cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Are you brave enough to bid on this 1989 Aston Martin Lagonda?

The Aston Martin Lagonda was designed to be the very best of British; a flagship with performance and technology that put mid-1970s Rolls-Royce and Bentley to shame. It would be the car to save Aston Martin (a phrase that has been used time and again over the company’s century of struggles) and tycoons the world over would line up to buy one.

Well, that was the theory anyway. In practice the William Towns-designed wedge almost bankrupted the company. It cost a fortune to develop, with the advanced electronics reported to have cost four times as much as the rest of the car. Its LED dashboard, which was later replaced by a supposedly more reliable cathode ray tube display, was a nightmare. No less than 40 touch sensitive switches adorned the interior, all just waiting to go wrong.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/are-you-brave-enough-to-bid-on-this-1989-aston-martin-lagonda/

3 REPLIES 3
spoom
Technician

Sorry, it looks like Hollywood chopped up a Cadillac to make a winter driver for the Griswold's next movie. It doesn't look good and I'm not going to buy a used car that doesn't make me smile when I look at it, no matter how valuable it may or may not be.

Spuds
Advanced Driver

What a pile.

MrScobbles
Passenger

So, a total of 38 years of ownership in just 31 years. Very good.