cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braking Points: Updated equipment improves the stopping and going

Chuck Jostad writes: I have a ’65 Pontiac Bonneville convertible with a stock 389. Several months ago, it died on the street. After a couple of minutes, I turned the key and it fired right up. It died and restarted twice more in the next five minutes, then didn’t start after the third time ...

In most distributors, the points and condenser are under the cap, and the advance mechanism is hidden in the body. But in the distributor used in many ’50s and ’60s GM cars, that’s reversed: The advance mechanism is directly under the cap, and the points are normally beneath that ...

Read the full Q&A on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/braking-points-updated-equipment-improves-the-stoppi...

Replies (1)

Replies (1)

I've had to pull two guys home with failed electronic ignition on tours with Model A's, If you replace your points & condenser about every 12 to 14K there's going to be little problem and with a few simple tools and a spare set along you'll go home on your own even if one of the two fails.  Only other I can add is, the new replacement later Ford points are easier to change, requires a different contact plate.  We did get stalled one time with our '54 Ford east of Chicago, replaced the condenser, went on home to MN.

warrene

Pit Crew