cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #88: It was easy to love exotics when we didn't know who was driving them | Hagerty Media

"No man is a hero to his valet." This proverb is older than its most common attribution and is likely as old as the profession of valet itself. It should go without saying that I'm speaking here of "valet" in the traditional sense, that of gentleman's assistant; the equivalent profession in the military was long known as "batman", after a long-obsolete usage of "bat" to mean "pack" or "luggage".
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-88-it-was-easy-to-love-exo...
21 REPLIES 21
Pit Crew

Loved the Nomi and Zack reference.
Pit Crew

I wasn’t aware of the silly antics of exotic car drivers shared on social media. Because I don’t use social media. Works great. I don’t have to waste time on idiocy and I still get to like exotic cars. You might give it a try.

By the way, as far as I can tell, the main function of valets is to turn the light switch on your car from “auto” to “off.” Which is why leaving a well lit restaurant is followed by oncoming drivers flashing their lights at you. Or if the valet is more thoughtful, turning the light switch from “auto” to “off” when they park and then to “on” when they trade you your car back for cash, which is why when you leave the car in the garage on your return from the restaurant the lights don’t turn themselves off 30 seconds later but instead stay on all night so that the car won’t start at 5am the next morning when you thought you were leaving for a ski trip. I’m sure we’ve all been there, right?
New Driver

Porsche 965 was a development car, you know... not a production model. There's your pedantic comment for the day.

Fair enough, but the car that is NOT a 965 just happens to be chock full of parts that say "965" on them 🙂
Pit Crew

Oy, Ford v. Ferrari was the worrrrrrrrrrst....! If I had to watch another close up of a throttle pedal with yet another half-inch of travel - kill me. And everyone knows a racing driver MUST drive like a malicious tool around town! I wanted to watch McQueen’s Lemans as a corrective, but it is impossible to find - I made do with some Victory by Design.
Pit Crew

You must be close to my age (52). Everything in this piece rang true to me and reminded me what a strange time we live in (referencing the social media aspect of it).
Pit Crew

Quite a few thoughts came flooding in as I read this piece. One: the day many years ago when I suddenly realized that they would sell exotic cars to anyone who could come up with the money. Two: The first Countach I saw up close and realized what a piece of crap it was. Three: That the difference between the old exotics and the new (hyper-performance and hyper-driver-assisted) exotics is that when the driver runs out of talent in the new ones, he's going a whole lot faster than he was in the old ones, so the crash is much more spectacular.

Guilty as charged, I'm 49.
New Driver

"... due to economic circumstances which have... allowed an unprecedented concentration of personal wealth."

I'm not so sure about that. In the late 1800s, when a flood of immigrants here simultaneous with the move from farms to cities combined to depress the relative cost of labor, conspicuous consumption was mansions and private rail cars. Today, the labor supply depressing the cost is overseas, and the rich choose to jet all over the world and drive Ferraris. Seems to me nothing is new.