cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Celebrate Chevy's world-beating big-block on 4/27 | Hagerty Media

Chevrolet's 427 cubic-inch big-block didn't last long, but it made an indelible mark in the performance world. The Mark IV big-block 427, available only from 1966-69, is the one that muscle car fans perhaps most revere.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/celebrate-chevys-world-beating-big-block-on-4-27/
23 REPLIES 23
DC
Intermediate Driver

USA 1. !!!
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

Now that we can see how this system works, a lot of Ford guys are holding their breath for tomorrow AND the next day, and then those Lincoln fans have their brief moment in the sun. Certain Cadillac owners will be sitting up for midnight on Saturday morning! (It's only 5/00 for a second.)

It's a fun formula, but we really should start sooner. That cute Buick aluminum V8 got short-changed, the day after Valentine's.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

Why wait? The Ford 427 was one of the top 10 engines of all time.
MikeSS
Intermediate Driver

I own a SS427 Impala that I bought new in 1968 and have always enjoyed the tourque that it has to propell the weight of this car to speed limits when entering freeway onramps. Just recently rebuilt the motor with Edelbrook performer aluminum heads and cam! I could’ve built it as a 454, but the 427 just felt right for this car.
Tinkerah
Technician

Kudos on keeping that great one-owner cruiser all this time! I don't even have all the teeth I had in '68.
Pappypete
New Driver

Would love to see the long version of this, with Dave and his photographer explaining the entire film, step by step. Also, would have been nice if the car was badged as a 427, instead of 396!
dooscoop32
Intermediate Driver

427 just has that magical sound for both Chevrolet and Ford fans. Happy 4/27 day!
dooscoop32
Intermediate Driver

From the exotic all-aluminum ZL-1 427 Chevrolet to the Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427 Ford, these were the legends of the 60s and still are today!
acegan
Pit Crew

I was lucky enough to be at the Fred Gibbs either 30 or 35 anniversary show where there were 3 Zl-1 cars and multiple iron copos. In total I think thee were 9 or so of his cars there.
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

So nice to see a '69 Camaro without a cowl hood. Also with not only the correct stripes-but the stripes put on correctly!
Lightning1
Detailer

I didn't see a Camaro
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

It's in the video, the recipient of the 396 rebuild.
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

This is a great week , yesterday was 4/26 day, which I celebrated with my 6.4 liter Hemi jeep and today I get to do it with my 71 Chevelle SS that has a 427 in it. Hurray for 4/27 day!
acegan
Pit Crew

I’ll celebrate the SOHC the only engine that should have that displacement. All the others can hand out the the dodge, or wait till tomorrow when we celebrate the 428scj. Or Thursday when the big boss has its day.
OldRoad
Instructor

Ford and Chrysler BBs used to chew them bowtie 27s for breakfast and spit em out for lunch. Also remember those big block Chevys chewing up cam shafts especially the 96s. I also have a memory of a teacher friend of mine who dropped an aluminum 427 in his El Camino bout 1979. After the 5th pass he was squirting hunks of piston out his pipes. Chevrolet produced some of the finest small blocks of any of the big three but their early big blocks? I don't recommend them.
HHCO
Intermediate Driver

It’s still impressive to pop the hood and see a big block setting there.

drjim
Detailer

L-88 engines used a flat-tappet cam, NOT a roller cam.
The start carts for the SR-71 used Buick engines.

- Jim
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Good catch Jim, the solid-lifter typo was just a force of habit. As for the start carts, the Buick V-8s were replaced with 454s in the '70s. http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/ag330_sr
drjim
Detailer

OK, didn't know about the nailheads getting swapped out for BBC's. All the start carts I ever saw had the nailheads.

nflowers
New Driver

Very cool!

SJ
Advanced Driver

I remember doing the packaging for shipment 427's for the Vietnam Patrol Boats. No air cleaner just a metal basket over the carb.
Rob1
Instructor

I had the pleasure of being around BB Chevrolet and BB Ford 427,s early in life as a garage where i worked the owner was a long time drag racer nothing like the sound to this geezer anyway of a BB with a lumpy stick coming up on the pipe.R
Guitar74
Gearhead

Oh well, I missed it. I also forgot to celebrate 2/89 at the end of April this yr.