cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

Allard returns after 62 years with 1953–55 JR continuation series

Six decades after the Allard Motor Car Company shut its doors, and 54 years after founder Sydney Allard’s death, the British automaker is back with the introduction of Allard Sports Cars’ JR continuation series.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/allard-returns-after-62-years-with-1953-55-jr-continuation-series...

3 REPLIES 3
DougSabbag
Passenger

One September day, in approximately the year: 1997, on my way to the British Invasion Car Show in Stowe, Vt., in my 1969 Triumph TR-6, as I was cruising along Highway 89, I came upon what I believe is this Allard automobile, likewise cruising toward the same destination.   

The driver of that car and I transitioned into a race 'dynamic', wherein, our competitive spirits took over and our relaxed cruise evolved into an all out - pedal to the metal - competition.  

I have no idea if his pedal was to the metal, but, mine was.  

Eventually, after pulling far enough ahead to feel victorious, I pulled off to get gas and check the oil.  While I was there with my hood up, that car pulled in too and the driver immediately came over to me and without saying anything to me, checked my engine serial number - then exclaimed:  Ahhhh, that explains it!  He was apparently knowledgeable of TR6s enough to know my extremely early one had a higher compression cylinder head than most on the road. 

We exchanged pleasantries and each returned to our relaxed cruise the remainder of the way to the British Invasion. 

Memories.....

Doug Sabbag 

Montrose
Pit Crew

So nice to see these continuation vehicles being made.  This is the time for many of us to buy the cars we could not drive back then, and at a price that is somewhat affordable (compared to the originals).

MGAlover
Pit Crew

Growing up it didn’t take long to see that cars were the package that excitement came in.  By the age of eleven or so I was smitten bad by the sports car love bug.  A long time friend of my father appeared one day in front of our modest little house driving an Allard, a Cadillac Allard, with the top down and a sexy blonde at his side.  Until then I had accepted that it was self-evident that the automotive universe consisted of cars tied to Detroit car barons. This was an era when a 1949 Ford was considered a cool ride around my small hometown in western Pennsylvania.  After seeing the Allard, American cars would seem forever mundane to me. For a few brief years, 1947 to 1957, Allard, this small company in London, England produced a series of competition and road cars that came close to dominating the world sports car racing and rallying scenes.  They were fast and possessed handling characteristics that bordered on being evil. Although I was too young to appreciate their legacy, I did grasp that the middle-class America I knew would never own something so impractical.  I knew I had seen something special that day and it burned itself into my brain.  And while I never owned an Allard I have owned at least one or more sports cars my entire life.