cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Avoidable Contact #121: In which a Radical is rescued, and raced, and crashed

If someone spins out in front of you, is it your fault? In 20 years of racetrack driving and 15 years of racing everywhere from Lemons at Flat Rock to MegaLAP at Malaysia's Sepang International Circuit, it had never occurred to me that such a thing could happen-but the great thing about racing is that you're always learning, or at least should be.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-121-in-which-a-radical-is-...
18 REPLIES 18
Brash
New Driver

Firstly, let me say that I signed up to write this comment, so take that as you like.

I would suggest that beyond intimidation you weren’t at fault for either incident. But then again, I’m used to the event supp regulations that I usually compete under (admittedly, time trial-based competition - don’t judge me!!) which is clear cut stating the faster car is solely responsible for a clean overtake. Similar wording is used for multi-class events as diverse as our little sprints at Mallala to international events like the Bathurst 12hr (means less now that that particular event is basically just another GT3 event) and LeMans 24hr.

Personally, I almost think I’d have stayed on the preferred line and made the faster car(s) work to make the pass. They’ve got more aero and more tyre so are better suited to being slightly off line than your awesome, even if obsolete little Radical.

Jack_Hagerty

The rabbit hole gets deeper, because it was suggested that I was racing out of class and therefore hindering someone else's race --- but the two formula cars that passed me were ALSO in different classes from each other and having their own little out-of-class race!

Pretty much every racing rule set in existence states that the car in front is allowed to make ONE move. Some let you have two. And one could also argue that MORE of the responsibility is on the passing car in club racing, as opposed to in time trial, where there is a clear understanding that you'll be watching your mirrors for faster traffic.
Swamibob
Instructor

Jack;

It sounds like there may have been a little too much class at that race. 🙂 🙂 🙂
audiocage
Detailer

"...you get out there, take a leisurely start, come up to pace after a few laps, then let the field sort itself out based on raw pace."

Oof. Run away. Far, far away.
Jack_Hagerty

I think we are getting a group of Radicals together for the next race, so as long as we aren't in anyone's way it should be fun. I hope.
banditracing
Pit Crew

eddy here. Some consistency would be nice-- like them doing something about BMWs roughing up Miatas for no good reason, or maybe letting both situations slide. Evidently you ventured into the country club dining room of the SCCA and forgot your cravat.

Using "You intimidated me a corner before" to suggest fault = hang it up dude, racing isn't for you. This is supposed to be a challenging activity! Sorry, reading that got my dander up. I didn't realize what a different world that was from SM/ITS/STL.
banditracing
Pit Crew

edit to say I'm not equating you to the BMW at all, just for them to be measured and rational about what contact to get excited about.
Jack_Hagerty

Neither did I! It's fairly nuts. Should be interesting to see how it plays out at Nelson Ledges in 10 days...
CitationMan
Instructor

I don’t know if this applies in the racing world, but when I am surprised by someone else’s maneuver on public roads and have to make an adjustment to my course, I usually get mad at myself for not anticipating the occurrence. Maybe Mr. Mid-Ohio isn’t as experienced as everyone thinks he is. Just my opinion as a definite nobody.
RokemRonnie
Advanced Driver

Can someone explain to me what happened on the previous turn at approximately 1:20 - 1:30 of the second video? It looks to me like Jack had the racing line but the other car went wide, Jack almost got inside him and then the other guy cut across Jack's path to get to the apex.
Jack_Hagerty

I took a passing line but I didn't want to force the issue. In a Spec Miata race I'd have taken that corner, but in open-wheel you have to accept the idea that you'll give up an easy pass to avoid upsetting someone.
RokemRonnie
Advanced Driver

It looks to me like he could have made the pass without cutting you off.

Flashman
Instructor

Not to mention your cool green helmet. Don't you still have a broken bone in your arm? Finally, how come you keep passing all the "faster" formula cars? Bad Jack!
Jack_Hagerty

That helmet was done by a young lady named Paige who paints under the nom de plume "Stripe Cult". And yeah I still have a free-floating broken bone in my wrist, it's not getting better, who knows why...
fotogmike
Intermediate Driver

Mr. Swank definitely overcooked it going into the corner, then locked up his right front when he started to spin. Maybe he was secretly trying to slow you down to keep from embarrassing the open-wheelers.
Jack_Hagerty

It's always best to assume people are trying to help you... easier to sleep at night that way! 🙂
Gary_Bechtold
Technician

If you keep passing the "faster" cars clearly they bought more car than they have talent to cash in at that moment. Pretty lame excuses by the dude as far as I am concerned.
win59
Detailer

If you race with wanks, you will be judged by wanks.