cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Argyll GT: The (over)ambitious British supercar that time forgot | Hagerty Media

Lochgilphead is a small fishing port on the west coast of Scotland and you've probably never heard of it. But Bob Henderson aimed to change that in 1976 when, with the backing of rally driver Andrew Smith, he launched a supercar intended to show the men and women at Maranello and Sant'Agata a thing or two.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/argyll-gt/
16 REPLIES 16
Tinkerah
Technician

Did the photographer find that one while hiking on a hillside?
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Wow, this car's history is almost identical to that of the Bricklin saga; or in this case, should we say the "Britlin"?
drhino
Technician

My immediate thought on looking at it was a stretch limo version of a Lotus Esprit. Or maybe an Esprit with a glandular issue.
TonyT
Instructor

From the front bumper back to about eighteen inches, this is pretty cool. The rest of it, not so much. Did the designers not look at this thing outside on a dry day with no clouds? Oh yeah, Scotland. I wonder if that's where the phrase "put it where the sun don't shine" came from.
tvjake2
Pit Crew

The writer never told us how many they finally made??!?!
PRScott
Detailer

Who cares!
GRP_Photo
Instructor

"Henderson has always remained tight-lipped about ... production figures."
In other words, nobody can find out how many they made because the manufacturer won't say.
DT
Advanced Driver

Your Grasp of the obvious is profound !!!!!
GSM
Pit Crew

Given the photos I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of its off-roading capabilities. BTW, how did it get there anyway? Best I can figure is that it's gotta be another one of those zany Scottish pranks.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

Four caber-toss champions carried it there for a lark.
SJ
Instructor

Never heard of it, you guys sure find the oddballs, keep it up!
roadio55
Intermediate Driver

My first thought was a stretched Datsun 240Z or 260Z. When I read "two-seater" I was trying to figure out what was behind the second pair of windows. I wonder if the prototype had better proportions than the 2+2. Apparently, the handling remained spectacular despite everything else being cobbled together. Too bad he didn't license the chassis to someone who could put it on the market.
cwpm
Pit Crew

Looks a lot like my '84 300ZX turbo
Bill
Detailer

Looks like John DeLoreans inspiration, so glad these guys crashed and burned. And then they came back as the Aztek.
Billthecat707
Advanced Driver

My first thought, 4 seat DeLorean limo.
Reinhold_Weege
Instructor

Ad campaign starring Mike Meyers: "If it's not Scottish; it's CRRRAP!™"