cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoidable Contact #65: In defense of premarital, even teenaged, SX

They say that when you adjust for inflation, $4200 in 1988 is something like $9200 now. But it's more than that. My father was a patient and conservative investor. Putting $4200 in the S&P back in 1988 would yield 50 grand today. He was also smart enough to hop in on some tech stocks before it was too late.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-65-in-defense-of-premarita...

View Entire Topic

Great tale. I had a very similar story: in 1987 my Dad and I bought a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z.  I had saved up $2200 from cutting lawns and my Dad made up the rest to get to $4100. Looking back, I'm not sure how he came up with the dough. Money was tight. In retrospect, I feel bad for asking.  But anyway, I loved that car and not just because it talked when you didn't fasten your seatbelt. It sat in the garage for three months before I got my license and I might have taken it out when my parents were gone. I had to make sure there was oil in the turbo, after all. I never crashed it, but two years later, I got sick of the rough ride and embarrassing build quality and sold it to buy a 1983 VW GTI for $2300. That car changed my life. 

Hagerty Employee