cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Are you Bandit enough to hit the road in this visionary sixth-gen Trans Am? | Hagerty Media

Just about every Pontiac lover still mourns the loss of one of America's coolest car brands. Pontiac built some of the brawniest muscle cars of the '60s and '70s and paired them with lurid graphics that were, quite frankly, over the top.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/are-you-bandit-enough-to-hit-the-road-in-this-visionary-s...
103 REPLIES 103
TacoSueno
Pit Crew

Not worth $170k -rather restore an original
TOG
Pit Crew

Got that right!
And NOTHING will EVER replace those 455 HO and 455 SDs.
TOG
Bill
Detailer

I had a 1970 TA and a 1975 TA, the first thing I did with both was peel of the Chicken.
45 years ago.
Bill
Detailer

still, very cool car
Envy
Pit Crew

...if you park it in...

Alaska
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

When I repainted my '74 SD 30yrs ago, I left off the Hood Bird and all the TA and SD decals; just don't need the extra attention...
hyperv6
Gearhead

The Bandit did not drive a Camaro. 

aircor
New Driver

I'm a Ford man thru & thru, but did have a 68 FB with a 455 in it, a very hot car. I could see myself driving this Bird, it is awesome.
OldFordMan
Detailer

Shut my mouth! You, a Ford Man, should NEVER even be caught dead and propped up in a Trans Am! There is no BLUE OVAL on any of them! LOL
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

(IMO) The "Bandit" styling cues on this one just don't work for me, as the proportions are all wrong. Too stubby looking; if I was going to have one, I'd rather it to be an original one. 🙂
mshb
Pit Crew

To each his/her own, but this is just a hideous Frankenstein. If you want to honor Pontiac out of a Camaro, would be interesting to try it with a ‘69 T/A look, since the current body type is more akin to that than the second gen...
stevenj
New Driver

to me it looks like the last generation of the AMC/AMX. not a fan, just my opinion.
ESB19SS
Pit Crew

When most guys were boulevarding with their T/As in the early 70's, I preferred the more conservative Z28. No different now. I just sold my 6th Gen Camaro SS. Maybe I should try to get it back.
TOG
Pit Crew

The '70-'71 Firebird's nose has it all over the Camaro, sorry.
None finer !
TOG
mikem350
Pit Crew

Actually, that beautiful nose went from 70-73!
Waterboy1KHY80
Intermediate Driver

What a beauty, my wife a has an all original (AZ Car) completely restored 1977 TA summer cruiser, not the powerhouse of these modern creations, but she enjoys it all the same. You want to see an amazing video of these cars? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iMnsOPPNI
bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

Cool vid!
Montrose
Pit Crew

Obviously, you cannot replicate the original look of a Trans Am, but I give him credit for what he has done here. He has created a unique and very special tribute to a car that was special to him and to many others. Kudos to him.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

Ah -- the eternal question is asked again: Is it cheese or is it fromage ?
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Technically, it's both; now we're just talking price...
TrailorParkBoy
New Driver

I had a '75 Firebird. Great car! Traded in a '71 Challenger to buy it. Would love to have either car now.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

"Priorities, Priorities..."
mags56
Pit Crew

Hopefully for $180k they throw in a free mullet.
Mot
New Driver

And maybe a few gold chains and a Members Only jacket to complete the Trifecta .
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

THAT you could say to Burt...
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

You wouldn't say that to Burt...
Figuero
Intermediate Driver

I don't like tattoos on cars.
Envy
Pit Crew

🤣
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Which is why it was always optional...
Tim
Instructor

It seems if you are old enough to have owned a T/A, you are offended by this. But if you are just a bit younger and we're a kid, you see the retro-modern take in a more positive light. I would do just a few things slightly differently if I had $180K to throw at a $50K car, but overall, I like what they did.
sclin10
Detailer

Seeing this 'Pontiac' and other similar concepts, I think GM made a big mistake shuttering the division and keeping Buick (I realize the reason, China was a big market for Buick, bigger than the US).
TOG
Pit Crew

Obviously GM made a YUGE mistake killing Pontiac.
YUGE!
TOG
MattK
Detailer

If if iffifffiffifffifffiffiff iff if if if if ughhh it wasn't ughhh 2010, maybe you could blame him.
MattK
Detailer

Yes that's right China was a big reason GM kept Buick. China also influences BMW and the new Hideously designed massive Grill which is now vertical.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

As a former Buick/Pontiac Dealer, I must agree...

As Olds (the Original GM Division) before them, GM felt Pontiac had become 'irrelevant' and made the 'hard choice'. I mourned the loss of the Fiero (kept an '88, uprated with a 2L Turbo), but mourned the intro of the Aztek (Ugh!). Buick went from 4 lines of 'full-size' cars, to 4 lines of SUV variants...

Much like Plymouth, LaSalle, and Edsel, there was just no more room for 'Tweens'...
westernbiker
New Driver

I would rather have my 1976 455HO TA than this stubby version.
uweschmidt
Detailer

Like it was Said Loudly and I agree TO EAcH HIS (OR HER OWN)but the engine Bay looks like the Guts of a Freshly killed Moose to me and a lot of the Beauty of a great Vehicle was in th engine now its just a Look at me Exterior and the Horsepower that is supposed to Impress
Spudsly
Intermediate Driver

Not even close to any TA. Camaro fans should be very upset...
carguyjim
Detailer

The rear is a bit strange and way too much gold for me but that said, the car looks fantastic and a job well done!
Envy
Pit Crew

"too much for me but ... it looks fantastic."

Better get some meds for that schizophrenia
carguyjim
Detailer

When you have had the Automotive experience I have had, you may offer something relevant... fool...
SLD
Pit Crew

I’m seeing lots of negative comments about this car. Even if you aren’t a fan, at least appreciate the creativity and work that has gone into this car. It’s a beautiful interpretation of what the Trans Am could have been if Pontiac had survived.
TOG
Pit Crew

If Pontiac had survived the real Trans Am would have looked WAY BETTER than this thing.
TOG
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

With the 'cradle to grave' marketing strategies of GM Divisions, Pontiac was always slotted a 'cut above' as was Olds vs Buick, and the DNA of the Firebird was always predicated on what the Chevy Guys provided. Chevy had the Sales Numbers, and nearly double the Dealerships, so Pontiac focused on the more upscale upholstery, bigger engines, more 'power' options, and the like. Most years, it was a nice fit, but some provided for more head-to-head comparisons, which was reflected in the annual sales numbers. Not all remember Chevy ditched the vaunted Z/28 in the mid-70's, while Firebird, and particularly Trans Am sales soared...
007khez
New Driver

I agree with Montrose. While it can never look like it was cut from the same mold as the original, he did an awesome job at creating a car that is an homage and tribute to a car he dearly loves.

Yes it is shorter but I was never a fan of late gen Firebirds because of that LONNGG look. I preferred the early look. But, it is unique. I love the tilted exhausts, the raised hood scoop (gone from cars for far too long in my opinion), rear treatment and also the nose.

Yes there's something about it that still feels Camaro-like but it doesn't look like a Camaro. And the T top?
Its about time!

Every car is somebody's vision and has both strong and weak points. So there is much to appreciate about it even if it's not your cup of tea. Take the new Vette for instance! Some probably hate it because it no longer has styling cues that "look" like a Vette. While others love it for the same reason. Either way, just like the new Corvette, this is exotic, well executed and the lines achieve a balance.

Both cars stand out because they are different, cool and unique, not because they are ugly! THAT honor STILL belongs to ANOTHER Pontiac... whose name starts with a capital "A" and ends with a "c." Universally acclaimed as the ugliest car ever (I know, I conducted a survey!! lol), well it's not really a car,
it's an "SUV".
Brockster
New Driver

Well said, but Aztek ends with a "k"
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Yes, but 'Astre' ends with an "e"...
Aquay_Mizmo
Intermediate Driver

I would love to have one of the Trans Am Reborn editions that was done up in white with the single square headlights (ala 1970)..............for $70K
Jolly79TA
New Driver

The 170K price of that fine ride makes me feel even better on my classic 79 TA restore.