cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #92: Gates and ladders-all the ways old people kill young enthusiasm | Hagerty Media

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from my father and an anonymous psychiatrist. From Dad I learned that "People do what they want to do, and what they say they want isn't important." From the infamous Internet blogger "The Last Psychiatrist" I learned that "You're not a 'good person' because you have good intentions.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-92-gates-and-ladders-all-t...
357 REPLIES 357
Dave64
New Driver

I think you are going to the wrong shows. I go to the weekly cars and coffee in Columbus Ohio and there’s none of what you are speaking of. Yes there are the cars that I don’t really understand, but those people don’t really understand my car either, but there really isn’t any judgment on who is right or wrong. It is just folks with a common interest getting together and celebrating our hobby. I have been told by a coworker that I need to enter a bunch of judged shows to get a bunch of useless plaques and trophies . I told him I didn’t want to and he thought I was crazy. I asked what he did with the trophies when he sold the car and he said he threw most of them out. I guess I don’t see the point of that.
Jack_Hagerty

I hear what you're saying, but maybe, just maybe, the answer is to fix the "bad" shows instead of letting the hobby dwindle to Cars-and-Coffee?
ToddLP
New Driver

I don't know anyone is the classic car community I am around that acts this way.
Patl
Intermediate Driver

I’ve been trying to figure out who and what type of person the columnist and commentators are referring to. I realized today that it can’t be me, because I have a friend, that is young enough to race LMP3. With some sort of ratty Asian bosozoku car that is, diesel powered A/T, with hellaflush stance and roll-up windows. That this person drifts! I also know that this person at a car show would be too stupid to judge my car. 

hirvine
New Driver

The article was entertaining, as are the comments - both positive and negative. Probably good for me to be reminded to be kind to all regardless of "genre".

As an example of the author's point, I am surprised by the anger on chats directed at folks who are trying to keep an old car running (on a budget) by trying to make simple mods. I am an old guy with money and time, and can do what needs to be done to keep an old car original and still be able to use it (mostly). But others aren't and can't. If the acceptable standard is 100% authenticity, a lot of our automotive legacy is going to end up in the crusher.
TheAutoBarn
New Driver

Guilty as charged. We definitely need to do our part if we want the car culture we know and love to continue.
MaineYankee
New Driver

I found this spot on. At 70 I am fond of reminiscing about the cars I did own, back in the 1960s and 1970s and the junkyards that I pulled them from filled with classics dating from the 1920s to the 1940s. Youngsters haven't a clue about that stuff. And I don't have a clue about what is available to them nowadays because I REFUSE TO LISTEN... and now I recognize and acknowledge that. Next time I see a souped up egg-shaped four-cylinder plastic bubble masquerading as an automobile, I'll admire it and tell the kid I realize that he's creating memories.
SamAdamsPaleAle
Advanced Driver

I can almost guarantee I'm the youngest car guy on this forum, so I'll weigh in. The last car show I've been to was a meet outside of New York City. I saw a guy roll up in what looked like the Sebring 67' MGB GT, so I walk up and asked him about the car. We had a small conversation, and my greatest take away was how surprised the owner was that I knew what the car was, and the livery on it no less. I remember back in October of 2019, I was fortunate enough to visit the Galpin collection. My father, Chuck(the man working) and I talked for a little bit. The Shelby Cobra came up and Chuck decided to hit me with a curve ball. He asked me what the 260 was based off of. Now, I'm still surprised I was able to get it correct, but I said it based off the Fairlane 221 V8. 

To say this guys mind was blown would be the understatement of the century. He looked genuinely surprised, and thats a memory that's been hard pressed into my brain. So why do I mention this? 

For the most part, I haven't been gatekept from the hobby. Most of the old farts are happy a 14 year old with a smile wants to talk about their 1/300,000 made on a Tuesday in October 1969 Charger with some "rare options". 

I'm not saying I haven't been discouraged. I remember back at Chevy Nationals, the owners of this beautiful 64' Corvair were pretty rude to me when I tried to strike up a conversation. And I have been given the stink eye at a few meets, especially from Porsche guys. But, that's alright. I'm not offended, nor could I give any less of a sh!t. 

HOWEVER, I'm not surprised the very elitist and down right cultist attitude the car community has come back to bite itself in the arse. Not to mention that no teenager slaving away at McDonalds(Hey das me) can afford or maintain an old car.