cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

Black Friday: 7 of our favorite blacked-out factory models

Automakers from Rolls-Royce to Ram have offered blacked-out versions of all manner of vehicles over the past several years. It seems like you can’t visit a new car showroom without having some sort of special edition model targeting those that despise chrome. Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, and Ram have “Night Edition” models, Chevrolet and Nissan offer models with the slightly more specific “Midnight Edition,” and Honda gets right to the point with its “Black Edition” Ridgeline.

For Black Friday, we wanted to look back to find our favorite blacked-out vehicle options that paved the way for the current trends—love them or hate them­—that we’re witnessing today.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/black-friday-7-of-our-favorite-blacked-out-factory-models/

90 REPLIES 90
sego
Intermediate Driver

The Grand National and the GNX would be my pick. 

Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

You forgot the 1986 Shelby GLHS and Dodge Omni GLH Turbo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8slunBlwg

25aniv
Intermediate Driver

I like 'em all actually. If Kitt could do in real life what it does in Hollywood land it would be a slam dunk! But since we need to live in reality on a daily basis, Grand National would be my pick.

mdk442
Passenger

I believe the 1978 Dodge Midnight Express should of replace the Chevy pickup

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

I considered that one as well as the Warlock!
Swamibob
Advanced Driver

Bring on the Warlock!

Lee
Pit Crew

When my daughters were ready to drive in 2011, I wanted something safe.  We found a low miles 2002 Mercury Sable for $6k.  It was black with grey leather interior and premium stereo, and they loved it.  It was a mini Mercury Marauder and looked like a mafia car.

Soon after, one of my daughters pulled out in front of a pickup and pushed the front end over 2".  Long story short- I rebuilt it and they drove it for 2 years of high school and one of them drove it for 4 year of college and 2 year of grad school.  When the oil pan started leaking I finally decided to sell it, and gave a young family a $700 deal.

In the end I was glad I bought the Sable with it's 5 star safety rating.

ATM
New Driver

These all are nice selections of blacked out cars, but, the one your missing is the highly customized (by George Barrister). It is the infamous 1971 Lincoln Continental Mark lll. It was the coolest.

F360Spider
Intermediate Driver

Living in a place where the sun is extremely hot and weather humid, black cars are uncomfortable and at times, painful. I'd opt for a whited out version instead. On a personal note, I really don't see the desire for blacked out cars. They look like a blank spot. Hardly groovy, at least to me.

1956meteor
Pit Crew

I have a 94 F150 XL short bed. It has the exact same interior as the one in the video. It is still going strong at 27 years old . Parts are getting hard to find. I have been collecting stuff for it as I plan to give it to my son in the future who is also 27 years old. LMC has most of the body panels etc, but in dash connectors, harnesses , switches etc  are no longer available other than junk yards now. 

chriswalker
New Driver

These were all nice cars but they would not be my choice of  cars . The mussel cars in black are bad ass

acooper529
Intermediate Driver

Grand National.

Which of the others do you think will even be remembered in the future?

Murphy88
Navigator

The blacked-out theme is antithetical to a Q-ship. They all scream "Ticket Me" which might too often prove inconvenient. I'll take a discreetly modded long roof over any of these. And forget about the window tint. Nothing going on here, officer.

marten
New Driver

I liked the 1970 Chevy El Camino 454SS all in black.  With the 4 speed tranny, was just about perfect.

FOMOCO1
Passenger

A lot has changed with horsepower available in the past 16/17 years. But with 305 hp, the 03/04 big Merc was one of the "sleepiest" of the sleepers of the day.

MrKnowItAll
Intermediate Driver

Anything built in the later production of 1942 cars

OnScout
Pit Crew

Pretty hard to beat the blacked-out good looks of the Porsche 911 also featured in this edition of the Daily Driver! 👍👍

racerd911
Passenger

GN/GNX here... but what, no Porsche Boxster Black Edition?

Classman
New Driver

Model T and the 454SS

Rider79
Instructor

Not a fan of black cars; too hard to keep clean, every scratch and swirl shows, etc..  That said, of these, I would take the Grand National (although I would prefer a Turbo T-Type in red, silver, or medium blue).  No cheap-looking black wheels, though; wheels need to have some shine, or at least some silver - especially on a black car.

hearsedriver
Intermediate Driver

i don't see (other than the model T) any blacked out models in the photos you present. all have either chrome or polished wheels, or some bright trim. blacked out is all black.

TonyT
Advanced Driver

Maybe it doesn't have enough wheels, but the Vincent Black Shadow looms large...

JVR
Passenger

Conspicuous in its absence is the Lincoln Blackwood.

dreamingeagle
Intermediate Driver

only the GN looks sufficiently sinister;

the rest just look like pre-coats waiting outside the factory paint line;

lschuc
Passenger

Another all black car would be the 20th anniversary 1983 Avanti with all blacked out trim.

jc340
Intermediate Driver

Gotta have a black Dodge Daytona Turbo-Z!

packardboy
New Driver

I'd go with the Grand National, although all black is not my choice, as I prefer the bright colors for collector cars.

Garrett1982
Passenger

No GMC Syclone/Typhoon?

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

That is a good one!
knucklebusted
Intermediate Driver

I'm going with the Buick GN. It more than backed up the black-out treatment.

Historian
Detailer

Love the Chevy truck, but hard to believe that a 454 was only putting out 230 & 255hp!  And they had the audacity to call that an SS!  Looks good though!

WAB
Intermediate Driver

GNX........The Impala SS looked better in either the Maroon or the Dark Grey Green.....it was also supposed to have been built in a gold that never happened.

Smileamile
Pit Crew

I’d be more interested to learn how this whole idea of all black got started. Considering all the possible color combinations, maybe it’s too hard to figure out? All black is a real "turn off" for me...just sayin’.

neilternet
Pit Crew

Black interiors totally turn me off. My living room is not black and my car is my living room when I am driving. Even into the 80s there were numerous color choices for interiors. I have a 1978 Dodge Aspen with a red interior with plaid on the seats and door panels, red carpet and headliner. Fortunately my Charger Scat Pack has red seat faces and door inserts.

Roadsterboy
Pit Crew

I like the JPS Lotus Europa Special from 1973

Davidb
Pit Crew

Severe miscount!  Excellent choice of first three.  Keep in mind that black is the hardest color to present flaw-free.  The truck and next three boats would look awful if one got close enough to enter it.  Black should be outlawed on more than 2 doors.  Obviously a turkey-overload.  

Rob1
Instructor

On the band wagon no doubt in my mind Gimme the Grand National gotta say in black its evil looking but black is a PITA to keep clean 

tahend
Detailer

Had a Grand National and you can't imagine how quick they were until you're in the drivers seat when that turbo spools up and takes off.

stevecobb45
Detailer

I bought a new Grand National in 1987 & although I liked the power, living in the south with a black car proved to be, maybe a HOT choice, but just too hot for comfort. Paint went bad within a year & never got more than 20 MPG, even on trips. The $4700 GN option would have been better spent on a white Regal T-type. But out of these shown, the GN is my pick.

Timbo
Pit Crew

On the Trans Ams, the black paint on the chrome would come off, making it look bad.

Geo_Logic
Passenger

You haven’t listed the first gen Ford Raptor that came in black (as well as other colours). But the black Raptor with black wheels spawned many more copy cat Raptor wannabes from the other big  pickup truck manufacturers. Perhaps the most copied of all blackout vehicles.

930Flachbau
Pit Crew

The "Murdered" look can't die soon enough. Hope it's rightfully placed in the trash bin along with fake "mag-hubcaps", fake disc brake rotors and Antifa.

Maestro1
Detailer

The Chevrolet truck is almost elegant. The Model A is wonderful. Late model Marauders are pretentious Crown Victorias. When I was in New Orleans I drove one of the Chevrolet Impalas in Gray, and it was a very smooth sweet car with similar characteristics to Buick product, which made it a great value but a turn off in its tubby design. Thank you for this.

ChevySS
New Driver

I had a '95 SS Impala (black of course) and it was really a pretty amazing big sedan.  Added headers, 3" full exhaust and low restriction mufflers and K&N filter and will say that it felt like 350 hp more than the 260 rating.  Ultimately I over-did the suspension with too much Hotchkiss stuff and she became quite a buckboard ride for a 'passenger' car.  Never had a mechanical issue though in 200K miles.  Next buy was a new Merc Marauder and boy, what a disappointment compared to the Chevy.  Interior was a big upgrade but the handling was sketchy and the DOHC 4.6 V8 had markedly less performance AND gas mileage.  Only kept it for a year before buying a black CTSV.  Sucker for black sedans I guess.

MarkIII
New Driver

I love black vehicles and have had and still do have plenty of them. One of my main reasons is that black really makes the chrome pop. All blacked out just looks cheap like an unmarked squad or funeral home car. Knock it off already.

Chichirone
Pit Crew

GNX All day long. The 454SS is not far behind but the Grand National remains the OG blacked out hot rod in my view. Yes the Model T could be had in any color as long as it was black, but there is very little hot rod in the Model T without major changes. I also think the GMC Syclone/Typhoon were a miss off this list along with a blacked out 911 with whale tail. Takes me back to the posters on my walls as a kid. Great idea for an article.   

rat70fj
Passenger

'79 VW Scirocco Limited Edition. Later called the S.

Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

Black LOOKS good when it's clean...which isn't very long.  Remember...black isn't a color, it's a career!

AZDon
Pit Crew

GNX!  Save the chrome for bathroom faucets and low riders.