cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

At 85, Roger Penske just can't stop

So how's the car business? Roger Penske pulls out his phone. He can evaluate how all his dealerships (more than 150 in the U.S. alone) are doing, and how each of his brands (more than 30) is performing, with numbers as recent as, well, right now. "We're selling every single thing we have.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/at-85-roger-penske-just-cant-stop/
14 REPLIES 14
DUB6
Racer

For an old guy who has dabbled a bit in a few types of racing, but mainly just been a fan for many decades, it just doesn't get much better than Roger Penske. I have a great friend who is a pure Ganassi guy, and we have fabulous debates and friendly ribbing all IndyCar season long. This year, I'm in the catbird seat again. I've got a Pennzoil-Penske hat signed by Roger in the late '80s, and it is a prized possession. The man has just built an empire that very few others can even approach, and he just keeps on winning. I wish the team the very best as they tackle Le Mans. I won't be one bit surprised to see him win it all - it's just kind of what he does!
MustangJim
Technician

Incredible man, a legend and an inspiration. On a light note, I still have my chrome Roger Penske timing light.
DUB6
Racer

Ooooh - shiny!  😁

MustangJim
Technician

Yes! and it still works. Unfortunately my Roger Penske tach and dwell meter was lost in a flooded basement. 

Tsaxman
Instructor

I think he is very credible.
RokemRonnie
Instructor

A few years ago, around the time that Mary Barra was elevated to chair GM, I asked Roger Penske if he'd take that job. He laughed and said, "No, I'm having too much fun doing what I'm doing."
hyperv6
Collector

There is hardly any part of racing or business Roger has not touched. 

The best contribution has been he brought professionalism to Racing. He was the first to really treat it as a business and made sure the trucks the team and the cars were presented in a professional way. He gave the sponsors a prime image. 

DUB6
Racer

Timing is everything, they say - and sometimes quite funny.  Yesterday, after I wrote my comment below, a bright yellow truck came up the lane and stopped at the house.  It was a FedEx driver, dropping off a package - and yup, you guessed it, he was piloting a Penske box truck.  Even FedEx rents trucks from ol' Rog - imagine that!  😊

Looslib
New Driver

Can't remember how long he has been married! it is 49 years, not 39.
And Kathy has probably been trying for all 49 years to take his phone.
hyperv6
Collector

My fear is with all he has done and is doing when the day come who will replace him? It will take a number of people and the problem is will they have his drive and ambition. 

I know he has a great staff but there has only been one Roger. 

GoFast
Advanced Driver

you'd think Roger could afford an occasional haircut!
HELIDR
Intermediate Driver

Why? Maybe he just likes his look. Same as me being a 73 year-old hippie Doc!
DUB6
Racer

I'm fairly certain he can afford one, but as you say, maybe he just doesn't want one!  I'm certainly not going to question one of the most successful tycoons of the day as to his grooming choices!  😊

HELIDR
Intermediate Driver

Totally agree...