cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Big Oly Bronco bound for auction, could be first-ever million-dollar vintage SUV | Hagerty Media

Even at 87 years old, Parnelli Jones remains a household name to anyone remotely interested in motorsports. Which, of course, is completely understandable for a racer who retired with countless wins and championships on a résumé that includes everything from Midgets, Pikes Peak, NASCAR, Trans-Am, USAC, and over 20 Hall of Fame inductions throughout the sport.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/big-oly-bronco-bound-for-auction-could-be-first-ever-million-doll...
42 REPLIES 42
Todd_Z
Pit Crew

Wow - I totally agree with the assessment on it being a seven-figure vehicle! Such a cool rig and an even cooler owner!
Drew_Peroni
New Driver

An amazing piece of not just Bronco history, or Bronco racing history, but racing history overall as a result of all of the incredible accomplishments PJ achieved.

Does anyone have an extra million or two they can loan me?

This will certainly be interesting to watch!
GRP_Photo
Instructor

You seem like a poor credit risk to me. 🙂
mtnance
Pit Crew

It's a cool vehicle and a great story with lots of history. It may very well bring a lot of bidders to the table. But, to call it a first generation Bronco is a bit of a stretch. Not much about the actual vehicle is still a factory converted Bronco. In reality, the body shape and front nose piece is the only thing that makes it look like a Bronco.
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

Pffffffff...
TonyT
Instructor

The "Baja Boot" and "Big Oly" will always be remembered as the first off-road super trucks. Many of the innovations that those two vehicles were built with are still in use today. And Parnelli Jones will always be a racer's racer!
newhometom
New Driver

Many would argue the “most famous” Bronco was white.
gtokdx1
Pit Crew

After I first saw the email post about "The most famous Bronco", I was glad to see it wasn't the white one. But after seeing and reading about this very cool one, I still think it's a big stretch to compare it to the Bullitt Mustang. I never heard of this vehicle before this article whereas every car enthusiast knew of the Mustang, even if they never saw "the greatest vehicle chase scene of all time"!
Sledogpilot
Intermediate Driver

I’ll take this one over the white one times 100
HistoricAfton
Intermediate Driver

I miss my old 69 Bronco but a white one with the vanity plate IMNOTOJ would be fun.
TomP
Pit Crew

This article might force me to dig out my copy of Gone in Sixty Seconds (the original) to watch this weekend...
Realmongo
Pit Crew

I was so glad to have the opportunity to see this beast in person at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle a couple of years ago. I remember reading articles written on it and the string races it was winning in Hot Rod magazine back in the '70s!
JAG
Intermediate Driver

Great article and it should set a record for "trucks" across the block, but isn't it really a racecar/truck? As innovative and trend setting as Big Oly is not sure it can compare to Bullitt. Yes unparalleled pedigree and history but the mystique of the Bullitt car was the story of chasing it down, learning McQueen tried to buy it back and got ticked off when the guy wouldn't sell it. Most times it's about the chase not the catch.
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

I suspect the fact that the Bullitt Mustang was largely stock adds to the appeal; it's easy to imagine driving it. The Bronco is largely a race car with Bronco sheet metal.
leusgs
Pit Crew

The most famous Bronco is white.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

What if Ford copied 90% of the visuals of this and made it as a 2+2, same proportions and size and made it JUST barely street legal and did away with most other electronics. A decent stereo and old school heat and a/c. Sort of like a base Wrangler with a V-8 and an attitude. Mild 302 and 6 speed manual. It'll never happen but that would be cool.
LamboEd
Intermediate Driver

Like others, when I saw the email saying "most famous Bronco" I could only think of OJ and the white Bronco! And I was thinking somebody is selling it again! I remember when it did go up for auction a while back and it went for more than a regular Bronco, but I don't remember it being an outrageous price. That "chase" down the freeway was something I will never forget, Go OJ, Go! They should have titled the article "most famous racing Bronco" and none of us would have thought of OJ......
Sledogpilot
Intermediate Driver

How cool. Anyone remember the Olympia “Artesians” ads? They were the beer elves that made Oly
Qw
Intermediate Driver

So who do you think you are, Parnelli Jones? Growing up this man was my hero! Many a motorist being pulled over for speeding ,would have this question asked of him ,by the officer in charge.
mikem350
Pit Crew

Or Mario Andretti...
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

"Look at that...we got us a regular Ben-Hur..."
DWI
New Driver

At 20 years old I build a 1964 dodge dart from scratch and entered the Baha 1000. In the pits before the race I went up the this Bronco and was totally blown away by the tube frame, fiberglass body, and banana wing on top. My car lost an engine after 200 miles, Bill Stroppe went out after about 10 miles with a burned up electrical system, Parnelli Jones went on to win in 1972 in grand fashion. Great memory's, excellent article.
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

Did you feel a little bit outclassed?
az57chevy
Pit Crew

Guessing the 7 figures will be a hard reach. Destined to be a garage queen and not sure if the younger generation (with new found riches) will appreciate it, but good luck with the sale
SJ
Advanced Driver

https://silodrome.com/ford-bronco-racing/
I would rather have this one, but I owned a 1971 Bronco Sport (for 16 years)I put a '69 Mach 1 351 Windsor bored out in it.
Maestro1
Instructor

If I remember correctly, age is taking its toll, I saw Parnelli race in either Atlanta or Charlotte 100 years ago. I am not a NASCAR enthusiast, so I don't follow it but surely these folks are in the Hobby like the rest of us. Astounding prices, like everything else. I still think we'll have a correction in the Hobby, so I think it's good strategy to sell it now. Thank you for this.
drhino
Instructor

As pointed out, calling this a Bronco is a bit of a stretch; but folks not knowing about this famous machine (or seriously thinking of the OJ truck when seeing the headline) is amazing to me. Good that people are being educated here! Also— go watch the original “Gone in 60 Seconds”! Actual driving (no special effects BS), amazing footage, terrible acting— and you get to see the real “Eleanor”. Not that fake Shelby atrocity with the add-on body modifications from the remake. Once again, it’s very easy to tell I’m old.
jsfury
Intermediate Driver

Jones and Stroppe. A couple of wild and ka-razy guyyyyys!
zeus01
Pit Crew

Honorable mention goes to Ted Nugent's bad-ass black hunting Bronco. I don't imagine it will be coming up for sale any time soon though.....
markmathes
Pit Crew

John Elway was "The Greatest White Bronco".
Eric2
Intermediate Driver

When they stated the most famous Bronco I thought there was going to be a picture of OJ's white Bronco when I opened up the article? lol
GoFast
Detailer

will require heavy chandelier bidding to reach seven figures.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

Most Famous Bronco ever? I would bet on a plain white Ford Bronco that was involved in a low speed police chase being slightly more famous. This one is cool, but that white one is still known by a lot more people.
jekirkbride
Intermediate Driver

Now, THAT is an SUV! (Not the new Bronco sport)
Padgett
Intermediate Driver

a) Back in the day a Floridian had to bring Oly (always preferred to Coors) back in suitcases. Was popular with a Datsun driver at PBIR.
b) Wasn't Big Oly in the original "Gone in 60 Seconds" ? Would make it a "movie car".
c) More of a SAV - suburban assault vehicle.
Black993
New Driver

I am surprised that the v p Jones Bronco
Shop truck is only at $50k on the
Bring a truck site. Auction ends tomorrow, maybe the future oly sale will push the price up?
Black993
New Driver

Sorry bring a trailer site
kip
Intermediate Driver

Cool and fun vehicle, but just don't get the inflated prices on these older SUVs. Bronco prices are up because Ford just re-released the name, Defender prices are up for the same reason, etc... Give it a year or two and see where this investment ends up.
JedHenson
New Driver

Sadly, Olympia beer just went out of production. Had been around for 125 years. Evel Knievel's beer, I believe. I'm more of a Rainier guy, but I like having the old brands around.
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

I don't know when the last time is that I even thought of Olympia beer, but I did buy a fair amount of it when I was a teenager. "It's the Water," was their slogan. "It's the Water of Beers," was what we used to say when offering one to somebody who hadn't tried it before.
brb
Advanced Driver

I hope it brings a price worthy of the vehicle and its first owner.
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

What does it say about our culture that so many people know about a movie car from the same era yet don't know about the most significant off-road racing car of all time? Especially when you consider that it was driven and owned by a man who was as cool and tough as an actor's fans think the actor to have been. Sad.