cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Chevy's 1004-hp big-block, spiciest Cayman yet, shred of hope for Saab

Intake: Chevy's big-block crate offerings just got meaner. Just announced, the massive 10.3-liter ZZ632 churns up 1004 hp at 6600 rpm with 876 lb-ft of torque at 5600 rpm-Chevrolet Performance's most powerful crate motor in history.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-manifold/2021-10-20/
10 REPLIES 10
drhino
Technician

Saabs were great cars. I had a Sonett III and a 99 way back in my college days. GM killed them (as they have a long history of doing) by slapping the nameplate on increasingly derivative vehicles. (Although I always thought the WRX “Saabaru” was rather cool.) I think that “Born from Jets” marketing line was launched during GM ownership. It more accurately could have been “Born from Opels”. My opinion; the last (real) Saab was the 900.
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

What's the price tag on the Chevy 632? 10.3L, that thing is a monster. I'm impressed with the power output of that with out a turbo or supercharger.

Saab? What is there to sell? Why would anyone want to buy whatever scraps are left.

England just gives me facepalm with the EV mandates they are going after.
Maestro1
Technician

Read drihno in the Comments. I had a 900 Turbo Hatch and I'm sorry I sold it. And no one should sell anything to GM. And I've had more GM cars both new and used in the past than I care to tell you about. I can afford anything they make and I won't go near the products.
Well done, Manifold. I'd love to see Saab reincarnated without a lot of electronic BS and with the spirit mine had.
Inline8OD
Advanced Driver

The first item is simply dumb. No one needs a 1,004 hp, 632-ci engine. Such crapola is just lightning rod for those wanting to attack our internal combustion cars, when according to UN and other studies, animals raised for meat and dairy produce more greenhouse gas than all the world's cars, trucks, buses, trains, planes, ships combined. Such obnoxious nonsense only hastens the end for those of us wanting to enjoy i.c. cars of any vintage, including ancient brass, and '30s juggernauts built when the principal path to power was cubic inches.
Why is Hagerty playing up this idiocy? Let Chevy pay for an ad.
MidntPurpleRain
Intermediate Driver

@Inline8OD Yes, it is 100% Hagerty's fault for hastening the demise of the internal combustion engine by reporting the news of a new Chevy big block engine. That makes total sense, because NOBODY else is reporting on it either.

Inline8OD
Advanced Driver

Not remotely what i said, and it's hardly "news" anyone needs.
Tinkerah
Technician

I, for one, never would've heard about it otherwise and I'm glad that it will be available even if no one buys them. I like when American talent does impressive things and I like choices.
TonyT
Instructor

The last time I looked, this is still America, and we enjoy a thing called "freedom." Does anyone need "ludicrous" speed from a Tesla? Does anyone need a diesel-pusher motorhome, or a 35 foot sailboat? Just because something is available doesn't mean you have to buy it. I would love to own an S&W 500 revolver, but I don't need one. A few years ago, we spent north of 20K on a 632 race engine for our NHRA Super Comp race car. I'm betting that this new Chevy engine won't be quite that expensive. Question: Did you complain when the Hellephant was introduced?
MidntPurpleRain
Intermediate Driver

I think the 632's main competition/tough selling point is the fact that you can probably build a 1,000 hp twin turbo LS for less than this thing will probably cost. I think this'll be a market dud aside from the few people who thump their chest and proclaim "there's no replacement for displacement" but I think that is an ever shrinking crowd. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the big block chevy a lot, but like a Buick, Olds, Pontiac or Cadillac V8 from the days of old, there are better, more affordable options for power unless you want to keep your car "pure" and not LS swap it.

TonyT
Instructor

I agree that a 1,000 horsepower LS is doable from a price standpoint, but the LS has a known windage problem (the reason Corvette went dry sump) and there aren't enough head bolts to adequately contain high boost levels for very long. We've even seen head gasket failures on them at 13 to 1 compression N/A, so while they are great street engines, when it comes to serious racing power levels, it's hard to beat a Rat.