cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Both Bronco engines will be more powerful than expected, electric off-roader looks likely | Hagerty Media

When Ford revealed the Bronco in July of 2019, we were psyched to hear that the body-on-frame off-roader would deliver up to 270 hp with its turbo-four and 310 hp with a twin-turbo V-6. Those initial figures were conservative, according to a spec sheet just posted to Ford's media site.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/bronco-engines-more-power-farley-ev/
14 REPLIES 14
hyperv6
Technician

I would expect at lest that much or even more. 

My Canyon has 308 in the stock V6.  

Look for a tune kit from from that will add more boost and power. 

Alico87
Intermediate Driver

Your Canyon only has 275 lb-ft of torque compared to 415 for this 2.7 though and that's what you'll really feel
Rider79
Instructor

And that extra torque is mainly due to the turbocharging, which the Canyon V6 lacks.
hyperv6
Technician

I know what the torque is. I had a Turbo before. Just expected more HP. 

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

I hear that the take on the manual transmission model is well above Ford's expectations, good. I know my brother placed an order for one and has had his build date moved twice. Hopefully that means they'll make more and maybe expand the manual's options.
I couldn't care less about the electric model, but some people like those. For me, if I can't shift my own gears then forget it.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

They look nothing like this in person, maybe unless you buy the "Rubicon" type version. They look like a neutered soccer mom crossover. I sure hope Toyota doesn't put out something similar with the next 4runner!
Air_and_Water
Detailer

That's because you've only seen the "Bronco Sport", which is a completely different car and is based on the FWD-based Escape with 3 cylinder engines mounted transversely. The actual Bronco isn't out yet and is a body-on-frame car with a longitudinal engine and "proper" 4WD. 🍺

MATTMERICA
Instructor

Finally somebody that gets it! I am with you - I have seen three of these things, and unless I saw the "Bronco" on it I thought is was euro-cruiser suv. All three vehicles I saw were sport models, and I was absolutely and completely underwhelmed.
Rider79
Instructor

I don't think you saw the Bronco, but rather, the Bronco Sport.
neilternet
Pit Crew

It looks like they got the fender flares from the JC Whitney catalog. I saw a four door parked in Moab, Utah a few weeks ago with manufacturer license plates. It looked very capable although the upper and lower control arms looked a little on the light duty side. The rear suspension looked very rugged. It had plenty of skid plates.
Dave404
Detailer

What no diesel option? It won't land in my driveway. I'd rather have the GMC Canyon which has a proper inline diesel truck engine with a cast iron block. Heavy duty!
Rider79
Instructor

Most folks will be happy to forego a smelly diesel.
Alico87
Intermediate Driver

Very adequate power and the torque is significant! Both of these motors have proven very responsive to tuning in other applications so they both seem like very viable options.
RedRyder_SFZ
Intermediate Driver

For you guys dogging the Bronco Sport, I encourage you to drive one. We ordered a “proper” Bronco and in the mean time bought a Bronco Sport to get through the winter and trade in once Ford got their butts in gear on the one we ordered.

No, it’s not a “real” Bronco but it’s really nice. My wife gets 29 mpg with the small 4cyl. It’s looks relatively cool in “Area 51” paint and is convenient. Carries the kid, groceries and did well in the snow. No complaints.

Now, as for powertrains...give me a V8. As far as I’m concerned, you can put the battery powered crap where the sun don’t shine and if you want to compete with Wrangler...give me a V8.