cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California’s gas pump picker lives in automobilia heaven

If Jay Leno’s actual garage, Rick Hendrick’s nostalgic warehouse full of Corvettes, or any of the other myriad automobilia collections demonstrate anything, it’s that antique gas pumps, signs, and service station relics have been popular for a good while now. Gone are the days when you could drive out into the desert and scoop up dry climate-preserved Magnolia signs and complete Sinclair pumps for a song. In the digital commerce era, old gas pumps and signs can fetch thousands of dollars.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/gas-pump-picker-lives-in-automobilia-heaven/

Replies (3)

Replies (3)

Location is everything - in the desert or in the middle of a forest this kind of place is magical. Put the same exact collection and buildings on a similar sized lot in the average suburb or small town and by the end of the week it would be smothered with abatement notices from the city.

Detailer

Fantastic article. My grandfather owned and ran several Malco service stations (globe in third picture) in NM, El Paso and AZ during the 60’s and 70’s. I barely remember as a small kid in the back seat when my parents would pull up to the pump and request to fill it up with ethyl. My dad has that same globe from when my grandfather passed in ‘88, and my brother already called first dibs on it. 

New Driver

Love it!

Intermediate Driver