cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Chevy investigates ornery Corvette gearboxes, Holden history for sale, Jeep gets graphic

Intake: Following multiple reports of leaks, contaminated filters, and outright failures of the Tremec dual-clutch automatic transmission in the C8 Corvette, GM has notified the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) that it is looking into the problem, according to a report from autoevolution.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-manifold/2021-11-03/
19 REPLIES 19
drhino
Technician

Vette gearbox issues: Karma for not putting a manual in it? You be the judge.
cyclemikey
Detailer

Yeah, right. And don't forget the roll-up windows and AM radio.

You guys are getting to be like the old farmer driving his buggy rig along the road in 1905, stopping every time he saw an automobile with a flat tire, to yell "get a horse!" at the motorist.
TG
Technician

As someone who not entirely willingly migrated from a 3-pedal car to an autostick - you cannot beat them performance-wise. Sorry... it sucks... but its true. Every time you take your foot off the gas to shift, i'm going to be another 2 to 3 car lengths head of you
Oldroad1
Technician

Who says you gotta take your foot off the gas to shift?
MATTMERICA
Technician

Regarding the Jeep graphics - you don't really have to look back too far, but in the 70's you could get super cool graphics on all the Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. It only took less than 50 years to "remember" that lol
gpsuya
Advanced Driver

Hey GM, a cure all would be to offer 3 pedals with a real manual transmission.
Air_and_Water
Instructor

Sadly, it won't fit. They say there's literally no room for shift linkage. 😞
Oldroad1
Technician

The could if they wanted it. Ford did it with the GT40s and the massive FE side oiler 427 in the way with all it's goodies. Besides, manual transaxles don't take up as much space as a Tremec dual clutch automatic. Shifting can be done with hydraulics or even gas pressure.
cyclemikey
Detailer

Sure, but at some point, you're just mimicking what the DCT does. Here's an idea - just move the paddle shifters to a stick on the floor, and put in a clutch pedal that just gives your left leg something to do.

PorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

It's not your mama's 'hemi GTX... this puppies amped up.
Theskate
New Driver

Forget the C8's i had 2 C7's and both had transmission issues the worst of which was the 2016 that went through 4 complete fluid changes and finally a a new torque converter I i dumped that car rather than find out if the last fix worked....chevrolet seemed clueless
ed
Advanced Driver

Although I have put my deposit in for a new Z06, this is my main concern with the C8...that the engineering is far ahead of the support.  Heck, when I took my C6 in for an oil change, the tech seemed puzzled with the dry sump.  Imagine a new belt on a C8.

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

First year production/design issues on the newest model and someone’s surprised? I can’t think of any manufacturer that hasn’t suffered the same. Price some pay to be the first on their block.
And REAL enthusiasts do their own oil changes. 

LoudV8
Intermediate Driver

As for Clarkson's GT, he could have kept the car and dumped the aftermarket junk installed.

Tinkerah
Engineer

In spite of its lowered stance that VW is poised to conquer that staircase.
Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

At my age I take comfort in the nostalgic and old technology. And I like both of my 3-pedal cars…one of which I used to autocross. But I don’t rail against them.  Geez, the invention of  synchros must have really been upsetting to some. 
And the term is dual clutch transmissions (DCT), not “flappy paddle” which some repeat like a broken Sinatra record. It’s also anything but boring. I guess the touch-tone phone was boring to some over the ‘good ole’ rotary version too. Or maybe we should’ve stuck with those entertaining carburetors instead of the boring EFI systems. 
I also think someone asserted a 3-pedal vehicle is usually valued higher  and I think they might be correct…when compared to traditional automatics in older collectibles. None of those relate to a DCT. 

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

But your left leg already has something to do. 
A better idea… use a left and right paddle on the steering column to shift up and down in milliseconds of when YOU decide it’s time, and still be able to keep both hands on the wheel, right foot on the accelerator and left foot ready for needed braking. Hopefully with a well-positioned tach and mimicking nothing. 🤙

Zeissmaster
Intermediate Driver

I for one think paddle shifters suck, unless you only drive in a straight line. Unless you are driving a Circle track I don't think it is possible to keep both your hands on the paddle shifters while cornering on an Autocross or Road Course. Would love to try, with someone else's car.
SJ
Technician

Wait until you get old. Wish I could still drive a stick, but don't want to be punished for being unable to do so. Doesn't make financial sense to offer both. OK with no stick, yes I miss the shifting/control,just keep the V8's around for me.