cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Chevy's Silverado EV boasts 400 miles of range, 780 lb-ft of torque, and a nifty midgate

If there were any questions about whether Chevrolet would respond to crosstown-rival Ford's all-electric F-150 Lightning, consider them answered. Chevy's come out firing with an all-electric light-duty pickup of its own and, from our first look at the Silverado EV, it's clear that the Bowtie brand isn't backing down from the next generation of the truck wars.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/chevys-silverado-ev-boasts-400-miles-of-range-780-lb-ft-of-torque...
119 REPLIES 119
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

I'm with you, Nate, that work truck interior doesn't look bad at all!
BMD4800
Gearhead

The display looks like the old timer’s desk top - cluttered with icons.
hyperv6
Racer

This is why I have been saying the Ford Lightning will be old tech once this one arrived. 

GM took the time to make this on a platform and it is stiffer than any truck out there. It will offer many things other trucks do not offer. It has over 400 mile range. The price for the high end with every crazy option may be $105K but the WT will start at $39K. 

GM will offer all types of cab and bed options with models priced similar to the gas models. 

These will not be for everyone but this is the right path and the one the market will follow. Ford already has announced they are working on a similar platform but it is two years out. 

The sales of these trucks will also lower the prices of the EV models to come as they all share much the same parts. 

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

This is a more ambitious effort, but getting the Lightning on the market quickly doesn't seem like a bad move.
hyperv6
Racer

Brandan this is not a race but a Marathon. Being first with a technical lacking products will only serve you a short time. 

In this case Ford is about two years behind GM tech wise and to save face they had to rush the Lightning out while they are still 2 years away from a dedicated platform. By doing this first truck is good for PR for a short while but eats into the budget for the more advanced product that is coming.

GM has also had a history of rushing product out and then having issues. The 8-6-4 Cadillac and the early Buick Turbo cars were all rushed out and had issues. I was glad to see GM finally take the time to get things right on this new EV products and also wait to get the prices down.  

I just saw the base Work truck can be ordered to tow 20,000.  They also plan a full range of product prices along the ICE vehicles. These trucks will be decent selling product and will help pay off the investment and reduce prices even faster. 

As for now the Lightning is a Black Berry and the GM truck is a Apple I phone 13 the most recent Samsung. What would you rather have? 

The Lightning did its job jumping up stock prices a little when they really needed it. Now will it hold on. 

Going forward it is not a matter of being first but a matter of being the best. 

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

All good points. Ford seems to think that there are conquest sales to be had and once those buyers get a taste of an electric F-150 they may be customers for quite a while.
hyperv6
Racer

Will just see how many go for the Ford now that the Chevy is known. Ford just wanted to get out there before they looked foolish and late to the game. All they are pedaling is a converted truck when GM is selling a complete engineered package. 

This is a night and day comparison here. 

BMD4800
Gearhead

Towing 20k? So the truck will weigh 5800 lbs? Because 26,001 becomes an issue in many states.
It’s like the marketing people are listening to Cigaro on a continuous loop when putting this together.
hyperv6
Racer

Hey that is what they said and to be honest with the added weights coming we will need to address this with bridges and roads as it is something no one is talking about yet. None of these BEV are light. 

stick_shift
New Driver

I disagree. I don't see how the Silverado is leaps and bounds ahead of the F150. Case in point, EV vehicle ranges are increasing every few months. The Silverado won't be available for 16 months or so. By then, a 400 mile range (which is the LONGEST range offered) will be mid-pack to other offerings. I expect to at least one OEM to offer an Ev with 500 mile range this year.
hyperv6
Racer

The Chevy now offers over 400 miles and with a 10 min charge it can add 100 more. You will note that this is the starting point and it is expected each year the range will increase, charge times will improve and cost will decrease.

This while a F150 will continue to increase in cost to meet emissions each year and will lose more cylinders and become ever more difficult to meet coming regulations.

Besides can a $40K half ton F150 pull 20,000 pounds as the new Chevy WT can?

Note too the numbers given on the Chevy now will go up a bit at intro next Jan. They will continue to work and add to the range. Also GM understates most ranges as they did HP as not to get caught over estimating. Most GM EV products will beat the stated numbers and that trend will continue.
BMD4800
Gearhead

Pulling 20,000 lbs with ANY half ton is idiocy.

Pulling 20,000 lbs of gooseneck and equipment with a single rear axle 1 ton is questionable, at best.

20,000 lbs. come on man, physics doesn’t take a knee because the ICE is gone.
hyperv6
Racer

Tell that to GM not me. I only state what they said. As I stated above weight will need to be addressed in many areas and no one has been talking about that yet. People make false claims of the grid being an issue when many of our bridges are going to be the weak spot. 

mhealy1
Advanced Driver

A 400 mile (the one GM is expected to “eke” out according to the article) recharge will take over an hour, IF you can find a 350 KwH DCFS Charger. There are around 15000 of those chargers in the whole USA, and many charge at a rate less than 350 KwH.
20K tow capacity WT is planned, not currently available for $39K.
I get the excitement of the new tech but we need a reality check here. Just out of curiosity, hyperV6, what do you drive and how long does it take to add 100 miles of range on the tech you have available to you?
hyperv6
Racer

Contrary to your comment eke out 400 miles is not what is expected. It is expected to be in excess of 400 miles. 

Also there is no doom or gloom about chargers as the numbers increase of EV models the number of charging stations will increase. Most in public will be of the high voltage nature since most will need faster charging times at these locations. Chargers will grow as the market grows. 

Also the lower charging that is going on now is the fact most cars did not have ultra high rate of charging. Most new models are adopting this and that is becoming the new standard. Expect with technology the chargers will generally be upgraded and improved as we get better tech. 

The 20K will have the larger battery. But the point is the WT should be very capable to handle anything we got now and still not for a crazy price as it once was. 

I really don't see this as exciting on the new tech. Im just trying to keep up as my work depends on the automotive market and though I am a ICE fan I am already dealing with EV products and future products that will be supplied to them. 

Some live in a cloud of denial often posting things on the web that just blatantly false. The lies are told so often that they become fact to some. The harsh reality is this change is coming and no election or political moves is going to stop it. MFG have fully committed and feel in the future 15-20 years they will be able to give the market fully what it needs to live with these models. 

I plan to keep my gas cars as long as I can but when I do up grade I will purchase the best charger available. I even had my garage built to accept a charger when the time comes.  

The closest charger to me just happens to be a Chevy dealer and it charges at the max rate so If I had this truck it would take 10 Min for 100 miles. 

Note I don't live in a EV heavy area either. 

Tim
Technician

I think you're getting the cart before the horse and you've made a number of assumptions that aren't yet verified. First and foremost, the range is an estimate provided by GM. We'll need to wait and see what real world numbers are. Even if 400 is achieved, we already know it will only be available on the largest-capacity battery, which will at $20K over a base battery and $10K over a midrange battery.

The WT is *supposed* to start at $39K, which is manufacturer-speak for "before delivery". That would be a 200-mile range "stripper," and given the well-tried and perfected playbook of past EV launches, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not available until many heavily-optioned profit-making models have been produced, by which time, the price will likely rise some. (See Tesla's playbook here. See also Ford's in-progress playbook as well as others.)

I would make a heavy bet that there will *not* be "all types of cab and bed options". At best, there may be an extended cab option with one bed length added in addition to the current single-bed Crew, but don't count too heavily on that. Certainly, there will be no "models priced similar to the gas models." Batteries are expensive and trucks need a literal ton of them. $20-$30K worth of batteries to compete with the range of gasoline- and diesel-powered alternatives. Even with federal incentives, the EV option is not an even-dollar alternative at time of purchase. The cost of ownership has been heavily analyzed and at best the break-even is around the 5-year mark if one factors in paying dealer prices for all maintenance and repairs for the comparable ICE vehicle.

Don't confuse my comments with pessimism, however. There is a future for EVs and the future is now for those willing to work with the compromises until improvements are made. I'm on the reservation list for the F150 Lightning, which sounded very promising at the time it was introduced. The idea of getting an electric F150 near the cost of a gas-powered F150 (after federal tax incentive) sounded really appealing. Unfortunately, pricing one as I would want is still about $10K more than ideal. Of course, this situation is probably for the best because manufacturers and the electric grid surely could not meat demand if electric vehicles were fully cost-competitive and 75% of buyers suddenly opted for an EV over an ICE vehicle. The market needs time to mature from technology, manufacturing, supply and service sides.
hyperv6
Racer

You can match what Ford has for nearly the same price and get a much more advance truck vs the conversion Ford is pawning off as new tech. What they did could be reproduced with a kit from GM and Ford in a home garage. 

OldCarMan
Instructor

Until China extorts more money for raw materials, batteries, and chips!
hyperv6
Racer

Being addressed now. 

Flashman
Technician

That's finagle.
daveott3
Pit Crew

The GM bankruptcy cost the American taxpayer probably close to 30 BILLION dollars, once you take into account the stock losses, pension and medical benefits losses (they were all transferred to Social Security or Medicare, and the tremendous losses incurred by 401K's, investment funds, and GM retired employees (GM common stock wasn't the paper is was written on after the BK). Shortly after the BK, the ignition switch debacle hit and their CEO used the excuse that the company that sold those cars was no longer in business. So I still say it was a bad investment and I personally would have not spent one dime keeping them in business. They should have gone the way of the Dodo!
hyperv6
Racer

What about the cost that FCA was or the 5.9 Billion that Ford has yet to pay the government back for their loans from the energy department.

Also note the losses of the government sale of GM stock was the Presidents error. If they sold the stock yesterday they could have gotten $65 a share in the afternoon. Obama sold at the wrong time.

May the first with out sin cast the first stone!
MustangJim
Technician

Hyper, you say its not a race but a marathon. I beg to differ. Business is always a race and someone has to come first. Those biased to whomever comes in second place are likely to say they took their time and got it right...but they still came in second. Forgive me but I digress... Any new vehicle , no matter who makes it has some bugs and issues when they first come out. Ford is actually ahead of the game with the Mach E and the Lightening. By the time the Chevy ( which i like) comes to market Ford will not only be closer to releasing their next version but they will have learned from the first. This has been going on through out time. Do you think that Chevy was happy that the Mustang came out before the Camaro? Was it because they " got it right". No, its a race and all manuf. do the best that they can do to win. Yes, the 67 Camaro bb was faster then an S code Mustang ( please don't argue guys, I am a Ford guy) but Ford still built more loyal owners by getting to market first. So lets say this is a cool truck that will do very well and I am glad Chevy will join the competition but lets not slam Ford for getting a product out first.
hyperv6
Racer

Those with tech and money will take the time to get it right. Those with no money and need of higher stock prices will push thing early even if they are not fully developed. 

Ford knew what Chevy had as it was not a secret. Imagine trying to show the lighting after the Chevy was shown. It is showning now how far Ford is behind. That is why last week Ford released how they are doing their own specific EV truck platform that is two years off. 

They are being time. Do not get suckered in by the Marketing. Same not he Mach E. It is a nice car and all but just because it has a Mustang badge on it does not make it a Mustang. 

GM learned that the hard way when they put Cutlass on everything and found it was the RWD car that was the reason it sold well not the name. 

SJ
Technician

Ford entered into an agreement with the energy department and borrowed $5.9 billion as part of a loan program created to finance projects designed to help vehicles built in the U.S. meet higher mileage requirements and lessen U.S. dependence on foreign oil.
Ford confirmed the company modified the government loan in June to drop quarterly payments on the principal owed from $148 million to $37 million. Ford also confirmed $1.26 billion remains on the principal and deferral will include additional costs involving interest and a higher interest rate.
Meanwhile, spokesman T.R. Reid at Ford dismissed concern.

"It's a very small, cost-effective part of Ford's liquidity," he said. "It's good balance sheet management to reduce interim payments where possible."

The loan matures in June 2022, Reid said. "We plan to pay off the loan in full and on time."
MATTMERICA
Technician

Ford is a master at managing debt. It is possibly their greatest corporate skill. And they have never defaulted.
hyperv6
Racer

Ford has had to manage money well as they have not handled it well most times. Every time a Ford was in charge they ended up in trouble. Accept for Edsel he had the right idea but Henry over ruled him and sadly he passed too soon. 

Ford is also still his hawk for their plants. They still have outstanding loans on their plants that they got before the others got the bail out. The only reason they did not get bailed out is they went broke before the banks did. Then they cried and got the energy loan. 

Their stock prices have been horrible so they are trying to use the EV models to juice it up a bit pun intended.  But they are still not out of the woods as they are still playing catch up and still need more money or a partner. 

If not for the Ford family holdings Ford would have merged some place by now. 

They are still suffering from the change to aluminum on their trucks. The cost of aluminum went up and has taken some of the profits there and it has hurt. Note their did not do the Ranger or the Maverick or Bronco in Aluminum. I wonder if the next 150 will keep the material. 

All automakers have made a number of mistakes and they are masters of trying to cover in marketing and in finance. 

Development cost today have left it to where few can go it alone anymore. VW, Toyota and GM are about the only ones. Everyone else is in need of dance partners to share cost. GM is working to try to sell or license their tech to others to use. Honda was the first taker. More are expected as deadlines and regulations loom in. 

BMD4800
Gearhead

So we agree, they are all shameless grifters. Do we ignore the grift?
Oldroad1
Technician

No matter the excuses, John Q Public is being soaked for these and all other government bailout debacles. And GM was the engine pulling this train. We're still being soaked for the tax credits being offered to entice sales of these over rated test machines.
hyperv6
Racer

Well it is a matter of poor management at each company over decades. 

Then it boils down to do you pay to keep them alive or do you let them fail and then John Q Public is stuck paying for it in unemployment and welfare.  

The end results were mismanaged in the case of FCA. We really only saved Jeep and Ram for Fiat and now the French. At least we still have Toledo. 

GM has rebounded well and did what they needed to do decades ago and take a step back to focus more on the core of the company. MFGs can offer a car for every slight segment anymore. Two divisions are generally all most need.  While some jobs were lost it could have been much worse. 

Ford is still working their way out. They really needed the Bronco and Maverick. Now will they have staying power past the intro. That will be important. I expect the Bronco will but the Maverick still will have to prove itself as FWD based truck start strong but fade as they buyers fade after 2 years.

Right now will be key to get the money to try to catch up their EV program. Many MFGs will be adding a number of EV products in the next 3 years and it will be important they have an answer to most. GM Has 30 by 2025 coming to market. VW, Honda Hyundai and Chrysler will also begin dropping a number of models. Those who get it right will be rewarded those who miss the mark may struggle as this is a total restart of the industry. 

OldCarMan
Instructor

GM is still WAY too large to justify their products. At least Ford is trying to re-establish the mid-size truck niche. Their Transit vans have great potential if priced and marketed right.
DC/FCA/PC is going to be competitive, but as they well know if you don't come out on the front of the wave, you are an also-ran.
hyperv6
Racer

It is not he who rides the first wave but who gets the biggest wave and rides it to the shore. 

This is about those who get it right as this is a total reset for everyone. Mistakes have already been made by some. 

MATTMERICA
Technician

Mary Barra is an idiot and I would NEVER send a penny anywhere near a company that she is "running". And $30B might be a light estimate btw
OldCarMan
Instructor

Remember that the Great Recession was caused by the Federal mis-management of insurance and mortgage paper. THAT, and their stupid car czar, killing Pontiac for Buick, Saturn and Chrysler, then refusing to loan money unless they could control the car companies. Their ignorance and malfeasance caused Americans to lose BILLIONS of $!
hyperv6
Racer

I am a proud Pontiac owner but I will be the first to day GM only needs two Divisions in America.  Buick is only here due to China and I will admit GMC is a rare acceptation as they make a ton of money with the Denali line. 

You can not run automakers on emotions. 

BobPalma
Pit Crew

Amen, daveott3.
And just when you thought they couldn't produce an uglier full-size truck than the current Silverado, they come along with this overpriced, redesigned Avalanche!
tcchuck2005
Intermediate Driver

Looks like an updated Chevy Avalanche
Tim
Technician

Apparently, Chevy forgot that the body style wasn't as well-loved as their own fond memories recalled.
NITRO450EXP
Technician

Oh boy a new Avalanche !!!!
KYColonel
Detailer

...Ugly as ever
JSievers
Instructor

The bad news is that it’s another homely truck from Chevrolet. The good news is I won’t have to look at one for at least another year and a half.
bblhed
Instructor

Those prices look pretty good, lets see how the dealers ruin them. You just know that as EV's become more affordable dealerships will find new ways to tack on fees, waiting to see how much the "charge maintenance while on the lot fee" is going to be, I bet they work that one as a days on the lot charge so the longer it sits the more you pay.
Maestro1
Technician

Nope.
PurelyPMD
Detailer

I wanted to hate this but don't. I won't be running out to get one, but like the direction they're going.
positrac401
Pit Crew

After reading some of the previous comments , it appears that GM has there PR people working overtime to try and sell this , unfortunately I do not think any will make it north past the border to the great white north, why, exchange rate of 30%, high temp for yesterday -20F with wind chill of -30F which equates to an EV's cryptonite.
BMD4800
Gearhead

400 miles, tow 20k, recharges 25% of capacity in 10 minutes, it’s like a unicorn! Except, it isn’t. It’s all fluff.

They could have said - here is a plug in hybrid that can travel 100 miles in a charge, get 40? Mpg, still drive anywhere thanks to gasoline, or use little to none if you have a short commute. Win.

Nope, $105K status symbol with a battery pack that won’t last.
Oldroad1
Technician

Sounds like the EV version of a deep cell. Everyone knows how long they lasts.
hyperv6
Racer

Prove it!

janedon
Advanced Driver

having lived in the northern parts of a few provinces--there was a steep learning curve to running Diesel/gas or propane--Electric will just be Different solutions-- In Northern Alberta--needed block heater/Battery blanket & lots of Idling time-with a gas engine-- It's all about learning-