cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #88: It was easy to love exotics when we didn't know who was driving them | Hagerty Media

"No man is a hero to his valet." This proverb is older than its most common attribution and is likely as old as the profession of valet itself. It should go without saying that I'm speaking here of "valet" in the traditional sense, that of gentleman's assistant; the equivalent profession in the military was long known as "batman", after a long-obsolete usage of "bat" to mean "pack" or "luggage".
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-88-it-was-easy-to-love-exo...
21 REPLIES 21
Intermediate Driver

I knew a guy who had more than twenty Lamborghinis and Maseratis about thirty years ago. He also had a number of Ferraris, which were obscenely valuable thanks to the timely mortality of Enzo. There were also rows of Iso Rivoltas, Bizarrinis, Toyota 2000GTs, and AMC AMXs, although hoarding the two-seat Javelins probably never paid off. Most of the cars had been produced in the '60s and early '70s, which means that today, or at least during a very-recent yesterday, they would be as valuable as eternal youth.

The weird thing about all the Muiras and Ghiblis, with their lounge-lizard color schemes and interiors, was that they were as used-up and spit-out as fifteen to twenty-five year old cars have ever been. They were Greyhound Bus Station ashtrays on flat tires, and the easiest way to fix them was the period 'over-restoration.' The idea that they should be put back to the state that disintegrated in eight thousand miles didn't dawn on anyone until modern monetary policy made fiscal responsibility a greater crime than child sex trafficking. The guy that owned them all is now a fascist in all but self-identification. He's moved on from EV-grant-leeching to COVID profiteering, and I suspect he isn't documenting his wealth these days, although he loved a good lifestyle feature when the people giving him money were volunteers.
Pit Crew

Maybe I'm off but I liked Ford vs. Ferrari. A good story (yeah I know it's not 100% accurate) with great sound and visuals. The sound alone was great in my home theater. It was fun to watch.

As for exotics and who is driving them, yeah I kind of know what you mean. Honestly meeting some of the people and seeing dozens of the same Lambo or Ferrari can make the sight of one oddly boring. Here in the Austin area we have tons of exotics. The younger ones tend to not be too friendly and only talk to their "monied" friends and at times seem like the only reason they have the car is to get hits on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. F/T/I is honestly the worst thing about car meets these days. It seems to lead to too many show offs who do stupid, reckless things in whatever vehicle they have so they can be "famous" or "infamous" on the inter-webs. Then there is the crowds that show up for this kind of stuff so they can get hits on their F/T/I page and it's a viscous cycle till the meet gets canned or you get sick of it and stop going. Honestly running into a rare exotic, sports car or anything else is more interesting than a dozen of the same car in a row. When I realized one day that Lamborghini's and other cars like it bored me I started to avoid those meets just so spotting one could be a treat again.