cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoidable Contact #67: Having built some Blazers, I want to make a Bronco

As I write this, Ford is dealing with a very serious problem: the number of people trying to put deposits down on a 2021 Bronco has actually crashed their website. That's right: in the middle of a global pandemic and some of the worst (albeit likely temporary) economic news since the Carter era, there are thousands upon thousands of people trying to give Ford money for a vehicle they won't be able to drive until the middle of 2021, at least. Many of them didn't even bother to take a run at the configurator before putting a deposit down. They saw the vehicle, they saw some basic information about the powertrain and options, and they took out their credit cards. Take that, Tesla!

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact-67-having-built-some-blazers-i-want-to-make-...

Replies (15)

Replies (15)

The writing quality is such a joy to experience - mixing nuanced information into a pleasurable read.

Jack Baruth's piece has a gem on every line.

I would Pay for the articles I see in this blog.

For now I will Praise what Hagerty is and does.

For the Car Guy,

Thanks

Blake Lawmax,  San Diego

New Driver

I agree that the business case for the Bronco wasn't an easy one like the one for the new Chevy Blazer. But it's a bit tighter than you'd think. Ford got a taste of how good modern off-road money can be when they saw their dealers charge over MSRP for every new Raptor for the entire first generation, and the first few years of the second generation. Then they looked at the money the Wrangler prints for FCA, and then at Toyota, who has sold more 4Runners over the past few years than they did during the first SUV boom of the 1990s. The development costs can be better amortized since the Bronco is sharing a platform with the next-gen Ranger instead of having a bespoke platform like the Wrangler, or Mazda Miata does. Finally, the Bronco was a truck, not a car, so Jim Hackett didn't cancel it on sight because he needs trucks to fund a golden parachute electric mobility solutions powered by AI and blockchain.

Intermediate Driver

I hate bland boring cars... Until they are 20+ years old and almost extinct and some oddball one in weird colours (i.e., 90s teal Ford Tempo) comes up in decent if not creampuff shape  --then I want it. Or am at least amused by the idea of wanting it.

"Bronco it" --sure why not? The style of cars is mostly fascia anyways, the cost is in the platforms. Why GM doesn't drop a Firebird body (even for a few years then drop a refreshed Camaro body back on it) on the current Camaro platform (for example) continues to boggle me.

As far as Hagerty Media: The magazine is one of the best, certainly the most consistently great wide-interest (not just one make of car) magazines out there now. More long-form in the magazine is a great idea. That is to say, the magazine being lots of the content you don't find in little tidbits all over the internet.

I think the forum-base is still adjusting to the change as many articles/etc. that should be getting lots of comments are getting few to none. I'm not sure what to suggest on this except people reading this: you can post too!

Detailer

Hagerty is quickly becoming the go to magazine and website.  Whether it all really interests me or not, I seem to always find something worthwhile in everything I do read.  And the writing staff, I have to think other magazines are starting to worry............

New Driver

I hope the new direction includes a bit more editing of the articles by humans, not spell checkers.  The number of typos, missing words, and misuse of homonyms across the articles (not yours, of course) is shameful, if you have any sort of aspiration to professionality.

Intermediate Driver

I agree with the comparison between the new blazer and a dishwasher.  Its  dead on.  The problem with the new bronco sport is a simple one.  For the 2-door to really make a big sales impact, the price has to come down.  It has the charm and the size (not accounting for the motor sizes) to sell really well.  The 4-door can be justified in many ways  and can sell itself, but the little guy is a retro toy purchase.  Plain and simple.  With the base price where it is and most will get all sorts of ad-ons;  factory and dealer wise.  The price will end up in the 40k range.  We have all seen  great vehicles get killed by pricing.  Price is everything on a non-essential vehicle like this.   And I think the sport is headed for low sales because of it.    Too bad.  Its a sweet looking retro ride.  Hope it does well though because outside the box thinking is risky!

Pit Crew

You guys are crushing it! I’m a recent subscriber and it’s the first automotive website I look for news and updates. Your articles make me open up a million tabs and go down rabbit holes I didn’t know I needed to go down.

New Driver

Your article is great.  Such a relief from the boredom of vanilla car reviews.  I also love the comments you generate from the readers.  There are some really talented writers of these comments.  Your articles are kinda like an upside down pyramid or a domino cascade, starts small and grows. 

And as for your verbiage, I like it.  But you must realize that I never understood why my 8th grade English teacher tried to diagram a sentence.  What's that got to do with speaking. 

PS   Spell check was and is the best invention ever for me. 

Navigator

I have no interest in this segment. And automotive styling these days is the worst it's ever been. Not just ugly, but boringly ugly, like dried up mud. It's no wonder most people have no passion for cars and driving. All those orders for the Bronco? People are falling in love again. 

Intermediate Driver

An excellent article Jack! We think the same way it seems... bmx and all. 😄 The new Blazer missed the mark with Gearheads which was disappointing, but clearly Chevy made the gamble and seems to have lost even though it's not a bad looking vehicle for the blandest vehicle segment...

The Bronco on the other hand has massive investment and research and they released a near perfect lineup. Plenty of selections to start with and the room to add models if warranted. As for engine choices, I think they've done a great job on the full size Bronco as those engines are very good (I currently have a rental 2020 F150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost and it is a very eager motor!) and with both engines available across the range it was definitely a welcome change to the usual limitations. The only point I think that Ford really missed is on the Bronco Sport where you can't get the 2.0 EcoBoost as an option on the lower end models, as that would make it a pretty attractive daily driver for commutes and weekend fun without breaking the bank.

Pit Crew

I predict the two-door Bronco will be a flash in the pan at best. There's a Land Rover Evoque convertible in my parking lot, or at least there was until very recently. That's the only two-door Evoque I've seen since 2015, although the two-door was the distinctive one that all of the introduction promotion focused on. I'm not sure I've seen a two-door version of the current Wrangler, although the Gladiator is already ubiquitous and the Unlimited seems to come with one's fifth tattoo at all the local ink parlors. 

I'm disappointed that people are trying to buy Broncos while Ford is trying to bring about censorship of conservative voices on social media platforms. That's about as un-American as a corporation can get, although it is consistent with decades of Ford Foundation conduct. 

When you write that, "we’re going to give a voice to some fairly controversial people and see what happens," I sincerely hope you realize that there is nothing controversial about social justice, inclusivity that is really exclusivity, or the deafening ubiquity of 'alternative' voices. 

Intermediate Driver

the australian GTO was hot rods magazines doing... they wrote the original article this is the v8 coupe americans cant have, behind the scenes hand shaking and the car appeared: no one bought the chevy SS (holden commodore) so the next GTO concept went away along with pontiac.

now as for the bronco... its built on the ford ranger platform. there is already a privately built ranger in australia built with a coyote V8 and it all just fits. and prodrive were set up to build them for ford under licence then the virus happened.

New Driver

Keeping my 06 Jeep wrangler for now.

Pit Crew

Let’s go!

New Driver

When Ford quit building the small Bronco, like the one Bill Stropp ran in Baha, a legend came to a close.  Who in their right mind would want a full size Bronco?  Full size like the trucks that is.  The original Bronco gave Jeep a run for their money as well as other brands.  I'm going to the web site to see if this new Bronco will stand up to its origin!

New Driver