cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

At $36,750, is this beautiful beige brick a breakout Volvo?

There's a short-lived sitcom called Woops! in which the main character lives through a nuclear holocaust and has to settle into a post-apocalypse existence. "How did you survive the missiles?" someone asks. His reply: "I was in a Volvo."
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/at-36750-is-this-beautiful-beige-brick-a...
17 REPLIES 17
Gavin
New Driver

These are amazing vehicles. My parents went through five of them throughout mine and my two brother’s childhoods and each one took a beating. My middle brother barrel rolled the fourth one down a hill when he misjudged a turn and he got out with barely a scratch. I would love to buy one for nostalgic reasons but not for almost $40k.

PaulieWalnuts
New Driver

A 240 was the getaway car in Alan Bleasdales comic short film 'Requiem Apache'.
A family car made for the perfect cover....

Relevant scene here:

https://youtu.be/0vTzR4jsvJc?t=940
Jfslater98
Intermediate Driver

Let's not forget the getway of one W. White...
Not a wagon, but still a 240, I believe.
Jfslater98
Intermediate Driver
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

Solid reliable and functional. Not what you expect to go for 30k+ but strange days we are in.
georgeh
Pit Crew

My 1981 245 succumbed to the salt after 23 years. It was preceded by a 145 which suffered the same fate. My current V50 is 15 and unblemished.
audiobycarmine
Instructor

Have you moved to Arizona?
babysfirstvolvo
New Driver

I, like everyone else, was shocked by this sale price. Especially since I just saw a similar model with 30K miles sell on the VCOA website for $15k. I almost always get a comment from someone liking my '90 240 DL whenever I take it out. That's rarely the case when I drive my 911.
buellerdan
Detailer

Perhaps Volvo owners are more approachable than Porsche owners?
BWeston
Intermediate Driver

Even though we all know the durability of Volvos from the era - this is still a ridiculous amount of money for something that accelerates & drives like a cinder block on 4 wheels...a beige cinder block on four wheels at that!
audiobycarmine
Instructor

That would be their Diesel model.
brians356
Detailer

What kind of gas mileage might one expect from a 240 wagon (manual or auto)?
FartinMartin
Pit Crew

Yecch!
MoparMarq
Detailer

The neighbor is a Volvo guy. His wife drives a newer one, but he still drives his '89 wagon daily. I think it's a 240 (it's a 4 cylinder auto), but what do I know?
MattLaube
Pit Crew

I drive my 91 240 Brick everyday. "Hey...why do you drive such an old car" is the frequent comment by the students at the school where I work. "I'm frugal...I can fix it and I'm old"' ., I reply .This comment is just as common as ..."Hey man way cool old Volvo!"... Our first "family steed" 1967 144 was purchased from some flower children at Antioch collage for 153.00 about 30 years ago. I repaired it and my sisters (3) and younger brothers (2) learned to master the clutch and oxcart suspension. The younger finishing it off by being stupid and wrecking it racing a mikrobus.. Our family has many great Volvo stories ,but alas they have become but a shadow of their former selves..China...seriously..? A Swedish flag does not make a Swedish automobile. The 244 is truly a world car with Japanese transmission, German electrical ,French /belgique fuel injection and Swedish steel.
audiobycarmine
Instructor

..."a bit eccentric" as the article states...
I dad an '83 DL that my mechanic discovered had an Asian ignition system using Italian parts. He found this out when he broke the distributor while replacing the timing belt.
We looked EVERYWHERE for a replacement, (I even contacted some Volvo Penta motors places — the boat engines.) It took well over a month before finding one.

If FIAT means "fix it again Tony", then Volvo means "Very Object Lesson Vexingly Obtained" (yes, my own invention.)
audiobycarmine
Instructor

Oh, one other thing — I knew the 3(?) Million Mile P1800, driven by the late Irv Gordon.
He lived just one town over.