cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Brain scientist's 445-mile Sentra SE-R is a 30-year-old time capsule

Dr. Ronald Kalil was a man who prized precision. A Harvard grad with degrees from Tufts and M.I.T., Dr. Kalil died in 2021. He founded the University of Wisconsin-Madison's first Neuroscience Training Program in 1975, and the Center for Neuroscience in 1988, acting as their director for a combined 37 years.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/brain-scientists-445-mile-sentra-se-r-is-a-30-year-old-ti...
7 REPLIES 7
seinfeldbasslin
Intermediate Driver

"have to be a brain scientist to appreciate that a sport sedan in such original condition" sedan? where are the other 2 doors hiding?
Todd_Z
Intermediate Driver

Sedans can have two doors too.
SJacobT
Detailer

I put a quarter million miles on my '91 - a happier, more dependable car would be hard to find. I personally think a four-door would have had nicer-looking proportions and considering how hard they are to find I would like to find a clean (they rust bad here in Michigan) 4D S/SE and transplant an SR20DE (still have one sitting on a dolly!) and other SE-R bits.
Savethemanuals
New Driver

If there ever was a time for Nissan USA to purchase an example of this car, the time is now. This belongs in Nissan‘s Heritage Collection in Tennessee.
compaqdeskpro
Detailer

Forget McLaren F1's, now Nissan SE-R's won't be affordable in Gran Turismo.
Binksman
Pit Crew

And suddenly I am back in high school, one town away from the Smyrna Nissan plant where these were made. Thanks to a new factory with good paying jobs and a significant employee discount, a solid 25% of my school parking lot had a some model of the Nissan Sentra. It was a "perfect" first car for many family's teens, or third car for families at the time. Add in the influence of all those cheap, base model Sentras hitting the used market, and I don't think I'm exaggerating much if I credit the Sentra as being the car that opened the door for Nissan in the US South.

I agree, someone at Nissan in Smyrna needs to whip out the company credit card and start a North American Nissan Heritage Museum. Put in in a nice little building out by I-24 as a tourist stop.
IneffableIndsty
New Driver

I had a ‘91 SE-R and it truly was a great little sports car. That this example even exists is so odd. I suppose at the price it eventually sells for, it’s bound for a museum somewhere. It would be silly to buy it to drive it unless you just won the lottery and a Sentra SE-R is your dream car and I doubt there are many people for whom that’s true.