cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

As Alfa Romeo bids farewell to the 4C, the product pipeline needs filling | Hagerty Media

If you don't see many Alfa Romeos on your daily commute, that's because the brand only sold about 17,000 vehicles in the U.S. last year, roughly the same as rival BMW sells every 20 days.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/as-alfa-romeo-bids-farewell-to-the-4c-the-product-pipeline-needs-...
3 REPLIES 3
hyperv6
Engineer

Alfa in this country just has never really jived well. Italian cars in general have always been seen as cool but even if you can buy one the required maintenance always would eat you alive. When I mean required I mean bent valves required. I learned that from Fiat as timing belts at 25,000 mean 25,000 not 26,000 miles. 

For what you got here and the quirks it had there were some other very good options out there. You had to really want one to buy one of these. I know someone with one. It is a nice car but again you really have to be a loyal fan to buy one. 

As things move EV it will be interesting to see what happens to these brands like Alfa, Maserati and Aston. It will help them quality wise but they will lose that sound and feel that make them desirable. 

relton
Detailer

Alfa still hasn't realized that it takes more than being different to win in the US. You have to be different, and also have something people want. Alfa isn't going to cut it with BMW copies (as Cadillac has discovered), or quirky and odd sports cars. And, at least in Ann Arbor, I am told that the dealer experience isn't very pleasant.

Alfa needs o take a hard look at their products and ask themselves, "why would anyone buy our cars instead of a BMW or Audi"? Other companies could also benefit by doing the same.
GoFast
Detailer

Consider a new Corvette versus Alfa's lovely 4C. The Chevy costs less with twice the number of cylinders, double the horsepower, and a dealer in every medium sized city. You'd have to be very hardcore to vote Italian in this category.