cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #125: In which perhaps too much respect is shown, a wheel explodes, and the author is "stuck"

"You put me off three times, you know." The fellow delivering this news to me didn't seem angry. Maybe a touch disappointed. And who could blame him? He'd paid to race heads-up in the Formula Enterprise 2 class against a multiple National Champion, but some moron in a carbureted Radical kept knocking him into the weeds, forcing him to finish second in a field of ...
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-125-in-which-perhaps-too-m...
11 REPLIES 11
audiocage
Advanced Driver

As Thurber said, “You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backward.”
Swamibob
Technician

So, Jack;
Are you telling me the SCCA, which has a full rule book covering all sorts of things including Safety and I would think behavior, yet it doesn't have a set in stone, or at least written on stone, rules for how multiple classes should act when running on the same track? These sorts of things are down to region by region, or track to track, or even official to official? I've always thought the SCCA was really on top of their game, but that makes me question my thinking a bit.
I'm with the Official from Nelson Ledges, keep your line, it's the faster cars job to make the pass safely. Doing things the other way, seems way too unpredictable and with too many variables.

All of that aside: It's always fun to find new stuff and new challenges. Good on ya for this Radical departure, you're involved in. 🙂
Tsaxman
Advanced Driver

I have learned that automobile racing is much like owning a boat. As soon as you think you have the biggest boat in the marina, some oil sheik appears with a converted minesweeper and says,
"Get that dinghy out of my way!"

So, to me, it's like yoga, law or medicine. You can practice it all you want, but there is no way to become an absolute master. Unless your name is Andretti, Aryton, AJ and so forth.
win59
Advanced Driver

Danny McKeever explained to me (and IIRC Fred Flintstone...) in my first Cal Club drivers school, "It is the over-taking drivers' responsibility to complete a safe pass. If you are being overtaken, drive your normal line so the overtaking driver can work out how to pass safely."

Apparently the scrolls this was written on have been lost to antiquity - judging by the "professional" drivers I see on TV in these modern times.
And don't get me started on "Track Limits".
SuperDeLuxe
Advanced Driver

Happy birthday Jack! "He never did win no checkered flags, but he never came in last" 😂
RokemRonnie
Instructor

"It's been several years now since my Daddy passed away
But his picture's on my dash every time I go to race
I lost more than I won but I ain't gonna give up
Till they put me in the ground or Daddy's name's on that cup"
Daddy's Cup - Drive By Truckers
TonyT
Technician

Ask the Taylor brothers about "avoidable contact" and "safe passing" in light of their respective misadventures at the last Petit LeMans... You did nothing wrong. Also, add a drop of orange LocTite to your new grade 8 wheel bolts and locking nuts. It holds like red but allows disassembly if necessary.
Flatman
Pit Crew

Been awhile since I thought about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - thanks for the reference and quote.
Flashman
Technician

I guess you'll be making permanent repairs to the nose of your Radical over the winter too.
DougAlfa36
New Driver

Holding your line is the best way when being overtaken by a faster car. It tells the overtaking driver to figure out how to get around. And if you have the thought process and can do it safely a hand point will work when you go the usual line. Like coming thru Thunder Valley (MidOh) and a FE is about to eat your rear wing, a point to the left and a move all the way over to the right, allows the car to get around and you a good line thru the turn.
I was right behind you in practice at the MidOh Oct regional and back in the paddock I told the crew to watch for the green dsr, it could go badly. First time in the car? Good times that PM and Sun. DRB
RacerDon
Pit Crew

Hey Jack, if you are still interested in an SR3, I've got what may be the highest spec SR3 they built when these came out ... it's gotta go.