cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Are you Bandit enough to hit the road in this visionary sixth-gen Trans Am? | Hagerty Media

Just about every Pontiac lover still mourns the loss of one of America's coolest car brands. Pontiac built some of the brawniest muscle cars of the '60s and '70s and paired them with lurid graphics that were, quite frankly, over the top.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/are-you-bandit-enough-to-hit-the-road-in-this-visionary-s...
103 REPLIES 103
Corvettebaggs
Intermediate Driver

I agree with you TacoSueno. A Camaro by any other name is a Camaro. 😑
mwmyers91
Detailer

Passion is without sence, but "Say La Vie"
Envy
Pit Crew

I'll say "La Vie" if you c'est la vie

drhino
Instructor

“If you think the high-contrast graphics on the Judge were too much, or look at the garish, screaming hood bird on the Trans Am and clutch your pearls, perhaps a nice, understated Buick is more your speed—but to each their own.”
I would say it’s possible to have good taste and enjoy a great performing car at the same time.
Swamibob
Instructor

"I would say it’s possible to have good taste and enjoy a great performing car at the same time."
I agree completely, but I believe that would be Buick GS or GSX from the late 60's or early 70's. This is garish and out of proportion. althoguh some of that might just be teh weird angles of the pictures?
drhino
Instructor

“Dieters did admit that the audacious car has its detractors, who complain that it still has the basic silhouette of a Camaro.” The response to those folks is very simple: Every single Firebird ever produced had the basic silhouette of a Camaro. And shared the platform and glass, and many body parts, etc. Gads!
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Ask anyone from the Norwood or Van Nuys Plants...
60sMuscleGuy
New Driver

I appreciate what this is: a tribute to a legend. I think it's well-done. The T-Tops are classic and the underlying Camaro is a good foundation. While I like the back-end, I never liked the lower-cost duck-tail Camaro spoilers on the Trans Am, but I realize it is appropriate for the Bandit tribute. But the real problem for me is the front end. The Firebird was always heavily distinguished from the Camaro in the front end. The split grille is OK, but the rest is just Camaro.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Even though the 70's Camaro and Firebird shared the same center rear spoiler, in my opinion, the rounded/blended ends on the Firebird were vastly superior to the Camaro flat-plane look...
BL
New Driver

Actually not a bad job at all, but the price is a bit over the top. I would prefer a 70's restomod version for a lot less. I've seen real nice original examples for 25-30k, and I think you could probably restomod them for 50-60k very nicely.
MustangJim
Detailer

It's cool as a show car, I would not drive it. They just , in my opinion built a gaudy camaro. Will draw a crowd at a show and value is what someone will pay. I'd rather a nice clean camaro
JustinSchroder
Intermediate Driver

I like it. I also like the originals and The Judge. Just right...
TA76
Intermediate Driver

I have a '76 TA and is I had the money I would have a 6th generation one for daily driving!
MattK
Detailer

I'm ready for GM to move on from the retro thing. Lets see a new clean sheet, Modern design again for the Camaro and make it more livable to drive, not like sitting in a bathtub looking through gun slit windows.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

The 'bathtub-gun slit' combo is a product of the 'long hood-short deck-low roof' look first popularized in the 30's, and, let's not forget Crash Protection!

Try building a Race Car out of one of those bodies; either the Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger. You have to cut down the door, as most Snell helmets won't fit through the stock window aperture...

Insert smart comments about the size of Race Car Drivers heads here________________!
GC
Intermediate Driver

These guys did a TV series on the Velocity channel a few years ago detailing the building of these "Trans Ams". Like them or not, seems like they had quite a few customers.
Redvette2
Intermediate Driver

I like the execution and find the car interesting....just not $170K worth. However I bet it is fun driving around and pretending you're Bert and making a lot of smoke and noise. Does it come with a CB radio? 10-4.
Envy
Pit Crew

Ernie's friend "Bert" or Burt Reynolds...🤔...

🤣
Caprice81
Intermediate Driver

At $170,00 make that three original survivors.
daren627
Pit Crew

I think they do a good job, but for that kind of money I can buy three or four other cars I'd rather have. And while like most I think the original Bandits are awesome cars, I'm a fourth gen man. I could have bought a nice Smokey and the Bandit model for what I paid for my fourth gen WS6, but I much prefer mine. I guess I'm circling back around to the oft cited maxim here: to each his own.
MG54
Pit Crew

Pontiac Trans Am's, Bandit-Style, were long and lean. This Camaro re-work looks short and stubby.
JagXK8
New Driver

There was not a ton of difference between the looks of Camaros and Firebirds in the old days, so if Pontiac had survived, there would still not be much difference. The new Camaro is ugly as sin, but this new faux t/a I like a bit more. The biggest sin of all is that you sit deep in these cars and can't hang your elbow out the window. Is it worth 180k ? Heck no.
007JT
New Driver

I’m agreeing with a few people. For this kind of money, I’d buy a original and up the horsepower and suspension. This version looks ok, but not great. But, someone with more money than knowledge will probably buy it. Not knowing what you could build for that kind of money, and you always enjoy driving the real thing versus a knock off. Take care car cronies. JT
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

had me until second gen
Brockster
New Driver

Being a Hugh fan of the first generation Camaro, all the proportions for this one are correct. Trans Am DNA for sure. T-tops 'awesome'. I would love to pull up to a foreign sports car and blow their doors off with this one. Modern American Muscle wins the day.
AG1962
Detailer

To paraphrase some of the comments below: homage or fromage?
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Again, can't it be both?
PhillipinSD
Pit Crew

OMG that thing is butt ugly. Why even post such an aberration here. I hope you guys at Haggerty didn't insure this beast of ugliness for his crazy asking price. Because the only way someone will give him that much money for this thing would be if the insurer pays off after he "accidentally blows this thing up.
Ynot
New Driver

Burt is rolling over in his grave !,
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

That already happened when Sally played Forrest's Mom...
Ynot
New Driver

What ???
Is Burt Forrest’s daddy ?  🤣

bugeyed
New Driver

I like the car but not my cup of tea. Seems it invokes strong opinions. I wonder, if any of those folks who bashed it would refuse to take it for a spin. That's my criteria for hurling automotive insults. Hopefully they'll do an article on the "Smart Car" and I can hurl a few barbs.
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

There's a neighbor down the block from me who has a Mercedes triad mounted to the front of his Kia. This is just the $179,000 version of that. And it elicits the same reaction. I chuckle, shake my head, and say, "You're not fooling anybody, kid".
SJ
Advanced Driver

Firebird died after no more Pontiac engine as far as I am concerned. Anybody that buys that, I got a bridge for you to buy too.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

I would agree, as my first 'legal' car was a '64 GTO Tri-Power as a 16yr old. My Dad was a GM Guy, and had gone with Chevy's in '55 and '65, both Wagons to haul his growing family. The HP SBC's and Big Blocks available in my Used Car Price Range were exorbitant, so I became a Pontiac Guy, by default. The Olds in '77 wasn't totally terrible, and the SBC in '80 not the end of the World. The Turbo Poncho in the middle, well, let's just call it a misstep and move on...

The LT's and LS's of the 4th Gen?
Let's call that, "Success"...
chrlsful
Instructor

Y not ! I say. They brought back the others. Just gotta have the drk hair, sideburns, jeans, cowboy hat etc to drive it, eh?
I don't mind it 21st Centurized (the others were) even if a ford guy. Y not do it w/the corvair MrChevy (3.5 seater vert w/flat 4, air cooled turbo)? We did the bronk !
Frenchie
Intermediate Driver

Wow how can you bring the Camaro in the picture or story, you cannot insult the Camaro i own a 1986 Camaro believe me it turns heads my Iroc Z is a beautiful and powerful classic 5 speed manual 350 small block powered to 600 hp 5.7 LT1 Corvette motor I will eat up the Trans Am lol
Rider79
Instructor

Lotsa work went into this. What a waste - this thing is a half-step above atrocious. Why a half-step? Because of the quite attractive black-and-gold colours.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

The '74 SD Showcar from the Detroit AutoRama decked out in JPS colors, LIVES!
Still443
Intermediate Driver

Some people seem to like to put these cars down. I've seen these cars up close at Amelia Island and the workmanship is incredible. I see "Resto Mods" on the televised auctions that go for the amount being asked for this car and some would not blink an eye at what they bring. They're not for everyone, but I happen to like them. I just get bored with the tiresome "It's just a Camaro" rhetoric.
SJ
Advanced Driver

Smart guy, now I see why he made this Frankenstein:"He’s selling his car in part to finance the restoration of several second-gen Trans Ams that were damaged when Trans Am Specialties of Florida suffered from a devastating fire...." I got to drive a 455 SD Trans Am, what a hoot!
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

I'll hang onto my 2nd Owner '74 SD 4spd car for that very reason...
grad
New Driver

Take the 1000 hp option and run beside the hellcat
Envy
Pit Crew

Looks like...

Some sh*t
Envy
Pit Crew

More proof that a fool and money are easily parted.
Ral
New Driver

This just looks like a Camaro painted in TA trim. And it is not that good looking. I quickly take a pass on this because there is nothing to see here.
Ral
New Driver

Not sure what happened to my first post. Anyway trying again. This is just a Camaro painted in TA trim. Not exciting & nothing to see here.
Tinkerah
Technician

He's sure getting his money's worth out of that SCCA license. It must say "Trans Am" on it in at least fifty places. Twice on the steering wheel alone.
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I have a hard time with this car. It's a Camaro. Naming it a Trans Am doesn't make it a Pontiac Trans Am. Pontiac and it's cars are regrettably dead. It's a body kit on a Camaro. Arguably buying a ZL-1 Camaro is a smarter decision if you want this platform in supercharged guise. I love the 70's Firebird/Trans Am's but $170k+ for a body kit and some mods, I just can't...
espo70
Intermediate Driver

Let's forget about the price fora moment. While I appreciate the work done here to bring the TA back (and love the t-tops!), the fundamental issue for me is not the F-body brand sharing, it's the cross-generational choice. The most iconic generation of the Firebird is the 2nd, which is clearly what the designers are gunning for. But, they chose a car based on the 1st gen F-body. So the end is a mish-mosh of styling cues that aren't really cohesive. It looks too much 1st gen Camaro. An easier and more logical choice would have been to design a first gen TA from the Camaro. But while that model is iconic as well, its not nearly as so.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a huge F-body fan. I cut my car loving teeth on 2nd and 3rd gen Firebirds. To some, this might be the rebirth of a legend. To me, its just a sad reminder of bad decisions made by GM.