cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #81: Won't someone think of THE ENVIRONMENT? ’Cause I'm not gonna do it

I'm a big fan of hypocrisy. No, really. Neal Stephenson did a pretty good of summarizing my thoughts on the matter in his novel The Diamond Age, like so:

"That we occasionally violate our own stated moral code," Major Napier said, working it through, "does not imply that we are insincere in espousing that code." "Of course not," Finkle-McGraw said. "It's perfectly obvious, really. No one ever said that it was easy to hew to a strict code of conduct. Really, the difficulties involved—the missteps we make along the way—are what make it interesting. The internal, and eternal, struggle, between our base impulses and the rigorous demands of our own moral system is quintessentially human. It is how we conduct ourselves in that struggle that determines how we may in time be judged by a higher power."

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-81-wont-someone-think-of-t...

31 REPLIES 31
Instructor

In a world of Al Gore leaving his swimming pool heater on even when he was in Europe (on important environmental business no doubt) to the tune of a $30k utility bill for at least one year, it'll always be shooting fish in a barrel to attack eco-hypocrites. That said, Mr. Baruth hit it out of the park. Just because they may pitch to you underhand, doesn't automatically mean you'll crush it. Well done, sir.

Pit Crew

It is imaginative to think any liberal eco-snobs have the faintest idea what a TRX is, but you know your audience. 

Intermediate Driver

* As far as they’re concerned, this sort of monkey business is okay for some people but not for others.*

Bingo!

New Driver

I've always been amazed by people driving Prius and bragging about "green credentials", while driving that Prius 100 miles a day for business and pleasure. Because he likes to live 50 miles away from his job, that is nicer than a job he could get close to home... 

From CO2 emissions perspective (no, I do not like all the snow melting away), "green" is a guy who buys Anything Hellcat and walks to work. Hellcat awaits weekend or, very occasional, business trip. Like my old, horribly inefficient "sport sedan" with high-revving atmo engine.

Passenger

I agree with a lot of your points, but disagree with the overall thrust and personalization of it. In the latest poll, 75% of voters (All voters - D's and R's, young and old, etc) were concerned if not alarmed about climate change. 

The issue with personal greenhouse gas emissions is that they affect everyone else in addition to that person.  One of the answers is not to ban any type of automobile, but to increase fuel efficiency standards - and for those who want to buy something that is less efficient, have a carbon fee that kicks in. Then everyone is happy.  

I am also happy to talk about the relationship between climate and electric vehicles if anyone is interested.

A Concerned Parent and Grandparent

Pit Crew

I wouldn't mind the big jack-up pickups so much if they weren't so often driven by a bunch of mindless jackasses.  Just fwiw, I have a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 with a 454.  It's a Big pickup.  I use it As a big pickup to haul and tow large loads.  I drive it sensibly with due regard for the other drivers that share the roads we all use.  It's not a symbol of my manliness, or a sign of rebellion against authority. It's just a big pickup.  Nothing more.  When it's not being used for what it is designed, I have other more sensible vehicles for those purposes.

Intermediate Driver

Well said. One of the casualties of our modern Age Of Hysteria is the concept of Perspective. It's been replaced by Virtue Signalling, which is comprised largely of arrogance and ignorance, and perspective as well.

Intermediate Driver

Jack, Jack, Jack....  (Fine sound of wooden bat striking baseball); It's going, going, GONE!....  See you later it's a Tater!  

Excellent column.  I agree, envy is a large driving force for a lot of the busy body mentality we see in the world today.  It's not just a marketing firm telling me "how white my shirts could be, but he can't be a man 'cuz he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me...".  These people take it as gospel and if you don't do what they say is 'the right thing to do' they will cancel you. 

These people don't believe in Freedom of the individual.  Freedom:  As in, what is guaranteed in the founding documents of the United States of America.  If you don't tow the line; whether that line has changed 180 degrees in the last 30 minutes, days or even years;  (Remember when Global cooling was going to usher in a new Ice Age in less than 50 years?) if you don't tow the line now, today; then you are the problem.  

I'm not even talking larger points here, it's happening all over, everywhere.  I drive old cars, all Summer long.  They are well maintained; don't pollute and get reasonable mileage.  Most people smile, wave and some even say "great car" to them, when I'm out and about.  They do get a lot of love.

But I have, on several occasions, been grumbled at, given the stink eye, and even, a couple times, been given the side ways comment about driving the OLD emissions spewing gas guzzlers, by people driving Large SUV's.  I just shrug that off and remember how many tons of material I have recycled in my life and how much less of a 'carbon footprint' my old cars have than someone's new SUV.  

Carbon is another interesting thing.  Carbon is what life is based on.  Without carbon, trees and all other green life (the very life that gives us the oxygen we breathe) can't live.  But, we're told, if you pay a tax, Oops, pardon me, if you purchase a 'Carbon Credit' then your carbon emissions won't matter.   I must have taken the wrong Logic classes or read the wrong books, because that doesn't make any sense to me, but that thinking is a large part of the Climate change religion; apologies, 'Dogma' is a better word there.  

So, I can own and use private planes, have huge houses, grounds, fleets of gas guzzling vehicles, power enormous boats, concert venues, factories, be the poster child of conspicuous consumption, and that's not a problem as long as I pay the carbon tax to the right people?  Huh...  "Hypocrisy":  That was another excellent word choice, Jack.  Love your writing.

New Driver

What is the point of this missive?  If you don't like what they say or how they think, don't read their articles.  Who cares if you agree with them (or vice versa)?  Life is too short to get so upset about this kind of thing.