cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

C8 Corvette conga line spied in Ohio, ZR1 and Z06 likely | Hagerty Media

Several months into its launch, the C8 Corvette Stingray remains a hot-ticket item. That these mid-engine marvels are, in many circumstances, still selling for way over sticker price suggests significant demand for what is inarguably a seismic shift in the story of America's sports car.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/c8-corvette-conga-line-spied-in-ohio-zr1-and-z06-likely/
30 REPLIES 30
hyperv6
Technician

You will see the Z06 in July.
FloridaMarty
Pit Crew

GM sure went to a lot of trouble to get everyone's attention for the new vehicles.
Iso_Grifo
Detailer

They should keep bags on them when they're released. Especially over the back.
stevecobb45
Detailer

No mention of an EV? I'd be surprised if that's not in the works w/all-wheel drive.
Eric
Hagerty Employee

Nothing concrete in the way of a pure EV, but there are rumors of a hybrid ZORA with electric motors for the front wheels.

PC6
Pit Crew

No comments about all wheel drive? 800HP will be leathal. Wish Chevy would go to the old school split windshield wipers Vettes had forever!

Kind of the key on the left for Porsche
PC6
Pit Crew

Bring back the round tail lights as well. Point is, make a connection or tie in former Vette traditions where the Mid Engine car takes over.

Heritage is important
Figuero
Intermediate Driver

When the facelift year rolls around, hopefully they will remove some of the "Stingray/stinger" style cues that clutter up the cars basic design. I'm not a fan of the instrument cluster either, digital speedometer....really?
Lightning1
Detailer

Question; will GM ever discover that real drivers like 3 pedals under their feet?
BMD4800
Instructor

Too many emissions variables.
Besides, it’d be all nanny controlled anyway.
I dig the Vette, it’s cool, a neat tech exercise, but not my bag.
Way back GM discontinued manual transmissions in trucks because of the “low take rate”. Before they did, I found 1 west of the Mississippi. No dealer in the area would order one because they said it wouldn’t sell.
The dealers control demand via their orders and what people are willing to take, vs waiting.
Sorry, pretending with paddle switches is all we get.
DaveH
Intermediate Driver

No, I worked in dealership management for 20 years the dealers don't control demand- if you wanted one just order it. And yes you have to wait, just like any other special order or colour that's not in stock- and sticks were very rare so we wouldn't order them. They'd sit out on the lot for a year or two and ended up losing money them.
JohninNC
Detailer

Pipe dream and pointless comment to follow: What if GM bought the rights to the Countach and put all GM guts and drivetrain and electronics under the Countach skin. How awesome would that be. OK, sorry to waste 12 seconds of your time.
Lightning1
Detailer

You didn't waste time. You just described the 21st century Pantera.
drhino
Instructor

Yawn... wake me when it has 3 pedals.
FordRules
New Driver

Woweee!! I’m sure all the old coots (who buy Corvettes and polish them to death) gathered around the table at the geriatric home are sooooo excited by this news!! 850hp of which the typical vette owner will use 49hp going to pickup their ED prescription on a sunny day.
BMD4800
Instructor

I have 700 plus in a RWD sedan that had 20% of that stock. LS, turbo, cam, heads, blah, blah. Without all the electronic gizmos, it is nuts. With track electronic stuff it is kind of streetable. I’ve driven a Hellcat and even that is pretty wild, for a car anyone can drive.
These older folks are likely genuinely scared of the car or too stupid to realize they should be.
Case in point, I took my pile of garbage on the typical Saturday cruise. Basically a long drive to get a cup of coffee at the car guy cruise-in, and beat on this thing like I hate it up a couple long, straight freeway on ramps. Older guy with a newer ZO6 decides he’s going to “show Me” on the on-ramp. Remember, I beat on my car all the time, launch control this thing with 20 psi, I hit it harder than Ike Turner, so I know when it gets loose. I’m a good 300 for up the ramp, look in the mirror and watch the guy hard right into the fence. Stop, run back, he’s okay, hurt ego, car is fixable. He still has no idea what happened. Car got loose and he couldn’t react.

Point is-imagine the nanny controls with 850-1000 HP?
GoFast
Intermediate Driver

The Grand Sport nameplate will be shelved in favor of E-Ray for the gas-electric hybrid. Z06 may appear this year but it's likely a 2023 model year Corvette.
SJ
Advanced Driver

Awesome car, but I don't see a Corvette, I see a Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Probably with time I will. I can see why they did it, but I like the way the Pony Cars stayed the same'ish. Must be my age and growing up with them.
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Wow! I'm amazed! I couldn't even imagine driving a vehicle with 1000 hp! I would think these vehicles really belong on a race track rather than public roads to really get your money's worth and to truly experience what these cars are all about. To me these are fundamentally race cars. I assume these cars have a pretty hefty price tag, so I wonder how many of the buyers of these vehicles are just average people (who raided their 401k given the price tag) who want to own and drive a 'Vette and how many are purchasing the cars primarily as long term investments (the wealthy buyers). If I ever bought one of these cars I don't think I'd be able to drive it, or if I did take it for a drive I'd probably drive like a little old lady and just go around the block a few times before storing it in my garage in special vacuum-sealed plastic! I'd be totally paranoid given the price tag and the cost of insurance! I guess I'm just not daring enough and I'll have to stick with my 18 year old Toyota Celica! Oh well...:)
BMD4800
Instructor

I built mine.
There was little consideration about NVH and that keeps most people away. My wife hates it, one of my kids won’t ride in it, the other can’t stop smiling.
It wasn’t that long ago that 400-500 net HP was considered obscene.
I built a way too high compression motor and used race gas mixed with 93 pump. The car put almost 500 to the ground, had a terrible idle and was really not drivable. The boosted LS puts WAY more to the ground and is infinitely more drivable. I still use 100 octane unleaded race gas, but it is hot here most of the year.
Full potential? Every on-ramp baby. I LOVE it when I get the red light for traffic control and there is no traffic. 2-3 with lockup is insane.
Most days I drive a 7,000 lbs crew cab 4x4truck with 300 HP, so there’s that too….
MATTMERICA
Advanced Driver

If you want to see the new cars they are actually "testing" (they are not testing anything but how long it takes facebook users to post a sighting in Ohio lol) go to Colorado. The area is around Keystone, CO. My buddy lives there, I visit a couple of times a year, and I always see several of the new vettes in their camo/hiding stuff tooling around. And I mean tooling around; in the summer there are about 500 people that live in the whole area, and with the elevation and the different roads it must be a great place to test. I saw two vettes basically racing each other last August. It has been three years that I have been seeing the test vettes out there.
hyperv6
Technician

Actually RT 555 and RT 26 has a lot of testing done as it is a very good road to test real world handling on. 

Just  happens they got caught at a hotel. In this part of Ohio you do need to go to civilization to find a place to sleep unless you want a tent. 

They were not exactly driving Rodeo Dr. 

BMD4800
Instructor

Tons of towing tests in AZ too. When the GM DPG was in Mesa (it’s on the YPG base now), they’d off-road test in the same area I’d Javelina hunt.
gfviperman
Intermediate Driver

Poor things are not very pretty ... rear is an abomination ... probably a really good car for the money, but looks do count.
hyperv6
Technician

You know I can read a lot of post here from worried Porsche owners. They hate the rear end as they know that is all they will be seeing at 3 times the price. Lol! 

BMD4800
Instructor

Read my earlier post about going to Road Atlanta on an open track day.

Some folks can’t just enjoy cars.

Got beat by a kid with a brutal Civic at the drag strip. After congrats, I had to see what he did. Commended him on his dragon slayer.

A little humility goes a long way. She’s not going to leave you because the (Porsche) got beat.
OldRoad
Instructor

600, 850, 1000 HP? Where are you gonna drive that kind of lethal?
BMD4800
Instructor

Everywhere.
dreamingeagle
Intermediate Driver

slot cars;

i can remember when Corvettes were sports cars;

that was way back in 2019, when you actually had to drive them;
JoeItech
New Driver

Can’t wait for reveal