cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #87: How to lie about pickups, using this one weird pic! | Hagerty Media

Here's the great thing about automotive enthusiasm: it's a big tent, with room for everyone from Brass Era restorers to the fellows who rip Hellcat burnouts through downtown Atlanta.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-87-how-to-lie-about-pickup...
22 REPLIES 22
Intermediate Driver

Misery loves company.
Intermediate Driver

Once more, I am in awe of your insight and facility (both meanings) to state it. I especially like your reference to people for whom Everything is Political. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was merely a cute juxtaposition with, perhaps, a soupcon of social commentary. I suppose if you squint it could have other dimensions, but really, some people need to get a life.
Pit Crew

Great article, well written!
Pit Crew

At the risk of coming-off superior, I offer my (inferior) experience. You have skillfully avoided associated cultural aspects of large off-road trucks like 10K watt headlamps, exposed tire treads and "rolling coal".
We own 10 acres 8 and 17 miles from the nearest Big Box towns. A little over a year ago (in retirement) I assessed our daily drivers . Infiniti SUV, Acura AWD TL, a 4X4 pick-up and a Kubota. I realized we were heavy on utility and light on entertainment. (Four project cars are not in this assessment) The Acura went to Craigslist and an ebay post provided a Jaguar XKR coupe.
The snow/salt of Wisconsin is not depreciating the Jag; the sequester costs $80/mo. That leaves the truck as more than occasional during the winter, and it does a great job; I prefer it to the SUV. The truck has hauled car projects home from Athens, Ashville and Ohio, but a disassembled Ferrari replica in San Antonio required a 28 ft enclosed trailer and 3/4 ton Dodge. Bigger was better but DEF in the middle of the night @ $22/jug is a PIA.
The "Extremely Pick-up" types look down their noses and hoods at me; a relative pizz ant.
What does my truck deliver?
Suicide doors to a back seat with no leg room, but accommodates 80% of what I haul.
Completely analog and ergonomic, with comfort that surpasses the rental cars I encounter.
Climbs my 8% grade, 600ft driveway in winter.
Pulled a car and trailer up and down a 1/2 mile gravel mountain goat path in Appalachia.
Payload 1477lb and tows 7000lb. What fractional equivalent is that?
My wife is completely comfortable driving it, even in a skirt and heels.
It is a Series I Toyota Tundra, my second, the first was crushed by an oak tree at 270K miles.
Ironically the latest "mid size" Colorado/Canyon have identical specifications, except that I have a V8. The days-to-sale of used Tundras is short, and haggling is limited. IMHO "bigger" is more of a statement than a practical requirement.

Intermediate Driver

Well said Jack. The current "I deserve" culture has replaced the "I will earn" ethic we should have taught our kids.
And then we gave everybody a soapbox and a cellphone.

Or maybe we are just officially out of real problems....?!
Pit Crew

" It’s true that Americans, in general, are buying more capacity in vehicles now than they did twenty or forty years ago, but this is probably a Good Thing. It’s a function of increased automotive longevity and lower running costs." And let's not forget those handy 8-year mortgage terms. Americans are buying bigger than they need and more than they can afford. It's Not Good. I don't care about big pickups and I am 100% behind the vastly improved efficiency, brought on let's not forget by those pesky gummint folks. But please people, stop buying huge pickups just so you get enough room for the family. There are better, FUNNER ways to haul them.
Pit Crew

I am 100% behind the vastly improved efficiency, brought on let's not forget by those pesky gummint folks. 

Not a single technology that has improved fuel mileage has been the product of government. Cars and trucks are more efficient today because of clever engineers in the private sector, not administrative state bureaucrats. Besides, I believe a persuasive argument can be made that it was market forces, the increased cost of fuel post 1973 and 1979 oil embargos, that pushed the car companies to improve fuel economy more than government mandates.

Pit Crew

It looks as if the photo was shot w a telephoto lense which would flatten the subjects and make anything behind the Tacoma look both closer and larger. Knowing how to photograph a vehicle can make it look anyway you want it too...
New Driver

I agree with the overall point that we ought to be able to drive what we want. Where I'm concerned and confused has to do with two or more things. I'm sure that plenty of people choose trucks instead of cars because of the EPA and federal government rules that allow trucks to get lower fuel mileage and to pollute more than if they were comparably sized cars. Lots of people are driving the family station wagon from the 60s thru the 90s, in the form of a truck. My daughter just bought a 2021 Suburban LS 2wd, with the max trailering package. It's rated to tow 8300 pounds and it seats 9 people. She is using it to replace her 2007 Odyssey. The Suburban tows our 6900 pound Boat with ease. Yet so would a 1975 Pontiac Grand Safari properly equipped.

I'm 5'5" tall. I can't reach the dipstick in the Suburban without the use of a step ladder. With the headlights on low beam, many oncoming cars flash their high beams at us because they think the Suburban lights are on high beam. When I drive my 2000 trans am, I am constantly blinded by oncoming trucks and SUVs with their headlights on low beam.
The hoods on newer trucks are too darned high. Last time my buddy and I went to the new car show, I sat in a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado and asked my buddy to walk away from the front of the truck until I could first see his feet. I got out and paced off the distance. He was 72 feet in front of the truck. A 2007 Silverado 1500's hood is approximately a foot lower than a 2018's hood. Why is this? Sure new trucks are more efficient than old trucks. What isn't? Just imagine how efficient they'd be with lower hoodlines.

Seems like it's some kind of crazy fashion statement. And from a visibility standpoint, a dangerous fashion statement. People in cars can't see over the hood of the truck next to them at intersections. It's just crazy, in my opinion. I've heard enough jokes about the reason I drive a trans am. I don't know why I don't hear similar jokes about men in tall pick up trucks.
Pit Crew

Need/want doesn’t just apply to the automotive world. I NEED what I carry at work so I have one. Others WANT one for varied reasons but there are those out in the political world who oppose that WANT.
We need to be careful where we stand on all need/want topics, not just in the automotive realm.
Not meant politically, just an observation of a potentially slippery slope.