cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Airstream: 90 years of American adventures

Airstream, the all-American adventure icon, was born 90 years ago. Founded on a wanderlust that never left, the brand has been on an incredible journey which began in 1931 with its founder Wally Byham. Now, the silver bullet trailer is the subject of a compelling documentary titled Alumination which tells the Airstream story through amazing archive footage and interviews with generations of enthusiasts.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/airstream-90-years-of-american-adventures/
8 REPLIES 8
drm101
Detailer

We had a 1970 Safari from 2003 to around 2016 that we fixed up. Took it from MI out to Yellowstone, Colorado, Virginia, and many trips around MI. We like the 1969 and 1970 models because they are a little wider than older models, have the vista view windows up front, but still have real wood interiors. If we buy another, it will be a '69 or '70 International Caravel, Safari or Tradewinds model with a booth in the front
OldFordMan
Advanced Driver

I kept reading hoping to hear the details of someone gutting the inside of the Airstream pictured as the lead of the article. The puny little Falcon would have its hands full pulling up an ant-hill! LOL
thetossedtool
Intermediate Driver

My first car was a '63 Falcon. My first thought when seeing the article was, "No way that Falcon is pulling that Airstream!"
Harrdware44
Intermediate Driver

Love the article. Looking forward to the day when Hagerty can insure my vintage Airstream!
Jackrambler
Pit Crew

Did Hagerty write a policy for the couple in the top picture, the one with the Falcon? The folks are parked in a live lane on the wrong side of the road. Also, I wonder how it is there are no tracks from their car to the place where they are on the dune. Pretty image, though.
merlebalke
Advanced Driver

As the not very proud owner of a 1960 and 1961 Falcon, I can say that I can't imagine that Falcon pulling a trailer.
jtchew
Pit Crew

Adorable top picture, but if that's where I think it is (White Sands National Monument), that little Falcon was sure earning its living and must have been a real barrel of monkeys if the wind was blowing!

I'm guessing was an I6 model, which in those days meant 144 cubes standard, 170 optional, and four main bearings—more a future legend than a fully realized one. I can't tell if the car has Sprint badging, indicating the laat-half-year option of a 260 V8.

I once drove up San Augustin Pass in a Comet with the 144 and a two-speed Slush-o-Matic, which admittedly is sandbagging the problem, but even without a trailer on, it was... an exercise in patience.
Abhinn
New Driver

Loved the article.