cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Are these seats from the first Corvette prototype—and are they worth $90,000?

How much would you pay to own the original bucket seats from the very first Corvette prototype? A seller on eBay is hoping the answer is $90,000.

Offered by user “ncrstopflight” in Portage, Indiana, the fiberglass seats and red cushions purportedly come from one of five cars that General Motors built in 1952–53 under the name Project Opel. In fact, the seller claims they come from the very first prototype, EX-52 [#852 in internal Chevrolet documents], which was built in December 1952 and shown in the GM Autorama at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York on January 17, 1953.

The seller claims to have proof of the seats’ authenticity, which he/she will share only with the buyer ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/are-these-seats-from-the-first-corvette-prototype-a...

66 REPLIES 66
Intermediate Driver

Even with proof, not worth 90k to me!  Nor, $9.

Pit Crew

So what if they’re the original seats; who cares? I wouldn’t pay 9 cents for them. Although, there’s a sucker born every minute. Some people have more money than brains.

Pit Crew

I love Corvettes and have owned 3 including my current one and even as a die hard fan I wouldn't spend that kind of money. Maybe $90000 for the whole EX car, but for the seats only. No thanks.

Pit Crew

Wow. So if I'm reading it correctly, the car these were apparently in doesn't exist and was nothing more than basically a 1:1 model kit. I have to go with Historian on this one...pretty much worthless. If these sell at least we'll know the exact time the world lost its last trace of common sense!
New Driver

I guess if you have more money than brains,you would pay 90 grand .

Pit Crew

the collectible car market is fascinated with "barn finds" that barely escaped the crusher...these seats have little value unless one of the 5 pre-production Corvettes can be found in similar destroyed condition needing seats...obviously these seats have sat out in the weather for years...what happened to the car they came out of?

Pit Crew

The idiocracy is real....and it's here to stay.  This is proof.

Intermediate Driver

The only thing you can do with them is display them and watch all your friends laugh at you for spending 90k on two ratty seats.

Intermediate Driver

If I had these seats they'd take up precious garage space while gathering dust. After tripping over them one time too many I'd get sick of them and put them out at the curb Monday morning for the trash guy to pick them up.