cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Chevy's eighth-gen Corvette Z06 is poised to topple these 3 production-car V-8 records

Last month, Chevrolet finally acknowledged that the first high-performance variant of its hugely popular eighth-generation Corvette is on the way, with a reveal date set for this fall. The tantalizing video clip focuses on the wondrous symphony emanating from the exhaust as an unseen Z06 prototype blitzes a closed track and public pavement.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/chevrolet-c8-corvette-z06-lt6-production-car-v-8-records/
28 REPLIES 28
MeJ
Detailer

It's really amazing how much the Corvette has changed over the years. I've been a fan since I got my first ride in a '70 BB when I was about 11. I've owned three and enjoyed them all. This new Z06 and the following HiPo versions are insane and are going to give the Europeans supercars a real run for their money.
The thing I've always liked about the Corvette (and the 911) is that beyond crazy performance and track numbers is that they still actually function as real cars. Cars where you can put miles on, that you drive in most weather, that you could take on a long road trip and still pack a few bags and get reasonable gas mileage.
These are things that you probably couldn't do in a car like an Avetador or Chiron or Pagani. Those (and many others) are purely toys and not what I consider a real, livable sports car.
Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

It still amazes me that the Corvette team was able to deliver a car that accurately benchmarks a Ferrari 458 for the price of a BMW M340i.
SAG
Detailer

what is a " '70 BB "
? never heard of that one, or worked on one ?
SAG
Detailer

unless we are referring to a
'70 Ferrari BB
SAG
Detailer

no way will the Corvette
match up to the '512'
SAG
Detailer

the "512" did it with out computer controlled systems
BobL79
New Driver

The car he is referring to is a 1970 Big Block Corvette. A 454cubic inch engine
bobm
Pit Crew

70 Big Block
mcich7781
New Driver

But will Chevrolet have the stones to let the C8 Z06 attempt to break the 24 hour records set by the C4 ZR-1 at Fort Stockton Texas in 1990? These records still stand to this day for a full fledged production vehicle.

markvii1
Intermediate Driver

I'm sure that there are many reasons to use plastic as intake manifolds, valve covers, and timing covers (cost of manufacturing, weight, etc.) but I can't help but think that Chevrolet missed a big opportunity to do something flashy with the flagship V8 they are building. LS and LT motors have always suffered from being unpleasant to look at while generally being the best V8 for power and longevity at reasonable prices right out of the box. How hard would it be to do a set of cast aluminum valve covers and a semi-polished or painted aluminum intake? Ferrari and Lamborghini put their engines under glass for all the world to see. Chevrolet did that with the LS9 ZR-1 corvette and all they showed was a plastic supercharger cover.

Just my two cents, offered for free.
daveott3
New Driver

Amazing, mid engined American Sports Car, only 56 years after Ford? Who is doing the engine development, for Government Motors, Ilmore? I doubt they have that kind of in house talent! Lastly, I still haven't figured out why we wasted 25+ Billion American taxpayers dollars saving their sorry ass, as well as Chrysler, and all the banks. If you make poor business decisions, swindle the public, as in the banks, and make bad products (with few exceptions) that don't sell why did the NITWITS in D.C. waste our money saving them?
BeatCancer
Intermediate Driver

If the playing field was level it’d be another matter. Look at what China has taken from us. Our fight is not internal, like you spew, but an EXISTENTIAL external one. We need to protect core skills and industry or your kids won’t even be a footnote.
L71Maynard
New Driver

Great car and great story about so many great cars!! Thank you Hagerty for highlighting so many wonderful autos.

I'm so sorry that you feel so negative about a product you would never purchase. It must be difficult going through stores seeing all types of things you wouldn't buy but have strong negative opinions about them. Life for you must feel very sad and lonely. Remember that Hagerty is a place for all people and all cars. Spread joy and happiness in this world and see if that makes you feel better.
orphancollector
New Driver

For your own wellbeing, I hope you are on blood pressure medicine and you don't blow an artery.  As long as we have big business influencing/controlling our government via PACS, we will have sweetheart deals.  

ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

Wow, your understanding of economics is impressive...not. Wasted? You are pretty unclear on the carry over value of that event. I think the acronym is R.O.I. The so called bail out has given multiples of value for the investment made and will for decades, mom and pop dealerships and large ones too... And the cars built in Kentucky are world class...no need to make excuses for "Buying American". Either pay attention or be the ostrich and try to perpetuate that myth of 'wasted money'.
audiobycarmine
Instructor

Jobs.
BeatCancer
Intermediate Driver

Now you put the craving of driving a Ferrari superfast in my caveman brain.
Abox5
New Driver

I got excited when I saw the clutch assembly in the first picture. Then I noticed that was a Ford engine. Still no third pedal. 😔
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

Yup, the way of three pedals is over. Because the ECU and everything in between that and the rear wheels is a specialized feat of engineering, basically to have a clutch would mean that two separate and distinct engine platforms would need to be developed. And GM (and Ferrari) are publicly traded companies...there's just no market/cost benefit...It's why I have a '17 z06, with a 7 speed ! 🙂
GoFast
Detailer

The Ford VooDoo V-8 and the coming Corvette LT6 V-8 definitely do not 'eschew' crankshaft counterweights. They are necessary to achieve primary (at engine rpm) balance. Because the crank throws are spaced 180 instead of 90 degrees apart, the above 'flat=plane crank' engines suffer from second order (twice engine rpm) vibration. Such a crankshaft design is preferable in ultra high performance and racing V-8 engines to achieve 180 degree firing intervals between the cylinders in each bank to aid scavenging (improved exhaust flow).
AlexSommers
Pit Crew

I always check the replies with bated breath after posting.
Nicely done, you've spied the first mistake. Your prize is an admission of truth and a correction: FPCs employ less bulky counterweights.
Thank you for bringing your knowledge to the table!
carguyjim
Detailer

Well, I hope I'm wrong! I'm looking for a '13 427 Roadster. I have noticed in my research how much better the last C6's fare to early gen C7's.
I attribute that to the styling/design of the C6 versus the "new" styling which to me has largely lost the clean lines and distinctive style the C6 possessed...
The "new" 'Vettes perform better, but sometimes when I see one II think I'm looking at a Lambo or Ferrari....
That's NOT what attracts me to the brand....
MustangJim
Detailer

I read the article, and the comments.I have never been a Corvette fan and the only one that I would want would be a 62 with a 327/4speed...BUT. I think that this is a absoluely fantastic car for America and for American sports cars. This is a car, as others have said that benchmarked Ferrari and costs the same as a BMW ( not to mean those are cheap, I can't afford one of those either). This car makes me proud to support domestic marques and it will not only compete with the world but win. It also helps the advance technology to eventually drip down to the cars that I can afford. On a side note I am a fan of the GT 350 with the flat crank..but look at my screen name .
Oldroad1
Instructor

Not impressed. After watching the Ferrari teams out run the Corvette teams all day and all night in France it is my conclusion that only a Ford can beat a Ferrari.
Aquay_Mizmo
Intermediate Driver

I have never not had a Corvette for the past 45 years, but I don't have a need or skills for a car of that caliber. I can't even fit in my C8. The C7 wasn't much better. I'm going back to a C6 as I could fit in it and I love the taillights. But to me, the mystique of the Corvette was gone when the hideaway headlights went away.
New Driver

Ah yes I did enjoy the short-lived most powerful Vette that Chevy had built to date, with a C7 Z06, till the (19) ZR-1. I also still enjoy a 87 C-4, as you can actually use the gas pedal with only about 270 hp on tap. I do find the flat-plane intriguing after watching its first race as one of the C-8R (2020) shook itself to the pits... That said, I truly miss the old cross-plane growl, but if it wasn't for the Jones, we wouldn't have the mid-engine at all. Exciting times for the Corvette as transitions from a bruiser to a dancer. I hope I don't fall for the siren-call of the Z06 engine as there is no room in the garage and one of the babies will have to go, which one...
SAG
Detailer

Glad one 'US' manufacture still has its "game on".
Gary_Bechtold
Technician

This will be an interesting car. I wonder what else besides the engine is going to be improved. It will be interesting to see what this car is all about shortly.