cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding war ends with ridiculous price for 1985 Chevy K20

A June 22 sale of a 1985 Chevrolet K20 appears to have set a new record price paid for a 1973–87 Chevrolet/GMC pickup—by a long shot. The meagerly optioned Scottsdale pickup, with just 589 miles on the odometer, fetched $88,725 including dealer premium.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/bidding-war-ends-with-ridiculous-price-for-1985-che...

Replies (13)

Replies (13)

For $40K anyone could buy a perfectly restored, better than new, truck, but they are only original once. 

Intermediate Driver

And when his buddies find out what he paid they'll say something like "you paid what for what??"

Intermediate Driver

I also want to say that with the exception of three of them, the Collection as an asset class is appreciating at 12% a year. 

Intermediate Driver

This is absurd. I never participate in auctions. Why? Because if I win the car at some price I am the only person in the room who thought it was worth that much money. And if the Motoring press relies on auctions as values they are missing several very critical points, which are lust and herd behavior. Both are powerful purchase motivators.My collection is made up of cars I like, not cars that may appreciate in the future. 

Intermediate Driver

I spent five years driving a 1985 G-van with that same motor.  You have to be sentenced by a court to that motor.  It managed to combine lack of power with a tendency to overheat and, ultimately, destroy itself.  There were no redeeming virtues to it at all.  Fuel injection in 1987 saved us all, but I'd never, ever drive a 1985 again. 

New Driver

I would just like to know why these manufactures can't or WON'T build a simple pickup without all the crap you don't really need for a good work truck? Oh wait! Nobody does any work with their fancy over priced pickups. Guess they wouldn't have any buyers. I digress.

New Driver

A California vehicle with no air conditioning?  That would explain the low mileage.

Pit Crew

I had a 1968 Camero that was NOT as rare as this but to MY  son who I spent 12 plus years building Jr for it was very rare and to me who had been paying premiums on it and 6 other vehicles for 6 vehicles Many years to Hagerty was VERY VERY DISSAPOINTED COME CLAIM TIME TO FIND OUT THEY DON’T LIKE TO PAY THEIR CLAIMS TO A CLAIM FREE CUSTOMER MIND YOU , UES ITS A LARGE CLAIM BUT ITS STIKL BEEN ONE OF THE WORST EXPERIENCES IN MY LIFE IVE CANCELED ALL MT INSURANCE WITH HAGERTY AND AFTER 70 PLUS DAYS STILL NO PAYMENT !! I HATE TO OWN THIS TRUCK THE WAY THEY TALK ABOUT IT BEING “ SPECIAL FOR THE HIGH PRICE BASICALLY “ THEN HAVE A CLAIM WITH IT AND TRY RO GET IT PAID AT “ TRUE REPLACEMENT VALUE BY HAGERTY !!   Just BE careful fellow Hagerty customers .. 

JASON HAMLIN 

jasonthevanman@yahoo.com

417-499-4363

ANY QUESTIONS / ANYTIME 

GOD BLESS 

Passenger

If you found a solid, but well worn example, you could easily spend that amount of money (and most likely more) to restore it to perfect original (and not some "Bitchin' Overhauled Graveyardz" restoration) condition.  The buyer did not get a bargain, but got an outstanding vehicle, at least in terms of condition.  The only downside is that part of that value is the extremely low mileage and if the vehicle is driven to any extent, that value will be destroyed.

New Driver

YEP! More money than brains!

Passenger

Owner got his storage outlay over 30 years back, to the nickel! Well done! 

Pit Crew

There’s a sucker born every suction!

New Driver

Lightly optioned, time capsule with a manual— exactly the type of thing I love. Especially with the best performance options. I understand exactly why a bidding war ensued; notwithstanding the the price it eventually attained. 

Intermediate Driver