cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Carini: To hot rod or not?

I’ve loved hot rods for just about as long as I can remember.

When I was a kid, Dad’s cousin Tom had space at the family’s restoration shop, and using whatever was at hand, he would build some down and dirty hot rods. My friend Tommy and I thought they were so cool. We’d spend hours and hours hanging out in the shop just watching these basic machines take shape.

For most of my adult life, I’ve been involved with cars that are more or less stock. That’s particularly true when it comes to Ferraris, where every nut and bolt is documented and originality is so important. You learn quickly there are certain cars that are OK to customize and others that you absolutely cannot touch ... 

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/carini-to-hot-rod-or-not/

20 REPLIES 20
Intermediate Driver

As a Harley Davidson owner for years, I find that the cost of modifications on a stock Bike is the inverse of what someone get when they sell.

Instructor

To modify or not comes down to a number of things. One what the car is. No you do not modify a 250 GTO.  But if it is a car that they made a great number of like a Model T then is is not such a great sin. 

Also what modifications you make often  an result in added or lost value. Put a 350 Chevy in a 65 GTO lost value. Add a VSE Herb Adams suspension to a Fiero with the DGP IMSA body you may triple the cars value. 

Hotrods are the one area where most are worth more than they are stock. Many a hot rod is not based on a high value car. Often most are basket cases supplemented with custom or repo parts. It becomes a canvass that you create upon. If documented right they can result in a great deal of increased value. 

On the other hand many a Pro Street car is not always so lucky. Many are not built well. If documented they can result in a increase in value but many are not and sell for way less than what was invested. 

Also supply and demand play a roll. Many people want Hot Rods but Pro Street has a smaller group of enthusiast as most are not easy to drive everywhere. 

The real key is to build what you want. With my car I could put it all back but as time has passed the parts I used to create my car are worth more than some similar cars. I saw the rare T top gaskets sell for $1500. 

Like buying a car buy what you enjoy. What you modify use good judgment and taste then make sure it is what you like. That way no matter what car of mods you may have done you have a car you like. 

Pit Crew

Wayne don't you proofread your stuff? You talk of a 32 Roadster then show a 32 Cabriolet!!!!

Hagerty Employee

I assure you the flub was mine. The visual's been fixed, thanks!
Intermediate Driver

Okay, maybe your mini isn't worth what it could potentially have been.  Big freaking deal.  You had fun with it, right?  Its just a car.  Drive it until the wheels fall off, and enjoy it!

Pit Crew

Wayne, the DK Engineering TR250/500C recreation you are selling is a violation of these rules.  A violation I would happily purchase if I could.  Customization is always in the eye of the holder.  It is always the risk of the original cars value.  Some like 32 Fords or 49 Mercs become so ubiquitous that they seem to transcend the rule and are valued above an original.  People don’t generally hot rod Ferraris because of their normal intrinsic value.  But Steve Moal did, and I would give my eye teeth for the Zausner Torpedo.  Hot rodding has always been about adding performance and personalizing cars.  It is a personal thing and I would say it is never about the final value.

Pit Crew

When Notre-Dame is rebuilt, it will not be the same edifice as was originally completed in the 13th century, despite the fact that only one was built.  They're restore it to be what the church and the funders need it to be.  And then they'll use it.  

They made about 10 of these Fords (and this is a relatively "rare" car) for every year that has passed since the cathedral was built.  I'd say do with it what you need to do, then use it.  The only disgrace would be to build a static show queen.  

Intermediate Driver

I did all there was to do with my '30 Model A engine in '51, I kept the car absolute stock otherwise, cops clocked me at 92 mph, nobody ever beat me from a stoplight drag.  The key was the stock look, then the speed, total shock to plenty of people.  Tudor body dragged lots of air, this limited top speed but who cares.

Passenger

I’ve been driving past Wayne’s shop since he opened F40 and appreciated his devotion to original design. I resisted the temptation to resto-mod my ‘70 Cuda at the peak of the craze and now I’m glad I did. People who see it for the first time marvel at the originality - down to the code stampings, paint daubs and factory imperfections. It helped that I’d been around the car since new (I’m the “original passenger”) and took 200 photos before and during the restoration. 

I shared my car with a bunch of kids when Hagerty sponsored a Driving Expreience at the Consumer Reports test track to teach kids how to drive a stick shift. The event was chronicled in the Chasing Classic Cars “Need for Speed(ster)” episode. It was great to let the kids stumble though learning to work the clutch and watch their pride at mastering it. It was also the first time that I drove car in the rain in 40 years!  The best part was being able to spend time chatting with Roger about his days of racing on the Nurburgring.