cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #67: Having built some Blazers, I want to make a Bronco

As I write this, Ford is dealing with a very serious problem: the number of people trying to put deposits down on a 2021 Bronco has actually crashed their website. That's right: in the middle of a global pandemic and some of the worst (albeit likely temporary) economic news since the Carter era, there are thousands upon thousands of people trying to give Ford money for a vehicle they won't be able to drive until the middle of 2021, at least. Many of them didn't even bother to take a run at the configurator before putting a deposit down. They saw the vehicle, they saw some basic information about the powertrain and options, and they took out their credit cards. Take that, Tesla!

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact-67-having-built-some-blazers-i-want-to-make-...

20 REPLIES 20
Pit Crew

The writing quality is such a joy to experience - mixing nuanced information into a pleasurable read.

Jack Baruth's piece has a gem on every line.

I would Pay for the articles I see in this blog.

For now I will Praise what Hagerty is and does.

For the Car Guy,

Thanks

Blake Lawmax,  San Diego

New Driver

I suspect that Fords ownership of Land Rover might have taught them a few things.  I’m a huge fan of the Bronco because it looks like the real heir apparent to the tremendously love Land Rover Defender 90/110.  It looks like it may exceed even Land Rover’s efforts.  I’ve always loved Jeeps, but they are poorly made, extremely noisy and non-functional for most things.  However, Jeeps look cool, are the only 5 seat convertible for sale in the US, are adored by teenagers and twenty somethings, have unsurpassed off-road credentials and allow limitless customization.  Ford has bested both FCA and LR, if they watch pricing, build reliable trucks and keep accessories and off road cache in focus.

New Driver

the australian GTO was hot rods magazines doing... they wrote the original article this is the v8 coupe americans cant have, behind the scenes hand shaking and the car appeared: no one bought the chevy SS (holden commodore) so the next GTO concept went away along with pontiac.

now as for the bronco... its built on the ford ranger platform. there is already a privately built ranger in australia built with a coyote V8 and it all just fits. and prodrive were set up to build them for ford under licence then the virus happened.

Intermediate Driver

I agree with the comparison between the new blazer and a dishwasher.  Its  dead on.  The problem with the new bronco sport is a simple one.  For the 2-door to really make a big sales impact, the price has to come down.  It has the charm and the size (not accounting for the motor sizes) to sell really well.  The 4-door can be justified in many ways  and can sell itself, but the little guy is a retro toy purchase.  Plain and simple.  With the base price where it is and most will get all sorts of ad-ons;  factory and dealer wise.  The price will end up in the 40k range.  We have all seen  great vehicles get killed by pricing.  Price is everything on a non-essential vehicle like this.   And I think the sport is headed for low sales because of it.    Too bad.  Its a sweet looking retro ride.  Hope it does well though because outside the box thinking is risky!

Intermediate Driver

I have no interest in this segment. And automotive styling these days is the worst it's ever been. Not just ugly, but boringly ugly, like dried up mud. It's no wonder most people have no passion for cars and driving. All those orders for the Bronco? People are falling in love again. 

Intermediate Driver

I hope the new direction includes a bit more editing of the articles by humans, not spell checkers.  The number of typos, missing words, and misuse of homonyms across the articles (not yours, of course) is shameful, if you have any sort of aspiration to professionality.

Pit Crew

Hagerty is quickly becoming the go to magazine and website.  Whether it all really interests me or not, I seem to always find something worthwhile in everything I do read.  And the writing staff, I have to think other magazines are starting to worry............

Community Manager

That's very good to hear, let me tell you! 

New Driver

Your article is great.  Such a relief from the boredom of vanilla car reviews.  I also love the comments you generate from the readers.  There are some really talented writers of these comments.  Your articles are kinda like an upside down pyramid or a domino cascade, starts small and grows. 

And as for your verbiage, I like it.  But you must realize that I never understood why my 8th grade English teacher tried to diagram a sentence.  What's that got to do with speaking. 

PS   Spell check was and is the best invention ever for me. 

I have a great group of young writers who are learning as they go. I ask them to work very fast and cover a lot of ground. Over time they will season in and get better. I'd rather let them make a few mistakes then dog their every step with close criticism. With that said, everything you mentioned is important, worthwhile, and on my list of priorities.