cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An heirloom Thunderbird passes from state to state and from generation to generation

My husband, Sean, and I officially took over ownership of my family’s 1956 Ford Thunderbird in May of last year. The T-Bird has been in my family more than 50 years, and rather than truck it from my parents’ home in Gilbert, Arizona, we decided to embark on a road trip along the West Coast to bring her to our place in Bothell, Washington.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/bird-flies-north-an-heirloom-thunderbird-passes-from...

Replies (6)

Replies (6)

Ashley, I got my '56 Bird when I was 15, in 1966.  I kept it through HS and University, putting 183,000 miles on it in 7 years.  I sold it when I was 23; when my Dad, who helped me get it and make it a great looking and great car, heard, he just said, "You'll be sorry."  Of course, he was SO right.  Oh, and small world, my daughter and I visited Sea Lions Cave just a few summers ago!  Glad for you and for your husband.  Enjoy!

New Driver

Epic car, epic drive, epic couple. Having driven your entire route (on multiple occasions, separately), I can only imagine the joy doing it in one trip, in a car just one-year newer than me.

Passenger

Great story! I've always wanted to drive the PCH. thank you

New Driver

Compared to most modern sedans or coupes, my '55 Bird DOES have a huge

trunk ... now, I will allow that the full size spare tire uses a LOT of that space.

Pit Crew

I love that your ancestors took off the continental kit because it makes the car look so much better.  

Pit Crew

Good for you, Ashley! You and Sean now have a happy memory in spite of this crazy tailspin we're in. I'm a Tennessean but Bellingham is top of my list for lovely small towns we've visited.

New Driver