeling it. 

Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

With all the bad news in the world, automotive and otherwise, why is Hagerty promoting this buffoon's garbage? The last thing the world would EVER need, especially now, is a Kustom Peckerwood Jag E-typer. Please remove this piece and apologize to your readership and customers.

Pj1
Navigator

I agree, Hagerty shouldn't encourage Chip's arrogance, thinking he can "hot rod" a S1 E-Type coupe and improve upon the original! Plus, he's got the roof line so low, no one over 5' tall could drive it!
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

The E-type Jaguar is a near perfect balance of style and function. It does not benefit from the basic 21st century (stretch, drop, shave, and add pimp wheels) re-design software. That Enzo whatshisname guy got it right, "Beautiful". Even 60 years later.

OldCarMan
Instructor

Customizing has always been about enhancing the original design and making it better. This stretched and slammed customization, with rubber band tires, does none of that. The proportions were nearly ideal to begin with. Laying the windshield back so much, is an occupant packaging nightmare that would not work without a body stretch, which screws up the well-loved proportions. It is not an actual improvement. Broken spring lowering is just stupid and is not functional. Far too many builders have no clue about design height. It certainly is an insult to the design, especially the wheel openings, that ignore and cut off the wheels. Sorry, but it's an all thumbs down.

Oldtribefan
Passenger

Removed

Oldtribefan
Passenger

Chip, great design!  I have a 1970 E-Type FHC and would be happy to volunteer it to be "Overhauled" into your design.

Runner
New Driver

I like almost everything that Foose does.  However, there are some cars that just shouldn't be screwed with.  The E-type (1961-1967) is one of those.

jbarone01
Pit Crew

Forget the re-design; the original was "spot on." There is not need to "improve" what the original JAG represents.  Enzo Ferrari was right when he said the XKE was a beautiful design (Including the Coupe). And loved the original wire wheels.

As to performance; the V-12 is the best choice, but they are prone to over heat and engine compartment occasionally catch fire (I have seen more than one JAG engine fires).  V-12 left little room for proper cooling.  And the English cars from the 60's had notorious electrical problems.  But you sorted out the problems you have a very nice cars.  I have owned a JAG XK-8 convertible a while back.  It was a Classy car and with "Big Brother" Ford's help all JAG's became more reliable (a new, lighter re-designed Aluminum block V-8 helped).  The XK-8 lines closely resembled the original E-Type and that is why I bought it.  I looked at an original XKE Coupe but it had too many mechanically issues to close the deal for me.  But I liked the looks of it.  Still a classy design, but prone to maintenance issues.

RichardinMaine
Passenger

No.

JSievers
Detailer

Taste is subjective, and I understand how many might balk at even the concept of modernizing a classic car design. However, I think this is one of his better efforts in that regard. Keep in mind that no actual vehicle was harmed in the process!

SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Yet.

hb
Intermediate Driver

I love Chip Foose. His work is excellent. But the XK-E is THE XK-E! A nice portrait of a beautiful woman is NOT the Mona Lisa.

gdelfium
New Driver

The work of Chip Foose is remarkable, but I think that his choice of a subject is off base with this.  There are far more subjects that he could have selected for modification and improvement than the E Type.  I suppose if you give a craftsman $500,000 any production car can be improved, however, even in this instance Foose's primary enhancements are to slam the car to the ground, larger custom wheels, and changing the angle of the A pillar to meet modern styles.  This was a production car designed and manufactured nearly 60 years ago and that's it for changes from the best in the business!  I would say his E Type is customized, but maybe not necessarily improved.

Jew
Pit Crew

I've watched the Foos show on TV where very nice vintage vehicles are "customized," resulting in a vehicle that is, to me, less desirable than original.

mwmyers91
Detailer

I guess I am gonna be in the minority here, but I think Jag could rival the Vet and breath new life into the old cat. Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro infused new life into those lines. Chip has always taken the mundane to marvelous and he smacked a grand slam in updating the Jag into modern day classic.

W123Rice
New Driver

Big respect to Chip as an artist and a craftsman but if a design is timeless it doesn’t need updating. This makes a distinctive car look like a child of an Aston Martin and a Porsche Panamerican and just another modern jelly bean shape. No boob job for a classy lady. Keep the curves and chrome. 

Joecolli
New Driver

Foose should be pilloried for even imagining that he could improve on such a timeless classic. His design looks like a cross between an old Mercedes and a Porsche, or some otherwise ugly German turd. Even the guy who designs some the other most beautiful cars ever conceived, Enzo Ferrari, hit the nail on the head concerning the E-Type's beauty. 

jxhammann
Passenger

Sacralige, pure and simple.
Ptnarl
Passenger

And voila! You made a Mercedes SL. Congrats!

Dude-06
New Driver

Chip Foose, my car designer idol!  Good work on the Jag....tempted to buy one for him to apply his design

chickenpipe67
Passenger

Chop should leave the classics as they were designed and apply his customizing talents to more mundane vehicles.  He managed to make the car look like a tarted up Italian spin on the near-perfect XK-E!

BillyBuick
Intermediate Driver

NO NEED TO INSULT THE ITALIANS. GOOD THING FOR YOU THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE A TRUNK.
Bullit
Intermediate Driver

Obviously Chip has TOO MUCH time on his hands! Next up, Chip goes back to 1972 and makes Raquel Welch even more gorgeous! LOL! Sorry Chip, some things can't be improved upon.

Procroozer
Passenger

Longer Lower and Wider has already been done...Leave it alone man...

Punk
Detailer

I enjoy Chip's Overhauling show on TV. I like some of his designs, while others, to my eyes, are too much hot rod, slammed onto the ground in super low-profile tires. Doing this to the coupe series 1 E-Type is a mistake. The coupe is even prettier than the roadster and this effect on it that he proposes damages the pure lines. Don't update something that is perfect!

SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

To paraphrase the immortal Peter Sellers in Return of the Pink Panther:

Inspector Clouseau: "What is the price of one automobile compared to the terrible crime that's been committed here?"

Housekeeper: "But that's a priceless Jaguar!"

Inspector Clouseau: "Not anymore."

Jambones
Pit Crew

It would be interesting to see how Chip’s version would fare at auction.
impala409
Pit Crew

The guy is amazing!! Quite a talent, quite an imagination. If I had the bucks...I'd commission him to build me a Jag just like this one

TG
Instructor

The guy is talented and all, but i'm sorry they did it right the first time. 

That thing looks more like a chopped and lowered 911 than a jaguar

51JaguarC-type
Pit Crew

I think it is better if this guy would concentrate on cartoon cars, that way we don't have to take him serious, and leave the real serious work up to the professionals.

Jeff54
New Driver

Absolutely awful! Iconic cars cannot be "improved" by a modern makeover. If this is what a Mk 1 Jaguar looked like, I wouldn't want one.

rgkdeac
Passenger

He just drew a Datsun 240z

Bunka
Intermediate Driver

Yes, the new design is very much like a Datsun 240Z and very much like a Porsche 911. Where is the innovation, the new and the different?