cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #70: Stuck in the middle (of a desert) with you

The story so far: The author and his 11-year-old son drove to California from Ohio, ending at the Donner Pass. This is normally where the tale ends, whether it’s Pirsig or Simpson or Krakauer … or Alex Roy, whose infamous The Driver rather touchingly concludes by addressing both the issue of traveling West with expectation and the notion of reconnecting with a difficult or distant father. East to West. You never read about anyone coming back East. It would be like ending “Star Wars” by showing everyone lining up for the men’s room after that wonderful ceremony where John Williams has his orchestra playing in some kind of hidden pit and Chewie doesn’t get a medal ...

Read the full column at Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact-70-stuck-in-the-middle-of-a-desert-with-you/

13 REPLIES 13
Joe
Hagerty Employee
Hagerty Employee

“When. Are. You. Going. To. Learn. To. Respect. The. Desert?” she asked. 

Such a smart woman.

Brad
Hagerty Employee

We do a lot of driving on the sand out here by the Atlantic Ocean, and airing down the tires is a big part of a successful adventure in a stock four wheel drive. Next time try dropping those tires down to 10 pounds, and that can give you a lot more squish to move through the sand. You were also contending with some pretty thin sidewalls on that wheel and tire combo, though! Great adventure, Jack- fun read and good luck to your son. 

CJinSD
Instructor

This was my first thought as well. Relying on nannies is definitely not the way to avoid getting stuck in the sand. I also don't agree that a 5.7 Ram pickup feels any more powerful than a 5.7 Toyota pickup, although it will use much less fuel since it will only last half as long.

spoom
Technician

Can't you find employment with a bicycle magazine? Enough of the bicycle stories on Hagerty, please. I don't come here for the Great American novel, and if I did it wouldn't be another bicycle story, anyway.

Jack_Hagerty

We're publishing about 75 stories a week, give or take. Three of those are longform columns; that's four percent of the content. One of those had bicycles in it: that's 1.333333(and so on)% percent of the content. That doesn't seem like much.

With that said, I appreciate loyal readers more than I can express. If you are reading every story we publish and this bicycle one sticks in your craw, I want to assure you that I won't repeat that mistake... after next week. You'll definitely want to skip next week's column. The week after, I'll be talking about the challenges of finding a good Hayabusa engine for my Radical. If that feels like motorcycle content to you (probably not wanted) or sports prototype content (can't really take those to a show-and-shine) then you'll want to skip that one too. For the week after... I'm going to let you pick the content. Give me a topic in a reply below and I'll make that the subject of the column. I value each and every reader!

spoom
Technician

Cutting through the rest, my opinion is if a particular writer repeatedly insists on offerings that highlight bicycle riding in their columns, perhaps they could be writing for someone other than an automotive insurance company's entertainment section. I'm sure others of the readership will have their own opinions, but would hardly be upset if dropping the bicycling would result in about 74 stories a week, give or take. Mr. Baruth is a very talented writer and I've enjoyed some of his articles very much, but my opinion would be the same if it were a constant diversion to stories on religion or pigeon racing. 😉

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

I’m with you Spoom. Seems like the predominant subject in Mr Baruth’s articles is himself. And Jack, bicycles do seem to come up in HIS writings way more than 1.3 %. I think it’s just what he knows best.
But regardless, it’s “avoidable contact”. My solution is to just skip over them. Gives me way more time to enjoy the others.

Bmike
Detailer

A 528e shout out!  Still operate an '88 528e (with a chipped e2i conversion).  Good A/C, leather, nice stereo, and a trunk large enough for 2 gumbas.  What more do you need?  Btw, nice travelogue.  The kid got lucky in the dad department.

Jack_Hagerty

I worked for David Hobbs BMW right when the 528e gave way to the 525i. The E28 was the default vehicle of the Muirfield Village subdivision and I still smile when I see them today!

win59
Advanced Driver

Thanks Jack! Good stuff. A lot of us like the Real Thing.

lweb19
Hagerty Employee

I will likely have have to steal that line about wanting to sit in the recliner and stare at the wall for a while. Thanks!

Baileydog15
Passenger

What a beautiful ending, Jack. Makes me want to take my son on a road trip. Lately we've just been playing wiffle ball in the back yard and then watching the Phillies on TV, but I'd love to take him out on the open road and experience adventures like that. To your comment about the load height of the truck bed, it confirms my opinion that my 2006 extended-cab Dakota is just the right size for a practical pickup bed...

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

Edit