cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

BSA bikes to return to the road in 2021

You can now add BSA to the list of storied British brands being brought back from the dead. Thanks to Anand Mahindra, chairman of India’s massive Mahindra Group, the first BSA bikes since the 1970s are soon to be built in a new Midlands factory ... Read the full news on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/bsa-bikes-to-return-to-the-road-in-2021/

19 REPLIES 19
lukearnott
Passenger

BSA also made 3 & 4 wheeled cars in the 30's.

Studenorton
Instructor

Of all the possible incongruencies in language,  "electric BSA"  must be at the top of the list. 

hb
Intermediate Driver

How about an ultra short stroke, D.O.H.C, fuel injected Gold Star in old guard cafe' racer trim. 500cc with 70+ horsepower and a 9000 rpm redline. Bring the brand back with a bang.

Vidocq
Pit Crew

9000 RPM, did you say 9000???  You better check your temperature and get straightened out by the folks at Volkswagen - who own Ducati. 

Corkola
Intermediate Driver

Motorcycles should be light, electric motors and batteries aren't.   I'm pretty sure I will not be a fan of the reborn BSA.

67Firebird
Intermediate Driver

Bring back the 441 Victor Thumper, my rt kickstarter leg just about healed from the 60s. 

bhankinsonn
Intermediate Driver

As one who lusted for those bikes back in the 50's I will be axious to see what comes of this effort, hopefully a Gold Star 500 single

spark123
Detailer

I just don't understand what all the hype of battery powered vehicles is.  They are no more efficient or clean than an ICE vehicle.  The only advantage is constant torque.

cassman66
Intermediate Driver

In 1965, I got a 5 hp Jawa.  In 1972, a BSA 650 Thunderbolt.  The latter leaked oil, naturally (it IS British) and was slow.  But sounded fantastic.  

Vidocq
Pit Crew

Guys, 

Just for laughs, in late 2000 I toured the Deutsches Museum for five (5) solid days - WOW!  In it's motorcycle collection/display all the British bikes had drops of oil under them!  I'm not making this up.  You can't fool a Kraut!  My FireBird is a blast (and nearly as cool as say, Steve McQueen) - when I pull in for gasoline I'm attacked by the masses asking "Hey mister, what kind of bike is that?"  ... It has all original emblems and I wouldn't polish the flaming blue off the pipes any more than I'd clean the exhaust dirt off the side of a North American P-51 Mustang.     www.vidocq.pro

Zephyr
Instructor

BSA, Triumph, Norton. The golden age of motorcycles.

spoom
Technician

Sold my A65 a few years back. Nice bike in a historical sense. IMHO, BSA is never going to be back, nor Indian, Henderson, etc. let it go.
Rick2
Detailer

They did a good job with the "jeep" even if Fiat/Chrysler didn't  like it. And they do good tractors so why not BSA? 

OldBrokenWheel
Passenger

My reaction is like many others with British vehicle experience. After regular strandings roadside in rain or other inclement circumstances, impossible to reach hydraulic lines, Zener Diode failures, “Prince of Darkness” electrics and on and on, why would I consider any British marque? I would be stupid correct? And pay more that a HD price?!

Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

I have owned over 50 motorcycles and must say that I have had no more breakdowns with the British bikes than I have with Harleys or Japanese. I have even owned two Chinese bikes which gave me no trouble whatsoever. I think it's all down to care and attention.

spoom
Technician

Like with most of us who actually had a BSA, the zener diode reference brings a smile. What a genius design to regulate the charging system output by bleeding off excess power to ground. I enjoyed my A65 but I don't actually miss it. Why do the classic black leather King of the Road jackets have so many pockets? I think you do because BSAs didn't have saddlebags for all the spare parts you had to bring along. Part of being a quarterback

Vidocq
Pit Crew

Will they be offering a model, say a 750, with a capacitor instead of a leaky battery that isn't wired 'Positive Earth'?  Please viciously avoid all lucas (Prince of Darkness), smith's and amal anything.   Owner, '68 FireBird that left the factory with connecting rod bolts that were 'finger tight' + 1/16th of a turn!    

spoom
Technician

Considering it's Mahindra it probably could sell a lot more bikes by calling them Indians. As for the subsequent court challenges, I'm sure the provenance would be no worse than the "Victory Indians" which could perhaps be rebranded, "Indigenous Motorcycle Co.". 😝

brb
Instructor

Done right, the revived BSA could be a worthy period competitor to the revived Royal Enfield.